ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Raspberry Pi

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Anyone selling one of these? I can only see them on eBay and they are really over-priced. But I could do with one for xbmc as I only have a laptop now.

Personally I'd find an AppleTV2 on ebay and get that instead, it'll be far more capable for video playback and will have a remote etc.

AK

M240i
ATV2 are commanding a high premium ATM till ATV3 can be JB.

For the price RPi is good. Depends on budget.

My end aim is to have an ATV as well, lol.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
ATV2 are commanding a high premium ATM till ATV3 can be JB.

For the price RPi is good. Depends on budget.

My end aim is to have an ATV as well, lol.

Ahh...but it's s**t for XMBC, once it's having to deal with content that the hardware can't decode in hardware, it all starts breaking down.

I'm not even talking about video, even if you have the video in say h264 (which is hardware accelerated) but it's in the wrong container type, then the processor has to get involved and it shows up how useless it actually is. Same for audio.

I only ran XBMC on it for a laugh and I got one.

AK

M240i
Ah right I see.

I think my mate mentioned XBMC isn't quite a stable build yet. I'll wait and see :).

AK

M240i
What's the code for? Interested as why I've not had a delivery note etc when mine was ordered when the first batch was released, lol.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Dunno just landed in my inbox, im assuming its a single allowance of a Pi

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Mine came Friday

Managed to find a PSU today so been having a play for the last hour.

It's not bad, running the Debian build from the pi website, it's fast for what it is. Just installed synaptic and tring out a few apps before doing anything else. VLC to begin with.

Might buy a couple more SD cards so I can run different OSs simply.

Mine came Friday

Managed to find a PSU today so been having a play for the last hour.

It's not bad, running the Debian build from the pi website, it's fast for what it is. Just installed synaptic and tring out a few apps before doing anything else. VLC to begin with.

Might buy a couple more SD cards so I can run different OSs simply.

I'm in the same boat as you, I want to try the XMBC build but that needs a 4gb+ card and I cant be arsed to keep formatting!

What are you doing for a case?

7277851192_8f4e485f53_c.jpg

Raspberry Pi Case by matthew-evans, on Flickr

I ended up making one from a generic box from Maplins!

I still haven't really done anything with it yet for the pure fact I'm not sure what to use it for!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Is that your case? That's pretty cool, I'd buy one of them if you made me one :eek:

Mine is currently balanced on a cardboard box! A small one like what memory comes in.

Last edited:
I'm amazed there's still no decent cases actually out in production yet it's annoying!

I wish this was something worth reproducing, it looks ok and probably will work ok, but it's pretty pants; the board is only being supported by the ports, far from ideal tbh :(

What sort of power supply have you got? Currently I'm using my mains iPhone plug with my Kindle cable, so far from ideal and need to get one cheap!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
iPad plug + blackberry USB cable, so same lol.

Managed to get a media played installed yet? VLC and gmerlin both fail due to files missing on the debian servers :(

Not even tried yet!

I got sidetracked and am currently watching Safe House, did you get the GUI up and running ok?

Hmm I guess there maybe something on the forums about it? If you find out let me know as I think this is my next port of call :)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Yeh pretty simple to get it all setup tbh.

Going to dig out another card and try xbmc tomorrow

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I'm amazed there's still no decent cases actually out in production yet it's annoying!

I wish this was something worth reproducing, it looks ok and probably will work ok, but it's pretty pants; the board is only being supported by the ports, far from ideal tbh :(

What sort of power supply have you got? Currently I'm using my mains iPhone plug with my Kindle cable, so far from ideal and need to get one cheap!

The SOC (processor, GPU combo) is covered by an NDA. The people behind raspberry pi work for Broadcom who make the SOC.

Because its covered by NDA, all the interesting parts of it are in binary form, no source code. So without reverse engineering or somebody having access to the required documents, it's not possible to make the board do anything interesting without the pi supplied binary drivers.

Polo + Micra
got mine on thursday

running debian at the moment as that's the one linux i know a little about

overclocked seems to help it a little

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Just installing XBMC and wow, this thing seems funny with SD cards, I had a couple that it didn't like and ended up wiping my debian card to get it going.

Will report back if I ever get it installed.....

Just installing XBMC and wow, this thing seems funny with SD cards, I had a couple that it didn't like and ended up wiping my debian card to get it going.

Will report back if I ever get it installed.....

Forgot to do it before, so trying XMBC now :)

What version are you using?

I'm going to be trying OpenELEC-RPi_r11203_4GB from the forums, I believe that's the most recent user-compiled version anyway!

Got it running now, tbh it looks awesome, not that quick but I'm loading in all my shares etc so it's caching film info and stuff like that, will try playback soon!

Here's a picture of my new "case" too, it's by the Pi Shop (I think?), also have an expansion bay below so potentially going to hook up a transportable battery pack for it :)

7336870226_78980eaae0_c.jpg

Raspberry Pi Case by matthew-evans, on Flickr

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
That case is pretty cool!

I'm running raspbmc, quick video! It's really good quality, smooth streaming, skipping forward is pretty quick too. I'm dead chuffed with it :D

This is streaming off an old computer upstairs.

Last edited by a moderator:

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Have they produced more units now?

If you need an RS code you can have mine, no idea if that gets you one quicker :S

Just got the iOS remote app, a brilliant media streaming solution for anyone on a tight budget!

Last edited:
  Ibiza SC
You'll be looking at a September delivery if ordering one now, we are constantly getting more units in though.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Got it running now, tbh it looks awesome, not that quick but I'm loading in all my shares etc so it's caching film info and stuff like that, will try playback soon!

Here's a picture of my new "case" too, it's by the Pi Shop (I think?), also have an expansion bay below so potentially going to hook up a transportable battery pack for it :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthew-evans/7336870226/

Got my PiHouse the other day :approve:

b0ac3f20.jpg

:) snap, it's not a bad case, my old worry is it's movement is limited by the position of some of those small chips (capacitors or resistors i think), so if you end up dropping it or anything I think the Pi will die :(