ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Race Battery

I have been looking at the Odyssey PC680 which seems to be a popular battery but also seen the own branded Powervamp PVR22 Clubsport battery which is similar size but half the price. Does anyone have any experience with either of these batteries in a clio?

Planning on putting the battery behind the passenger seat as I still want to be able to put a pax seat in for track days. I will use a connector block in the engine bay and take the battery feed through the car and bulk head. I will need to work this in with the battery cut off but that will depend on what kit I go for.

Track 172 Cup
I'm also wanting to relocate the battery but was going to try and get a 3 series (BMW) cable but looking at the price of the bits in the link above probably wont be any cheaper sourcing 2nd hand bits, plus don't we get some discount (http://www.cliosport.net/pages/discounts/) at demon tweeks it says variable but 'ewt is better than newt'. I have found a power cable already run in my engine bay (assuming old sub cable) so I can link the battery one to that and use it to pull a decent cable through hopefully. Got loads I wanna do before my track day on the 27th Jan and no garage and crap weather = no progress lol.

Christ this thread is ideal. Searched on here for Odyssey PC680 to ask exact the same question - what's the difference between the 2 to double the price?

PC680 from Powervamp = £99 delivered with free bracket on ebay.

The Clubsport from the same company = £49 delivered with a free bracket.

Comparing the two actually shows that the Clubsport battery may have slightly higher specs.

I have managed to negotiate a discount from Powervamp to collect direct as they are only 30 mins away. I shall ask about the Clubsport battery and see if they can do anything on the price for that one also.

Odyssey PC680:
18Ah
Dimensions 185 x 79 x 170mm
CCA 265A
Peak 680A
Weight 7.0kg

PVR (PowerVamp Racing) 22 Clubsport:
20Ah
181 x 76 x 166mm
CCA 300A
Peak 700A
Weight 6.5kg

That looks like the PVR option is hand down winner but there may be more to it than that depending on the quality of the battery. Paying for the Brand with Odyssey or better material? Have PVR had these made up in the far east by a similar manufacturer and branded them as their own? Might be worth a punt for the price.
Anyone willing to test both back to back? I will buy the PRV after testing.

That looks like the PVR option is hand down winner but there may be more to it than that depending on the quality of the battery. Paying for the Brand with Odyssey or better material? Have PVR had these made up in the far east by a similar manufacturer and branded them as their own? Might be worth a punt for the price.
Anyone willing to test both back to back? I will buy the PRV after testing.

When Powervamp get back to me I will update this thread. I imagine they have kept costs down by having batteries rebranded for themselves. The quality may differ greatly/slightly or not at all. I've asked for information on the differences.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Actually, If your after a cheap lightish battery

Look at Lucas LSL C22-12 Golf cart battery, £30 quid and 6kgs IIRC. Again i know several people running them

Have a look at Braille battery as well, Well recommended by a lot of my friends that use them in track and race cars

Like this:

http://www.braillebattery.co.uk/index.php/braille/product_batteries/b2015
  • Weight
    15lbs / 6.8kg
  • Length
    6.8" / 173mm
  • Width
    3.4" / 86mm
  • Height
    6.1" / 155mm
  • Polarity
    Right Side Positive
  • Performance
  • Voltage
  • Full Charge Voltage
  • Short Circuit Current
    2500 est.
  • Pulse Cranking Amps (PCA)
  • Amp Hour (AH)
  • Reserve Capacity (RC)
    35 mins.
  • Life Cycle @ 100% DOD
    3100 cycles
Almost £180 though!

All Powervamp can tell me is the PVR22 is chinese made and the Odyssey PC680 is US made and apparently holds a better charge.

They will do the PVR22 battery alone for £39.99 if you can make a bracket yourself.

Buy cheap buy twice always bites me in the ass so I will spend the extra £30 and get the PC680

172 RaceCar, VW-T5
I run that powervamp battery in the race car (admittedly its not left connected between trackdays etc) and its fine, it starts the car with no hassle and hasn't gone flat on me yet.

For the money, I cant fault it really.

-Alex

I have just had a thought about battery cable.
I have been looking for suitable battery cable and have noticed how expensive it is for a couple of meters of big flex cable that would be suitable. Then I thought that my big set of jump leads would be ideal for this and seem to recall them not being that expensive.
I have just had a look on eBay and you can get a set of 3.6 meter 600 Amp flexible jump leads for £6.99 including postage. I could just chop the clips off the end and use the cable.
Anyone else done this before or can think of a reason why its not a good idea? These jump leads would be suitable for starting large diesel engines and wouldn't be suitable for taking 600 amps for long periods but would surely be ok for the 200 amps or so momentarily to start the clio and then be more than enough to handle the normal running current.
My only concern is they could just be lying and when they arrive they are only 8mm thick or something. My current jump leads are 25mm cable but think they cost about £25 from Halfords when I needed them there and then.

Just ignore my last comment. Its not worth saving £10 or so and having inferior cable that's too small and end up with a car that doesn't start! lol. I will just stop being so tight and buy the proper cable.

For reference - 135A cable is 20mm2 (~4AWG) and is approx 9.5mm thick overall with insulation. Some get confused with the thickness of cable and don't realise it's sold as mm2.