ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ramps or axle stands?

R35 GTR
Thinking about adding some ramps to my kit. I would feel safer under the car with these. Plus i think I can safely get more working space compared to stands.

Anyone had experience using ramps vs trolley jack and axle stands?

Clio 197
Got some ramps which i used on the rear of my punto because the front wouldnt go up due to being on its arse and the clio wont go up front of back so they sit in my garage gathering dust. Think the 1*2 would get up on the rears but not at the front.

R35 GTR
Got some ramps which i used on the rear of my punto because the front wouldnt go up due to being on its arse and the clio wont go up front of back so they sit in my garage gathering dust. Think the 1*2 would get up on the rears but not at the front.

Hmm really? might have scuppered my plans then. :dapprove: Anyone else actually managed to drive onto ramps?

Rb182cup+s2 rallye
i got a set of both hybrid doesnt stand a chance in hell of getting on ramps unless you arse about jacking it up and putting it half way onto the ramp lol.

supose it wouldnt hurt to have either, axle stand if you need the wheel off and ramps if you just need to get underneath.

I find ramps a pain in the backside.

I think my dad has done it, but he puts a plank of wood under each wheel first (of the end of the car not going up the ramp) then he drives up the ramps.

Lots of Alfas
I prefer ramps, the jacking points on Clios always bend. But youll still need stands and trolley jack if you need the wheels off.

R35 GTR
I prefer ramps, the jacking points on Clios always bend. But youll still need stands and trolley jack if you need the wheels off.

have you managed to drive on then? I think I'll get some bits of woods as well to give a bit more clearance of the splitter.

I need to try and remove exhaust downpipe from the turbo, dont want to be taking wheels off or subframe...

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Axle stands or ramps , depends what i'm doin' . No problems with ramps for the 182 as i made them myself ;)

I pefere a proper lift but realy I wouldn't bother with ramsp I don't find them any help as most the time the wheels are off anyway.

visualize whirled pe

Exactly what I did. On my last car I took the rear mudflaps off and was just able to reverse it up onto the ramps, then i jacked up the front to wire brush and underseal the whole underside.

Ramps do make you feel a bit safer, but well placed axle stands should be safe so long as some numpty doesn't decide to lean on the car while you are underneath.

Z4 Roadster
I used ramps to change my exhaust, feels much safer (I've not actually got any stands however). No chance of driving up the ramps front ways, unless you put some wood down to lower the angle (as mentioned above).

how do people stop the ramps from moving when you drive onto them?
That's why they get on my nerves. I usually have to put something heavy behind them to stop them moving. Either that or get someone to put thier foot on them (dad & bro usually)

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
I have to jack my car up to get it on the ramps and then kick them under the wheels. When I do use them, I always invert one so the car can't roll off.