ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Raceland - Edinburgh

Did a search and couldn't find anything on this

I am going to Raceland karting next week, using the outdoor track.

Anyone else been/had experience with the track?

Getting it a bit cheaper as we are good friends with the Clydebank Scotkart marshalls and we are getting in with them for a wee session.

Any advise for good lines to take etc?

Track 172cup
yeh been there before and it's a really good track, they have twin engined karts there aswell which are pretty quick

as for 'lines', it's only karting but it would have the same principals of any racing with regards to enter wide then keep tight to the apex through the corner and exit wide

one tip though is you can take the bottom corner at the end of the longest straight a lot quicker than most people expect so thats one of the best places to gain a bit of time or pass (more than likely pass on the corners just after)

MY10 R35 GTR
oming out of the tight hairpin and up the straight to the first coner (90 right) and the same again on the 2nd corner??? (90 right). Heading down to the hairpin brake late but it a corner thats best taken slow in and fast out. Cos If you get that wrong then you loose s**t loads of time up the hill.

Next corner is a wide hairpin left with is taken pretty quick, then your heading back down the hill to a wide 90 right, you should be taking this almost flat out, maybe a lift before you turn in. Short striagt then into a hairpin right, as soon as your on the power your should be flat out through the next series of 3 left handers. Another short stright then in to a wide double right, jsut miss the first curb then hook up the right front wheel on the white line infont of the second curb.

Then up the straight 90 rght onto another small strigh into a very tights hairpin left, again slow in fast out.

Im basically describing the lap as it was a few years ago when I raced in the British Championships there, I think the start finish line has moved now so your first corner is a 90 right then your headed down to the sharp hairpin right. Hance why I put "2nd corner??" cos that maybe the first corner now

Track 172cup
yeh your exactly right Jason, the start/finish line is now right at the top of the track, perfect sum up of the track aswell, if you drive it like whats written you wont do too badly

MY10 R35 GTR
yeh your exactly right Jason, the start/finish line is now right at the top of the track, perfect sum up of the track aswell, if you drive it like whats written you wont do too badly

hahah was a few years ago I did the british theres, but hopefull finishing 7ish and 3rd in the british champs (03,05) at least means I have an idea what IM on about hahaha

Track 172cup
hahah was a few years ago I did the british theres, but hopefull finishing 7ish and 3rd in the british champs (03,05) at least means I have an idea what IM on about hahaha

as opposed to me obviously not having a clue exactly ?

Yozza'd BG
You'l have a great time if you enjoy the Clydebank Scotkart circuit...it isn't a patch on Raceland Outdoor.

A tip i would give would be to avoid putting the power down too early on the second last corner otherwise you can quite easily find yourself in the run-off area!

Its among the best in the region id say. Careful, the curbs were pretty high at some bits i remember hitting one pretty badly. Enjoy it, should be a fun day.

I've been a couple of times, awesome track, you'll love it.

16 nutters in karts piling into that right hand hairpin after the straight (which is now the 2nd corner btw) means utter destruction.

The marshalls there are pretty laid back so you can get away with quite a lot of shoving and nudging. I was piled through a tyre wall on one corner in plain view of a marshall and no one batted an eyelid LOL

MY10 R35 GTR
as opposed to me obviously not having a clue exactly ?

sorry bud wasnt meant to sound like that, when you said "if you drive it like whats written you wont do too badly" I took that the wrong way My apologies.

IIRC on the hire karts a sub 61s lap was good?? Again that was probably on the older hire karts nowhere near as heavy as all the new ones going about

Track 172cup
no probs bud lol, i was sitting scratching ma head as to where i had offended you :S

can see how it could have been taken the wrong way now but was meaning that he obviously isn't going to master it to the standards of competing (like you did) but should do fairly well by following what you had written

anyway lol, as said it's a great wee track with aq decent mix of corners so you'll have a quality time mate, let us know your lap times cause i've got a couple of dates booked to go later in the year so will see how i manage

Will do mate.

I am getting 36s-37s laps on the scotkart clydebank track. Lap record is still 35s something but 1 second away is not bad in my book.

Really looking forward to raceland now, will let you all know how I get on

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Very interesting, the one in spain I raced at was lovely!

7446935a11577459202l.jpg

7446935a11577459268l.jpg

7446935a11577459595l.jpg

7446935a11577459627l.jpg

I was 1 to 1 1/2 seconds off the lap record pace. A couple of the guys who ran the place came out with me a few times.

The missus was not impressed! Think they were 200cc honda engines iirc.

Would be good for a CS meet if everyone stumped up the cash. £45pp for the Super Grand Prix mode but we are getting it for £35pp since I'm going with all the Scotkart lot

According to the Raceland website, they at 270cc Sodi karts, capable of 70mph :D

Last edited:

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Very nice, karts are something I have a passion/natural talent I think for it.

Shame my mates aren't into it and trying to organise a cs meet is like pulling teeth from a t-rex.

MY10 R35 GTR
Makes it all the more interesting :D

yep, trick is when your on slicks is not to use the "dry line" when its wet the rubber on the track becomes slippy. So what you'll find the best to do is turn in a kart length or 2 later than you would in the dry. Sorted.

I miss racing loads, just dont have time now because of work :(

Attachments

• _R0V4675.jpg
    _R0V4675.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 65
  378bhp Leon Cupra R
Very nice, karts are something I have a passion/natural talent I think for it.

Shame my mates aren't into it and trying to organise a cs meet is like pulling teeth from a t-rex.

Thats because ur built like the side of a fiver.....:rasp:

I wouldn't mind having a go.....do the karts have boost though.....:eek:

Looks like I'm out of this now :( Car decided to dump all its coolant along the M8 today :) Not getting it back until next week. Bastardddd

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Raceland is awesome, been 3 or 4 times thinking of going this weekend.

Great fun.

Let me know if you beat my fastest lap of 1.02.28!

There's a challenge for ya!;)

We did 3 heats and a final, Grand Prix layout. Total of 12 karts

Heat 1 - Finished 9th - F/L - 1:03.307
Heat 2 - Finished 10th - F/L - 1:02.945
Heat 3 - Finished 9th - F/L - 1:03.007

Grand Final - Finished 5th - F/L - 1:01.900

Well chuffed :D

Was an amazing day out, really enjoyed it.
Much better than indoor karting as the power is instant, unlike Scotkart in clydebank where you just feel restricted all the time.

All in all, pleased with myself

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Those other dudes must have been good mate if you finished 5th.

Those other dudes must have been good mate if you finished 5th.

The other guys were the race marshalls from Scotkart in Clydebank, so obv they know alot more than me.

Alot of them were doing consistent 1:01 laptimes and the guy who won was breaking the minute barrier.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Ah cool thought it was mates, so the offical Karters were taking part?

It was a works day out for them, but they were short on numbers so because we go all the time to the indoor one at Clydebank they asked us to fill gaps.

Think we are planning the bigger one in Newcastle? think thats where they said it was

Yozza'd BG
We did 3 heats and a final, Grand Prix layout. Total of 12 karts

Heat 1 - Finished 9th - F/L - 1:03.307
Heat 2 - Finished 10th - F/L - 1:02.945
Heat 3 - Finished 9th - F/L - 1:03.007

Grand Final - Finished 5th - F/L - 1:01.900

Well chuffed :D

Was an amazing day out, really enjoyed it.
Much better than indoor karting as the power is instant, unlike Scotkart in clydebank where you just feel restricted all the time.

All in all, pleased with myself

Good crack! I need to get myself into the 1:01s at some point...we def need to get a CS karting sesh there at some point in the summer!

I was in the race when the lap record there was set...think it was 59.9 seconds but the guy was the scottish champion at the age of 16 so there's no chance i'll get close to that!

Good crack! I need to get myself into the 1:01s at some point...we def need to get a CS karting sesh there at some point in the summer!

I was in the race when the lap record there was set...think it was 59.9 seconds but the guy was the scottish champion at the age of 16 so there's no chance i'll get close to that!

Was the guys name Scott Smith?
Thats the guy that won my race and he said the last time he was there he ran a 59.9s

Yozza'd BG
Was the guys name Scott Smith?
Thats the guy that won my race and he said the last time he was there he ran a 59.9s

His name is Ian Munro. Not sure what the number after the .9 was though.

He's now the XR2 champion and has moved into opened wheeled racing this year.