ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RAGE [PC]

Sorry, I'm having trouble finding the original thread :eek:

I have finally got around to buying this game, as I noticed it's £13 on Steam. Initial impressions are that the gunplay seems decent. The enemies I've fought so far were pretty generic though. Dozens of seemingly identical gimps doing identical things, and dying identically. Hmmm...perhaps not the best of starts to a shooter?!

Graphically it's worryingly inconsistent. The vistas look fantastic, but textures, and anything you interact with, are comically low quality. Seriously, some of the assets wouldn't look out of place in in the original Half-Life. WTF? Speaking of assets, considering that most of the textures and items are of such poor quality, how the f**k does this weigh in at 21GB? Oh and the NPCs are terribly animated. Also, when I save, why does the game pause? Talk about breaking the immersion.

TBF I'm thinking it's probably a decent game, but technically it feels ten years older than it is. The game mechanics feel no different to something from the Doom 3 era. Pretty shoddy stuff. IIRC this game was marketed as some kind of coding masterpiece. Pull the other one you mugs!

Anyway yeah. Don't expect many people to be interested.

Oh I was gonna download this myself.

IS it not worth the hassle then??

I think it's worth £13.

It's worth noting that many early players will have been put off by the technical problems. For the most part the game appears fixed now, but it's still little more than a dated feeling shooter dressed up in prettier clothes. Prettier that is until you get within 10ft of anything.

I didn't like Fallout. Thought it was a terrible shooter and was awful to play with keyboard and mouse. Although I've since really enjoyed Skyrim and thus realised that Fallout isn't really a shooter in the classic sense.

I haven't played enough of RAGE yet to form a proper opinion of the game as a whole, but when you're in your very first gunfight, emptying entire clips into a bloke's face and hitting nothing, you know it might not be the best shooter you're ever gonna play. I'll report back if my opinion changes after some more progress.

Also it seems to suffer terribly from the "why can I not climb over this waist high fence?" roping the player in syndrome.

I played it for about 2-3 hours and it was ok, Nothing special and like munson said with interactive bits are lower res. It's like an old cartoon where you know what rock is about to fall on the coyote.

Good easter egg though lol

Not a 320d
I think I managed 10 minutes before giving up. Graphically it was poor and the gameplay even poorer.

Reminds me of a game from back when STALKER was made and that was pushing its luck on release due to delays.

Fair enough, All I needed to hear was 'waist high fence syndrome'. That's enough to kill a game IMO, if you're going to set a border, don't do it with a small fence!

Monaro VXR
Depending on your GPU it will pick the textures that will work best with your setup.

Unfortunately it doesn't always pick the best it can, so you can edit configs to force 8k or 16k textures and various other improvements. Which is where the install size comes in, many people will only see 4k-6k textures in most cases. Very rarely does it auto enable the higher res stuff. So you have to edit the configs. Although this could have been fixed since I last played, seeing a it's ID though....Probably not.

Just have a look around online at some of the tweaks, it can be made to look half decent.

Ah cheers. I'll look into that.

Rolling GTX580 SLI which I'd like to think could handle anything this game could throw at them, so I should be good.

So I have tried these texture tweaks, and frankly it still looks bad. It's a really weird looking game. Sometimes you'd swear that items in the near vicinity aren't actually made from polygons. Lots of stuff looks like flat bitmaps. Grainy, washed out ones at that. More than thrice I've had to navigate around something just to prove it's polygonal. Everything in the distance looks great, but get within 10ft and most stuff looks awful.

It would be no problem if the game was good, but frankly it's not. The story is terribly written, the voice acting is wooden. I've had another couple of gunfights, and whilst the enemies were new, their tactics, animations and deaths were all identical. Again.

Steaming turd of a game. Avoid at all costs. Thirteen pounds will buy you a few pints, and whilst you'll piss them up the wall, it's far less wasteful than investing time in RAGE.