ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photography Chat and Questions Thread

Starlet_gt

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T5.1
I was wondering if someone could help with my problem? When I convert files from .Nef to .JPEG my pictures go from looking fine to having a blue tint to them... any ideas how to sort this out?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Anyone bought / sold a 7D recently ?

VERRRRRRY tempted to go 6D ... or 5d ii/iii ...

Any idea what I could expect on eBay/Scumtree/here for the body ? Minty mint condition... with 15-85 USM lens too or separately...

:eek:

I just bought an absolute minter from London Camera Exchange (the year without my 7D was awful)
I paid £750 with a memory card and a few bits.
I spotted yesterday they're doing them for £799 from canon refurb with a years warranty or I think it was £899 with the 15-85 usm.
I suspect you could get £700 body only for it.

Word of warning though mate - selling a camera for £700 on ebay you will lose £70 in ebay fees and another £20 ish in paypal fees :(

Italian 3.2 V6
I'm possiby after a 7D (with lenses) in the next couple weeks! Gona sell the 100x, also need to shift my old 1000d as it's just gathering dust!

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Cameras can front or back focus a lens but that's only for autofocus, manual focus should be spot on, try manually focusing on a static object with the camera on a tripod or flat surface.

Ill have a look , thansk Brazo. My camera is currently at Fixation as my shutter button doesnt work anymore!!

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I dont want to do wedding photography but i really like the look of some of these photos where the foreground is a little blurry and the focused area really draws you in. Is this a case of just focussing on the main area and everything else if out of focus?

I havent got my camera at the moment and was just curious...

http://mtmstudio.co.uk/london-wedding-photography-wapping/

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I dont want to do wedding photography but i really like the look of some of these photos where the foreground is a little blurry and the focused area really draws you in. Is this a case of just focussing on the main area and everything else if out of focus?

I havent got my camera at the moment and was just curious...

http://mtmstudio.co.uk/london-wedding-photography-wapping/

Short DoF from a large aperture..

Pour examplè:

8904076184_7ef6b2079f_z.jpg

Pegs @ f/1.4 by evil_giraffes_rule, on Flickr

8754744523_4d8d2c633f_z.jpg

Pizza at f/1.4 by evil_giraffes_rule, on Flickr

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
That is still shooting at a high aperture (low number) just focusing further into the image. If the photographer shout at f10-16 then everything would be short, including the branches in the foreground.

Teg's first shot is pretty much the same (obviously the subject is different but the rules are still the same)

That's just some out of focus shrubbery in the foreground. Which is out of focus due to the small DoF. And at that range, even if you had a tiny aperture, it would still be out of focus, just not as much.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
ok cool thanks a lot.

i really need to practice my photography more!!

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Find an object in your house and put it in front of the camera (not directly) then focus on something behind it and you’ll get that effect.

Mental 172 Cup
So I took the plunge from Nikon to Canon yesterday.. Sold my D90 body and picked up a brand new Canon 6d and a 100-400mm f4.5-5.6..

I need to get a good everyday lens and then get a prime and some more decent glass..

I love the feel of the new body.. Bigger screen and seems a much better camera.. Plus now I am full frame.. Will get out and have a play. Going to Oulton tomorrow for the Renaultsport Track Day.. Will see how it performs.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Why the change from Nikon to canon? Just curious as I have a D90

Mental 172 Cup
Shame that I can’t make it to Oulton tomorrow, I would have had a chat with you and seen the new camera.

Gutted mate.. Would of been good..

Just fancied it really, held a 5d MKii and just took a liking to it.. Nothing wrong with my D90 I took some decent photos with that.. But I just wanted more..

Merc A class
Gutted mate.. Would of been good..

Just fancied it really, held a 5d MKii and just took a liking to it.. Nothing wrong with my D90 I took some decent photos with that.. But I just wanted to take photos like Riad

See you tomorrow buddy! Look forward to seeing your work from the 6D!

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Just fancied it really, held a 5d MKii and just took a liking to it.. Nothing wrong with my D90 I took some decent photos with that.. But I just wanted more..

I was in the same position as Luke a few months back, after handling the FF Pro Canon body my D7000 never felt adequate.

Does anyone know if these are any good to buy from (or any good retailers stocking this bag), or even similar suggestions for similar price?
Ive got a Nikon D3200 with 2 lenses atm (18-55, 55-200) will want to carry them both and my mini ipad with a few cable bits and randoms.
Click

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
As for the retailers I think they’re a fairly well used and trusted retailer, the bag is good for an inconspicuous camera bag, the Nat Geo camera bags get a good name too.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I have a crumpler backpack and that would fit those lenses in, really well made and slightly more inconspicuous than a lowepro.

So I took the plunge from Nikon to Canon yesterday.. Sold my D90 body and picked up a brand new Canon 6d and a 100-400mm f4.5-5.6..

I need to get a good everyday lens and then get a prime and some more decent glass..

I love the feel of the new body.. Bigger screen and seems a much better camera.. Plus now I am full frame.. Will get out and have a play. Going to Oulton tomorrow for the Renaultsport Track Day.. Will see how it performs.

That's two moves to Canon FF now but I hear/have read that Nikon are better at the FF end of things?? I could be wrong. Still a nooby.

Anyway, i'm right around the corner from getting the same body. Looks like a smashing camera for the cash.

I'll be interested to see some of your 100-400mm shots from the FF as I was tempted by the altnernative option of a 70-200 F/2.8 and a 2xTC.

My issue with Nikon is just that I don't feel the glass is up to pro quality.

Once you've shot with L lenses there's nothing, in my opinion, that nikon make that is as good without spending twice the money!

Oil Burner
Thats because Nikon never used to make Prosumer glass. Canon has always had the market sown up with cheap L glass. 70-200 F4, 100-400, 17-40F4 etc...

Except for a few recent additions, Nikon glass was always either Consumer or Pro. And priced accordingly.

I'm interested to know how the AF performs on the 6D. I might try one as a second camera to see if i fancy moving to FF.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Oh ok, I'm not at full frame stage yet and doubt I will ever need to.

I have a 35mm and Nikon 18-200. The 18-200 is actually pretty good and is a holiday walkabout lens, but it is quite heavy.

What's a good lens to get next? 85mm prime?

I did hire a wide angle and didnt really feel I would use it that often. I have seen nikon do. 19-80 ( or something along those lines)

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Oh yeah , so my 85mm would be closer to 100?

But if my 35mm is close to a 50mm on the D90 would a 50mm be much different?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Is the Nikon a 1.6 crop? If so, then just multiply the focal length by that to see what you will get. Eg, a 100mm lens when put on to a crop body will be the equivalent of a 160mm lens.

50mm will be 80mm I think. Quite a difference IMO.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Thats because Nikon never used to make Prosumer glass. Canon has always had the market sown up with cheap L glass. 70-200 F4, 100-400, 17-40F4 etc...

Except for a few recent additions, Nikon glass was always either Consumer or Pro. And priced accordingly.

You’ve hit the nail on the head with that! That’s why it was more practical for me to move to Canon FF, for instance I’ve just picked up a 70-200mm F2.8L on TP for £660, you try to get an OEM 70-200 F2.8 for Nikon for that price! That added to the fact that I prefer Canon’s line up of lenses full stop. I’ll be staying with Canon now.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Is the Nikon a 1.6 crop? If so, then just multiply the focal length by that to see what you will get. Eg, a 100mm lens when put on to a crop body will be the equivalent of a 160mm lens.

50mm will be 80mm I think. Quite a difference IMO.

Good point. £80 on amazon ill get one

Mental 172 Cup
My pics from yesterday.. Photo quality completely tarnished by Facebook.. Lots more practice to be had with the 6d but there is so much potential. Here I basically fired the camera up for one of the first time and stuck it on manual all day.. Its alot different from the D90..

Anyway when I have more time tomorrow I will pick a selection and upload them to my flickr so you can see the quality..

Please like and share my page.. Plenty more motorsport events I will be attending when I can..

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...073741830.421917137925658&type=1&l=3604a04d6c