ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PMS shifter

220 Trophy
When are you next out on track Mark?

Hi Kelv, hope you're well mate. I'm at Brands on the full GP circuit on the 27th along with my track-buddy in his 944 if you fancy joining us and presumably seeing/feeling the gear-linkage kit?

220 Trophy
Sounds like I could do with chucking it on my mates ramps and setting it up like that :)

Definitely worked for me up on axle stands with Mrs W on gear-stick duties while I was under the car manually adjusting the gear-box and the linkage clamp. Literally a mm of difference in length or degrees out on the linkage bar makes such a difference, perhaps I was lucky in that the initial 'both gear-box and gear-stick in reverse' setting seemed to work best for me.

RS2'd Cup Trackcar
After fitting mine last Sunday I managed to set it up correctly this morning. I also have no knocking in reverse or 5th and now have nice precise gear changes, it also self centres with ease.

Road car or track car, this is a cracking bit of kit....

​Jay

Just echoing what everyone else has said, great bit of kit. Set up was a bit of a pain without ramps, a helper to select gears whilst you fettle under the car is definitely useful. Gear selection is nice and precise, no problems with hitting the exhaust or tunnel. Finding the height is bang on (using a side mounted bucket seat sitting fairly low in the car).

Mine is fitted to a car that is used on the road and is very easy to live with!

220 Trophy
I took the Clio for a spin yesterday and the gear linkage kit feels even better on the road, may be it has more resistance with the engine running or once its up to temperature?? Anyway 1st may be a very slight bit notchy, but the other four are perfect therefore have left it as it is and apart from pulling away when do you use 1st?! Feels almost like a sequential box too and can really fly through the gears which made the car feel faster, cant wait for the 27th to get it on track.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Phil brought his to a meet yesterday, I didnt like the current lack of self centring but im sure as the joint loosens that will sort itself, and if not its easy to add springs.

I thought it felt excellent, no play at all, and the stick sits at a great height.

220 Trophy
Mine self-centers no problem. Wonder if its because I re-used my 'old' bush, in which case those that fitted the new bushes might find it loosening up a bit with use and the self-centering returning.

I'm 90% sure it's that plastic bush in the gearbox

Because with just that bush and the selector rod fitted - no gearstick or main rod - it's very stiff to move it through the gears

I'd probably just re-use the old plastic bush if you want it to self center, but I like how stiff mine is so I'm leaving it :D

I think it'll wear down eventually, maybe after a few track days when it's had some heat cycles, but the lack of self centering really doesn't bother me when driving. It's just a bit weird when sat in traffic as you constantly wonder whether you really have taken it out of gear lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
TBH just disconnect it from the box and sit there wiggling it left and right for an hour would sort it I reckon!

220 Trophy
​From talking with Nick at PMS the new bushes were included with the kit as they were so cheap and as the old ones needed to be removed to fit the new selector rod it made sense to do so. My car has only done 25k and the old bush looked like new so when I thought the new one was a different length I just popped it back in again. So basically I don’t think its imperative to replace it, just probably worthwhile if your car is a high-miler and the old bush may be worn.

RS2'd Cup Trackcar
I used the new bush and mine centres fine , what i did do tho was trim the small heat sheild right under the housing because it was rubbing a touch.....I'll get a vid up later.

mikes86

ClioSport Club Member
  182 track **** & MX5
You guys are making me jealous, i've had mine since the group buy was posted out but my back has been to bad to fit it! :cry::cry:

220 Trophy
The shifter kit worked fantastically at Brands last Thursday, no problems whatsoever - no problems selecting gears, no knocking on the tunnel. It'll turn out to be one of those fit & forget mods where through time I will forget just how much of an improvement it/was is over the standard set-up. I'm really happy with it and would recommend it to anyone that's thinking of buying one..

clio 172
im after getting one of these but one things putting me off, due to me having my seat set along way back 1st ,3rd,5th my arms are at full stretch , can this still work if i do the mod that makes it so 3 is where neturel is ??? thanks in advance

220 Trophy
im after getting one of these but one things putting me off, due to me having my seat set along way back 1st ,3rd,5th my arms are at full stretch , can this still work if i do the mod that makes it so 3 is where neturel is ??? thanks in advance

Couldn't tell you, but why not give Nick at PMS a call, best to hear it from the guy who designed it rather than all the 'experts' on CS.

I don't think you'd need to mate
There's quite a bit of adjustment on the new rod where you can choose how far back you want the stick.

With it set where I've set mine (which isn't fully forward on the rod) the gearstick sits further back than with the "burpspeed mod" I had before lol

The whole thing sits around 2-4" further back than the normal stick does.
Also with it being higher up - your arm isn't stretching down and forward so it's surprisingly close.

clio 172
cheers for that guys, just spoke to pure motorsport and they told me about the differance, can not wait till pay day , they are out of stock at the moment for the next two weeks so shall be ordering one next month :D

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Is you steering wheel still in the standard position?

If so if you can reach that properly you will have no trouble with the PMS shifter.

I need to get one ordered as well at some point but I know I have no time to fit it at the moment.

clio 172
Is you steering wheel still in the standard position?

If so if you can reach that properly you will have no trouble with the PMS shifter.

I need to get one ordered as well at some point but I know I have no time to fit it at the moment.

My steering wheel is lower than normal and is closer as well due to omp boss's ect.

Cup In bits
Don't worry, I'm 6'2" with long legs and I have a omp boss, 50mm spacer and then a snap off boss and its no problem. Loads of front to back adjustment.

Mine is rattling just now though, the outer reverse lock sleeve that goes round the main stick buzzes, does my napper in sometimes. A thin wrap of tape between the two might cure it, yet to try it.

clio 172
Don't worry, I'm 6'2" with long legs and I have a omp boss, 50mm spacer and then a snap off boss and its no problem. Loads of front to back adjustment.

Mine is rattling just now though, the outer reverse lock sleeve that goes round the main stick buzzes, does my napper in sometimes. A thin wrap of tape between the two might cure it, yet to try it.

Thats great tar pal i need a removable boss like yours what one is it

Cup In bits
Thats great tar pal i need a removable boss like yours what one is it

Its a lifeline one, it has developed some slight play (which is common i'v heard) the same as my old cheap copy one did and that's why I bought an expensive one so I would recommend the cheapo one for that reason.

This is the cheapo one, they come up on eBay sometimes for circa £60 instead of the £190 for the lifeline.

25AB66E3-5891-4682-B4B7-28DA5D149093-4846-00000389BA8AA452_zpsada563b1.jpg

182 trackday racer
I have mono boss + lifeline. Before I had full stretch for fifth, its much closer now. You will like it

220 Trophy

Mine's doing the same, a bit annoying but its only on the road to and from the track at constant revs that I notice it, on the track the whole car buzzes....

Would be good to resolve it if you or anyone else manages to do so.

Christopher.

South Central-South Coast
ClioSport Area Rep
Just started to fit this, little problem, the pivot bush has a little clip on it to keep both sides together. The one currently on the car has snapped and when trying to pull it down it obviously splits and can cant be pulled down. Tried using a terminal screw driver to pull together but still no joy. Any ideas ? can i just butcher bits off till it comes out ?

​Cheers