ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Quick question about the fitting of short shifter link

02 Clio 172
Hi all

Bought a shorter link for my 172 that fits onto the end of the gear selector rod thingy under the car and into the ball joint with the b!tch of a circlip.

Now, when fitted there is play between the end of the gear rod and where it bolts onto the linkage as the linkage is slightly thinner then the standard part. The standard part has some really tight rubber surround that would eliminate the play but its bonded on by the looks of it - is the idea to remove (it will tear?) this surround and put it onto the new linkage?

Im considering getting some washers and using them to eliminate the play. I cant select 1st or 2nd without pulling up reverse handle, and i cant select reverse period except on the box itself. There is not enough horizontal movement to raise the selector on the gearbox high enough.

If youve been near this bit of the car you will know what im talking about, can anyone offer some insight?

172 cup
Not sure if it'll help, but I cut the surround off the original (cut around the 'bar' section & then 2 cuts up to the hole, so it springs closed) and then slipped it over the new linkage... there was still a little play though.

I also had to adjust the linkage after (similar available gears for me, no reverse etc)... it took a bit of fiddling, but got there in the end. I think I had to bend the heat shield out the way slightly to get enough clearance.

Hope that's of some use to you fella

02 Clio 172
Il try that, thanks. If I have no luck il get some washers to pack it out.
What a stupid design though!!

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
Although it's not my quickshift but I guess it's similar to my Quickshift 15% (which uses a metal bush to eliminate this issue).

What can you do?
1, Try to use a washer (d 12) or
2, If the bore of this short shift link equals with the OEM link and the height of the bore is less than 11 mm, I could send you a metal bush which will fit perfectly and stop the play.

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
It's Ł9 (including postage... shame but the postage is Ł5 :()

This is what I'm talking about:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Please measure the diameter and the height of the short shift link bore. This bush will fit if the diameter is no less than 11.98 mm and the height is no more than 11.00 mm.

It should work like in this vid:

Last edited by a moderator:

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
Sorry, I mean GBP (I could not find the GBP sign on my keyboard and was too lasy to copy it from winword LOL).

Clio 172
I'm assuming you have the Engine Dynamics short shifter? I always wondered about that gap too.

Yanoo - what if you've got the other type of shift rod though?

FULL FAT 182
I had the same problem with mine, so visited engine dynamics to rectify the problem. Due to the slight play in the shift pin ment once in gear the gear stick was able to move around an inch either way and it didn't feel right.

172 Ph1
When I ftted mine I changed the metal bush for a new one and the White half moon ball type bush , circlip was a tad of a sod to fit , but be honest I haven't had to cut anything and the lever feels not sloppy at-all.

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
I'm assuming you have the Engine Dynamics short shifter? I always wondered about that gap too.

Yanoo - what if you've got the other type of shift rod though?

dr16 would notice that when he is checking the short shift link. But if he had the other type gear linkage, he should use a washer.

clio 172 cup
Hi guys, I have one of these and haven't got a clue where abouts it goes? Does it go inside the car underneath the gear stick? I haven't got any instructions so just a heads up as to where it goes would be brilliant! Thanks in advance :)