ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PS4 + VR + racing games =?

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
Doing the third bedroom to a spare/ games room.
What should I be looking at?
Do all VR headsets work with PS?
What games? See F1 isn’t supported yet but Assetto Corsa looks good and seen comments on here.

Only got PS3 and G27 and racing seat setup but not been used for over 3 years with addition of my daughter but would like to get going again.

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
Can only use a PSVR on PS4.

You'll probably need a Drivehub to get the G27 working on a PS4.

I've only really played GT-Sport with the PSVR + the above (except a Fanatec wheel). It's good but the VR mode is currently limited to 1vs1 with AI (far too easy) and time trial mode.

You can also play Dirt Rally fully in VR, I've tried it with the headset but didn't manage to get the wheel working on it (only had a very quick look so I'm sure it's possible).

You apparently get better visuals in VR with a PS4 Pro.

I'd just aim to set it up to play racing games normally and think of VR as a bonus.

Probably best with a PC if you want more VR racing options.

Edit: as far as I know Assetto Corsa on PS4 doesn't support VR.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
PlayStation, in it's current form, doesn't really have the horsepower to form the basis of a VR racing rig. As Jonnio says, PC is the way to go if you're 'serious' but with it comes a rather hefty cost.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Yep - as above, PC is really the proper way to go for 'realistic' VR in racing games. But you'll pay handsomely for that privilege.

The graphical grunt that you have to have to support smooth, detailed motion whilst also rendering multiple cars and panning your head from side to side, is very significant. I tried Project Cars on a VR-enabled PC running a GTX1080 - which even today is still a circa £500+ graphics card. The interior view of the car that I was 'sat in' was very impressive - but the motion once racing left a lot to be desired. The level of graphical detail had to be turned down a lot in order to promote smoothness, to such an extent that I found it too blocky.

VR is definitely here to stay - I think they've now reached that approachable level of both cost and equipment functionality. But its still in its infancy and myself personally, would only buy VR for my own PC if I got wind of a true bargain.