ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project: Titan - Ph1 172 - 428's, ITB's, 216.7 BHP

Ph1 ITB'd 172
I recently decided to sell my Audi S3 – It was a great a car never let me down, really nice to drive but it didn’t excite me enough, and I wanted to do a couple of track days but didn’t feel that the Audi was a suitable car.

When the Audi went I bought a shed of a 1.2 Clio that's now my daily, and I decided I wanted a second car to put in the garage at the flat and use at weekends and on track. I started looking at numerous cars; those that know me will know how often I change my mind. I thought about everything from TVR’s, to 911’s but decided that I didn’t want to spend that much at the moment. I pretty much decided I wanted a cheap 172 to strip out, and make a cheap track car out of it.

I went to look at a couple of 172’s, a Ph1 and a Ph2, the Ph1 was only £800 but it was a complete dog so I ran away from that one, the Ph2 was £1500, needed the cambelt doing, all the dash lights came on about 20 seconds after I pulled off – so again it was a dog.

Whilst I was looking at these I had seen an ITB’d Ph1 172 for sale, it was more than I wanted to pay really, but given how bad the two I had already looked at were. I thought if it’s as good as the advert says it’s a bargain so I rang Greenlight and got a great quote. Last Saturday I went and picked up the car from Correy at TDF where it was having a check over.

Here’s the old project thread - http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showt...io-172-Phase-1

Anyway, enough rambling for now, here is the spec list from the for sale advert:

Exterior Styling
Aluminium bonnet with pins
HIDS 6000K and matching LED sidelights
Silver indicator lamps
182 Clear side repeaters and silver lamps
Blank standard fancy plates front and rear
182 titanium silver door handles
182 titanium silver door mouldings and bullets
182 titanium silver cup spoiler
20mm hub centric H&R front wheel spacers
Shorter style aerial

Engine
Red 8.5mm Magnecor ignition leads and relocated coil pack mount
Cup A/C delete kit
ITG sausage filter and backing plate
AT power extended throttle bodies and loom
428 Cat camshafts and new timing belt TDF
TDF EC1 and map
Slim line radiator and fabricated brackets
Slim line fan
K-Tec upper engine mount
K-Tec lower gear box mount
Powerflex dog bone mount

Suspension
V-Maxx adjustable coilovers and full geometry

Exhaust
Prima Racing rear exhaust mount
K-Tec stainless steel 2.5” stealth cat back exhaust system
K-Tec stainless steel 2.5” silenced de cat and gaskets

Brakes
Front and rear callipers professionally refurbished
Motul RBF660 racing brake fluid
Goodridge front and rear brake lines
Brembo max grooved front discs
Ferodo DS2500 front brake pads
Genuine rear discs
Ferodo DS2500 rear brake pads

Tyres
4 x Professionally powder coated 15" O.Z F1
4 x Toyo T1R 195/45/15

Dyno Results
216.7Bhp and 169 FLYtrq

A few pictures - sorry for the poor quality, I haven’t had the car out much yet so haven’t had chance for any better ones – If we get a break in the rain this weekend I will get some better photos.

8723302439_6c617b94e8.png

ITB'd 172 0001 by Pete-M, on Flickr

8723301493_62c36aafa6.png

ITB'd 172 0002 by Pete-M, on Flickr

8723302863_048d9d043b.png

ITB'd 172 0004 by Pete-M, on Flickr

8724420794_bee9464cea.png

ITB'd 172 TDF Dyno by Pete-M, on Flickr

Ph1 ITB'd 172
Let's not turn this into a TDF bashing thread, I'm happy with it, I spoke to Matt at length about the car he was more than accommodating with me viewing it at his place. I have no issues with TDF.

The car feels great, Correy spent a small fortune on it since he bought it standard a couple of years ago. I will be getting it rolling roaded elsewhere purely because I want to see what it makes on different rollers.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
not much more u can do with this though surely? the project work has all been done, whats your plans for it now? the spec is pretty awesome, apart from the coilovers perhaps. maybe better seats, cage? thats if your planning on tracking it.

Ph1 ITB'd 172
not much more u can do with this though surely? the project work has all been done, whats your plans for it now? the spec is pretty awesome, apart from the coilovers perhaps. maybe better seats, cage? thats if your planning on tracking it.

Oh and I forgot to add it's only on a touch over 47,000 miles!

Yeah, it's pretty well sorted at the moment, it's a little too low I think so I will raise it up.
Going forward in the long term I am looking to do the following:

Upgrade coilovers - Top mounts as well
Potentially strip interior add a cage and some buckets - (going to do a couple of track days first and see how I go)
The exhaust is very boomy so I am going to look into changing/tweaking what's on it at the moment
After market steering wheel
Ph2 rear bumper and lights - I know some people will hate me but it's 100% better.
Second set of Oz F1's (I already have 2 I just need to pick up another couple) - Fit them with R888's
Polybush everything
New areo catches for the bonnet