ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Quick Question

When in 1st gear and I accelerate, foot down and it hit 6000revs it stops dead and loses all power. (The car doesn't stop just the power) I realise I don't want to go above this.

Is this a safety feature?
Should it do this?

Thanks

T

thecremeegg

Lol its called the rev limiter and yes its a "safety feature" as it stops the engine revving too high. Its generally a good idea to change gear before this point as you lose power like you said

Golf GT & A4 Avant
It sounds like you're hitting the rev limiter.

It's there to stop you over revving your enjoy and damaging the internals etc. In theory it won't do any harm hitting the limiter, but also it won't do it any good.
When accelerating hard hitting the limiter will actual slow you down, best to change gear before you hit it.

Beating too it!

Williams 1
who the f*** give you your license?

Find it in the bottom of some coco pops did you?

Calm down sunshine; not everyone knows the ins and outs of engines.

Not all cars have limiters for a start.

If you didnt know how to use a chainsaw i wouldnt expect you to go out and start chopping down trees, i know thats not the best example but surely your expected to know some information before you learn the practical side of driving, it makes me laugh how there is so many shite drivers on the road who dont have a clue and Me (a safe driver) who takes care with everything i do, got my Williams smashed into and dragged down the road a week ago while it was parked up outside work.

It just gets me mad because i had a decent looking williams and now when it comes back from the bodyshop its going to look odd as they wont do a full respray, so im not only without a car but when i get it back im going to be out of pocket trying to get it back to the standard it was.

By hitting the limiter, makes me a sh!t driver, so that must mean no1 else has hit theres? I was just checking that it was normal. I haven't read the handbook like the rest of you.

Not sure why that makes me a sh!t driver, guess sum of you have issues! :rasp:

'51, 172
i too have similar problems, when i accelerate the car goes forwards and when i push the brake it stops, i cant work out why this is happening, is this normal for the clios?

thanks

MCS R56
Calm down sunshine; not everyone knows the ins and outs of engines.

Not all cars have limiters for a start.

If you didnt know how to use a chainsaw i wouldnt expect you to go out and start chopping down trees, i know thats not the best example but surely your expected to know some information before you learn the practical side of driving, it makes me laugh how there is so many s**te drivers on the road who dont have a clue and Me (a safe driver) who takes care with everything i do, got my Williams smashed into and dragged down the road a week ago while it was parked up outside work.

It just gets me mad because i had a decent looking williams and now when it comes back from the bodyshop its going to look odd as they wont do a full respray, so im not only without a car but when i get it back im going to be out of pocket trying to get it back to the standard it was.

Yeah, the Highway Code's first rule is "Your car might have a limiter, try not to hit it!"...give the lad a break! It doesn't make you bad driver and I don't remember my instructor ever asking me to rev the car so that the limiter kicks in.

Black-Clio-1.4 is probably a better driver than you, he just doesn't take cars quite as seriously as you do. Leave your car at home if you don't want it smashed. And step out your bubble of bullsh1t!

'02 172 Cup
yeah man, the first time you hit the limiter its an odd sensation the way you actually slow down. cliowilliams i think you should go and take ur anger out on your boyfriend. show him your pimp hand (thanks to gray for that one)

Alfa GT
The limiter is in the exhaust. When i had my 1.4 I changed the exhaust and i could rev it till my heart was content :)

clio 1.2 16v
By hitting the limiter, makes me a sh!t driver, so that must mean no1 else has hit theres? I was just checking that it was normal. I haven't read the handbook like the rest of you.

eveyrone hits it once or twice but blooodi hell he was only askin a question chill out peeeps.. :eek:

I

invisible man

hit mine 2-3 times a week, usually 2nd to 3rd as it still catches me out when I am going from a slip road straight to the outside lane of the m1 in traffic :evil: , doesn't make me a s**t driver (been driving 17 years) just means I am concentrating on not having an accident.

hit mine 2-3 times a week, usually 2nd to 3rd as it still catches me out when I am going from a slip road straight to the outside lane of the m1 in traffic :evil: , doesn't make me a s**t driver (been driving 17 years) just means I am concentrating on not having an accident.

Hitting the limiter could cause an accident

Doesnt matter how long you have been driving you could still be a shite driver

RS 172

Your not a s**t driver, hes just bitter about his Willy getting hit. Horrible thing to happen but he can say people who hit the limiter are s**t.

I've seen cars on here hit the limiter in 1st by mistake at meets.

Nawt!!!Off road Quad!
i have just read this from top to bottom and i actually nearlly pi**ed myself laughin! my girlfriend knows what a limmiter is and she cant even drive!!
And morrison i really hope your jokin!
BRUCEY
i too have similar problems, when i accelerate the car goes forwards and when i push the brake it stops, i cant work out why this is happening, is this normal for the clios?

LMAO

Mk1 Eunos Roadster
Effin hell. I can't believe how worked up people are getting. If the guy hits his limiter and doesn't know what it is, so what?? That's what the more experienced people on here should be here for - not to take the p!ss but to explain and spread the knowledge. Instead of making a judgement that he's a crap driver, and who knows whether he is or isn't, why not advise him not to hit the limiter too often cos it's not good for the engine? Simple question, simple answer.

RS 172
Everyone has to learn somewhere. It gets my p*ss boiling when I go on a site asking for help and get sh*t for it. I bet some of you know-it-all engine bods are sh*t shags.
Cliosport is for pooling information and resources no?

i have just read this from top to bottom and i actually nearlly pi**ed myself laughin! my girlfriend knows what a limmiter is and she cant even drive!!
BRUCEY

LMAO

Look m8, how do you think your girl friend found out what it was? She hit it then asked somone. How does anyone find anything out? They ask or read up on it!

Williams 1
BRUCEY

LMAO

Look m8, how do you think your girl friend found out what it was? She hit it then asked somone. How does anyone find anything out? They ask or read up on it!

my little sister doesnt even hit the limiter in her cosy coupe

(1 off these babdboys)
cosy_coupe.jpg