ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Problem Found! Aux Belt Sort Of Gone Help?

PH2 RS 172 Forsale
Right basically looking to see if this has happened to anyone and ask for some advise!

The Aux belt has frayed and a strand off the belt has come away, now at the time the car cut out straight away and the STOP light came on, NO engine warning light atall, since then it will not start theirs spark from all 4 cylinders and fuel getting throught. Ive been told that it has probley wrapped itself around the crankshaft and knocked the timming of the engine out.

The cambelt itself is still intact and has not snapped, it was only changed 20k ago but no sign of the aux belt being done at the same time. Also when you try to start the car the cams still move so thats a good sign right??

Now the car is booked in to be inspected tuesday but do you think their will be valve damage? I can get hold of a newish skimmed head if needs be for £100 if they have but whats my chances??

Cheers Bondie

Dodgy one
My guess is as good as everyone elses with regards to the valve damage, Unfortunatly theres no definitive answer.

The cams moving is a good sign shows the belts not snapped but it doesnt mean it hasnt jumped a couple of teeth.

Have you removed the aux belt and tried to start it?

PH2 RS 172 Forsale
No i was going to leave that to that garage to sort out, but if their is valve damage i have got a head lined up to replace it.

Megane dci 130
99% There will be valve damage.

P140409_1455.jpg

P280409_151602.jpg

PH2 RS 172 Forsale
So is that what has happened to my valves then isit? will the cam still move if the valves were like that?

cheers

PH2 RS 172 Forsale
Now booked in for a full cambelt and aux change using renault parts for £400. if theirs is valve damaged probley not to all 16 as the engine cut out straight away i will be able to replace them all between myself and cookie jnr. So maybe not the end of it yet!

Megane dci 130
So is that what has happened to my valves then isit? will the cam still move if the valves were like that?

cheers

The cams will still move because the cambelt is still on all the pulleys. Its just jumped out of sync. You will find you can move the pulleys VERY freely with the cambelt off. This indicates damage. Also you will probably find the tappet rollers have all been smashed off.

BMW M135i
Compression test would probably be the easiest way to confirm without having the timing tools and without major surgury but i'd imagine the above has happened as said unfortunately.

PH2 RS 172 Forsale
okay brilliant guy, so even with belts out of sync i shoud still get compression ir do i get the belts done firs. Cheers