ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Problems getting 172 Cup through MOT

172 Cup
Having the problem that I believe many on here have had with my 172 Cup failing on low rear brake performance. I have taken them the VOSA note to them but still they aren't passing it. Anyone have any contact(s) at VOSA that I'd be best speaking to regarding thi sissue.

Cheers,

Will

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Check your rear discs/pads are decent. If the performance is poor, it could be for that reason!

RS CLIO 197
if there is a vosa bulletin over this issue and i think there is then the testing station should take note and pass the car - if its the only thing they have failed it on - appeal the test this is on the paperwork of how to do it :D

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Stupid ****s really.

The article clearly says that they should only be failed if the brakes are not working, and that low braking effort alone is not reason for failure.

I'm so glad I have Rentech nearby for all this shizzle.

www.renparts.co.uk
Should it not be on the notes of the test sheet? annoying as i get loads of people ringing it up brake compensators for 172 cups then i have to explain.

Banana
Any tester worth his salt could've sat down with a calculator and worked out TOTAL overall braking performance in relation to kerb weight. Cups score about 65% which is a pass anyhoo. Plonkers.

CB600FS
Any tester worth his salt could've sat down with a calculator and worked out TOTAL overall braking performance in relation to kerb weight. Cups score about 65% which is a pass anyhoo. Plonkers.

When you put in all the readings it totals it up for you anyway.

Its printed on the VSI part of the checklist aswell.

172 Cup
Yeah they did mention all the things that came up on their computer like bonnet catch etc but no note on brakes!

Clio Cup/GSXR 600
Mines failed for the first time ever today on the rear brakes. Used same garage as past x amount of years etc. The tester said there were not working at all not just poor efficiency. Argued the toss told him about the compensator are disconected blah blah blah, still failed it and said the compensator valve is seized and even tho its disconected could still be the poblem? Your thoughts

Clio Cup/GSXR 600
Yeah shown them this but they said the back brakes arn't reading anything not just 'too low'

It passed last year after new pads/discs braided lines and fluid nothing changed since then

LY 200
Yeah shown them this but they said the back brakes arn't reading anything not just 'too low'

It passed last year after new pads/discs braided lines and fluid nothing changed since then

mine dont read anything either, well very very slightly

Jack up the rears and see if you can turn them by hand with an assistant pressing the brake pedal. Hand brake off obviously. Should tell you if they work at all. You can typically just turn mine with the pedal hard down.

I normally cable tie the compensator to maximum for the MOT. This at least shows they are working. From the way the compensator works I'd say if it seized it'd seize on max effort not no effort. You can feel the compensator move if you get an assistant to press the pedal whilst you put your hand on the compensator lever.

Clio Cup/GSXR 600
Jack up the rears and see if you can turn them by hand with an assistant pressing the brake pedal. Hand brake off obviously. Should tell you if they work at all. You can typically just turn mine with the pedal hard down.

I normally cable tie the compensator to maximum for the MOT. This at least shows they are working. From the way the compensator works I'd say if it seized it'd seize on max effort not no effort. You can feel the compensator move if you get an assistant to press the pedal whilst you put your hand on the compensator lever.

Yeah you can just turn the wheels with pedal pressed hard, apparently not good enough, but good idea about the compensator.

Yeah you can just turn the wheels with pedal pressed hard, apparently not good enough, but good idea about the compensator.

Sounds like they're working to me. Did you watch them do the test, did you see if their brake meter (or what ever it is called) registered anything at all?

I'd get VOSA to call them, seems to have worked for others but if they say there is nothing at all at the rear that may keep VOSA happy with the fail. I'm guessing they're just saying there is nothing when really there is a little bit.

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
im a tester by trade even i didnt know about the cups running without the load valve connected untill reading the notice on here normaly vosa will do a special notice but they havent only a write up in a mag tha comes round every so often .
so if you didnt read the mag like me and meany others they wouldnt know about it.

i guess the cup is also lighter than the normal ones? as thres a set weight for all the 2.0ls that is printed on the vt40 that the tester should go by.

i test on a atl lane (1 man testeing) on the newist set up im lucky and my brake rollers weigh the car and work out the performance and bind for me so should work it out for me so they should pass on there but will pro fail on the vosa comp if i put the same figers in without changeing the weights.

dont moan at testers as they havent all been informed about the cup load valve like me if they fail the car on this get them to call there local office to check this out.

if anyones local to wiltshire can give you a discount on mots and wont have any problems passing your cup now lol.

rps13
im a tester by trade even i didnt know about the cups running without the load valve connected untill reading the notice on here normaly vosa will do a special notice but they havent only a write up in a mag tha comes round every so often .
so if you didnt read the mag like me and meany others they wouldnt know about it.

i guess the cup is also lighter than the normal ones? as thres a set weight for all the 2.0ls that is printed on the vt40 that the tester should go by.

i test on a atl lane (1 man testeing) on the newist set up im lucky and my brake rollers weigh the car and work out the performance and bind for me so should work it out for me so they should pass on there but will pro fail on the vosa comp if i put the same figers in without changeing the weights.

dont moan at testers as they havent all been informed about the cup load valve like me if they fail the car on this get them to call there local office to check this out.

if anyones local to wiltshire can give you a discount on mots and wont have any problems passing your cup now lol.

so the car has to weighed????

how does this work, as i've lost a considerable amount of weight, rear seatbelts etc.

am i gonna have problems?

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
so the car has to weighed????

how does this work, as i've lost a considerable amount of weight, rear seatbelts etc.

am i gonna have problems?

if they go by vosas weight u may struggle a little or come close on rear perfoformance wack a bag of sand in the boot will make the brakes work better.
if the testers useing the new style brake roller setup it works out the correct weight and persentaage of brakeing force.

Clio Cup/GSXR 600

Shouting works, although i watched it on the rollers and they really are showing nothing, even i think somethings wrong, got the years ticket anyway so at least i can investigate at my leisure. Think a caliper strip down clean and grease is for starters

Last edited:
  Clio 172 Cup
I have same issue every god damn year with mine,i got in touch with VOSA last year they confirmed that this is how the car is made,the garage then rung them 2 confirm it which they did but i`m in the same fuckin situation again grrrr.
Renault want blowing up tossers they will not give any info out on these cars but they`re quite happy for u to take it in 2 them n charge u thro the roof wen they know wat the prob is.
Alls i can say is get VOSA`s number n keep it for your yrly MOT:mad:

///M135i
mymate just had a t**t of a time with his cup failed on no effort rear brakes didnt believe him when he took the vosa copy down!

2 new calipers and £200 later still aint fixed. they managed to snap the handbrake cable haha

Just had this today

Failed my 172 cup on rear bias valve disconnected and rear brake effort very low

Took him the print out - "well im not happy to pass it mate - it's doing virtually no braking on the rear - shouldn't let you drive it really as its dangerous"

f**k OFF - it stops on a dot you t**t

What do I do now?? Ring vosa and complain about the MOT station?
MOT runs out next week and it's my only way to get to work and back :(

PH1 172 Sport
Yeah give VOSA a call and get them to phone the test station. Failing that take it somewhere else and providing it passes you can get your money back off the other garage.

clio 1.8 16v
have you tryed to pump the brakes and pull the handbrake i had to do it ro my clio for its mot because i got told the backs on mine you had to do it atleast 100 times and mine passed fine