ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Quaife LSD finaly fitted

clio 172 cup
ok this arrived at my door on monday last week , i had today off work and got stuck right in. many grazed knuckles later its in and i must say possibly the best modification iv ever fitted to a car did not expect such a big difference especialy when enthusiasticly exiting a corner note the roads are wet right now, cant wait to have a play at knockhill in a couple of weeks.

Any one else have one fitted? results as good or is this all in my head.?

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Albeit different car, but on my Integra it is amazing!
Just pulls you into the corner faster than you think, and wants you to accelerate through it!

Awesome feeling coming off a roundabout in the wet on the power and having no inside wheelspin!!

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
Any pics of the diff before fitting matey? Btw rebuilding the box would just be ny personal preference as it was out anyway!

clio 172 cup
diff cost me £985 big ones , its a clio 172 cup , the box has been sitting in my garage for a while as i wanted to fit dog gears turns out it was a pain in the ass so the box was recond when the diff was ordered. as the car is near standard at the moment i have some major plans after iv been and gone to the rignext couple of months id say.

flywheel has been lightened and balenced new clutch fitted while i was at it. i will start a build on the forum to keep you updated.

sounds like its gunna be a good project thread, duno when they need new shims, but yh they will wear down yes at some stage

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
We run one on our PH1 track car, best mod we have done by far completly changes the way you can drive on track.

The do make some funny noises though:D

Track 172cup
sounds good mate, would be interesting to see how much this improves it

where about you from ? just noticed you mentioning knockhill so you cant be too far away

clio 172 cup
im in the stirling area mate. quaife say it shouldnt need servicing for a good while. the noise that comes from it sounds funky though something was broke .lol

still wet outside :(

Tav

Clio 197
How often to the quaife units need stripping & rebuilding?

Never really. It's a torsen/gear based diff. No clutches or plates to wear out. Only choice for a FWD road car as far as I am concerned, plate diffs have too many disadvantages day-to-day. It's the reason Ford use them on the Focus RS'. Suppose if you use the car hard you'd need to keep an eye on it but they come with a limited lifetime warranty.

There must be a reason the Clio differential costs almost double that of some other FWD cars?

RS RIP
Never really. It's a torsen/gear based diff. No clutches or plates to wear out. Only choice for a FWD road car as far as I am concerned, plate diffs have too many disadvantages day-to-day. It's the reason Ford use them on the Focus RS'. Suppose if you use the car hard you'd need to keep an eye on it but they come with a limited lifetime warranty.

There must be a reason the Clio differential costs almost double that of some other FWD cars?

Cost almost double as much as the one for a Porsche too:S

Tav

Clio 197
The gubbings inside the differentials are all similar, so must be something up with the casing? Looks like quite a big unit?

I bought 10 ATB diffs from Quaife for Polo G40's and I was somewhere around £480 + VAT for each unit. Significant difference in price.

Anyone else making gear diffs for the Clio..Sadev/Kaaz/Peloquin?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
im from stirling too mate and id be VERY interested in meeting up to check it out mate ive been wanting one for a while now just never had the balls to spend the money on one as now im running 190bhp and 160lb/ft hard acceleration out tight bends is causing me to light up the inside wheel!

Clio 172 Cup , 200SX S13
I've always thought the clio could do with a diff fitted , sounds like a very wise way to spend your money there. Although they are bloody pricey!

Should have been a factory fit/option IMO.

MCG

Vauxhall Astra VXR
why would you put an LSD on a clio, they barely wheelspin and the chassis can easily cope with the power as it is?

Clio 172 Cup , 200SX S13
why would you put an LSD on a clio, they barely wheelspin and the chassis can easily cope with the power as it is

Mine will spin up an inside wheel on exit of a corner when going for it , in the dry.

If it had a diff , this wouldn't happen and you could go faster.

My trusty lil 182 :)
why would you put an LSD on a clio, they barely wheelspin and the chassis can easily cope with the power as it is?

lol, you're not trying hard enough! Mine will light up the front out of second gear corners on track, and spins an inside wheel all the time once unweighted. Will be looking into a quaife diff IDC.

Be interested to here reports of how the OP gets on.

Evo 8 MR
Would love to get one of these but they cost a bomb, kudos for getting one op!

In theory this would reduce understeer too no?

172 cup & 182
I fitted mine 6 months ago now, best mod I have done to the car.
Big advantage at trackday's.
Cost me £977.79 direct from Quaife and included removing + fitting the drive gear from the old diff. Quaife Manichean two key-ways in to the drive gear that lines up with the diff to prevent any slipping.
Life time guarantee fit and forget.
The Quaife unit is 4kg more than a standard diff.