ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Provisional Insurance help please

Got insurance with quinn direct to drive my car on provisional license

nearly had it for a year and wondering if ill still get 1years NCB even with only a provisional license?

anybody know?

Jap Box
Doubt it as its not really you driving on your own ever.

Also, are quinn still in liquidation? If so id look at moving!

Why have you had insurance for a year on provisional! Get the test out of the way :D

Thanks mate would be good if it did getting ridiculous expensive quotes

thanks happened 1st of july still not 100% but atleast i can drive again now

just found out on quinns website

Can I earn a No Claims Bonus as a Provisional Licence holder?
Yes. As long as the policy is in your own name, you will start to earn a No Claims Bonus straight away, regardless of which licence type you hold. You can also earn a named driver discount if you have been a named driver on somebody else’s policy, regardless of your licence type.

Passed my test on tuesday with 1 minor insurance has now gone up by 600 odd

this happened to me but it only went up by 100 quid, this was back about 5 years ago now, reason for it going up is you can drive by yourself instead of under someone "responsibles" supervision!

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
Just going to revive this thread.

We have got my son a car to learn in, his insurance while on a provisional is £800 then when he passes it goes up to £2.5k. Does anyone actually know 100% that you can earn NCB while on your provisional.

I've search online but just thought I'd ask the younger audience on here.

Clio 172 Flamer
Hi mate,

I'm no expert with the privisional and younger driver insurance but I would assume that insurance companies would not see the provisional driving as actual driving experience and that would lead me to think that your son would not gain no claims bonus. He is being 100% assisted in driving when on a provisional, the rise in premium is because of that, it is a lot at first but it drops dramatically after the first few years... I had a car worth £300 when I passed 5-6 years ago and was paying 350 a month for insurance, go figure... haha

What car is he driving? I know that some insurance companies bring the premium down if he is willing to put a 'black box' in the car, if he drives the vehicle to their standard after a certain period of time then he may come across a reduction in premium also. The threat of that of course, being new to driving and having that freedom, he may not drive exactly how he learnt to drive...

Hope you get it sorted either way but I can only imagine it is a case of 'biting the bullet'

TK

Just going to revive this thread.

We have got my son a car to learn in, his insurance while on a provisional is £800 then when he passes it goes up to £2.5k. Does anyone actually know 100% that you can earn NCB while on your provisional.

I've search online but just thought I'd ask the younger audience on here.

With quinn i got a full years no claims after half a year as provisional then upgrading to full licence for the rest of the year.

Don't know if all insures would do it though.

3 Series touring
I currently have 5 years no claims, including the time I spent on provisional. I've switched insurers a few times and have never had a problem with getting the letter of NCB confirmation from any of them.

I remember when I looked quinn did a similar thing with my quote (had a right laugh thinking I could get myself a 1.6 litre car with these amazing cheap quinn quotes.... Then eventually looked at what happens when you pass!) the better known companies all seem to just stick to one rate, more pricey in the beginning but won't change.

My younger brother started driving 2 years back and paid a disgusting £3.5k on first insurance.