ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photography Chat and Questions Thread

So, basically, if you shoot full frame you'll need different lenses - otherwise my lenses will stay the same for any Canon body? I don't know too much about shooting FF and it's benefits yet...

Am I right to think our bodies have about 30mm of zoom (for want of better technical wording) built into their sensor? So my 50mm is like an 80, etc?

We more or less have the same lenses, you know. Except, my WA lens is Tamron.

CF cards are far more expensive too, right?

How long you been at this now dude?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not sure. I think you do in some cases, I really haven't looked in to it enough. I'm sure someone who has made the switch will know though.

As for the "zoom". Our bodies have a 1.6 crop factor. Some had 1.3iirc too. So on our wide angle, 10mm will actually give us 16mm. On our 250 at full zoom we will actually be getting 400 mm. That's what I gather anyway.

I started about ten years ago, maybe a bit longer actually. Started with an EOS 30 35mm and wasted a lot of money on film for it. Shot that fir a few years then didn't do much until I got a 1000d. Didn't have that long then went to a 30d as I preferred the layout and body size. The iso handling want the best so I went for the 550 as I thought I'd make use of the video function. I've used it once!

Am I right to think our bodies have about 30mm of zoom (for want of better technical wording) built into their sensor? So my 50mm is like an 80, etc?

Nah, as Mr. Cro says, for the 600D you just multiply the focal length by 1.6 to get the FF equivalent. So a 50mm on your body gives you the same focal length as an 80mm on FF, a 35mm would be the same as 56mm on FF, 70-200 is the same as 112-320 etc.

The 1D (minus the FF 1Ds/x/c) has a 1.3 multiplier, Nikon crop sensors are 1.5.

Cheers guys. That was rather informative.

I was going to ask more questions, but remembered that useful website - Google, or whatever it's called.

Just read all of this and it's bloody good for educating a newbie! Fully get the difference between a CS and a FFS now - right down to DoF and how to shoot haha.

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2...w-to-exploit-its-advantages-and-cool-effects/

However, now I want a FF camera too. >.<

Guessing that lenses are far more expensive for these?

If you're using the screen to shoot - that's why your throw-away rate is so high.

I loved my 7D - literally 90%+ of shots were keepers. The AF system is mind-blowing
I use it to get interesting angles like this which was taken well above my head and I'm 6' 1".

8977483448_a9aff18678.png

VW Beetle by Tom Cash, on Flickr

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
The lenses are more expensive, but second hand there are some bargains to be had, such as the 70-200 F4L which can go for reasonable prices, I'm planning on one as my next lens :)

The lenses are more expensive, but second hand there are some bargains to be had, such as the 70-200 F4L which can go for reasonable prices, I'm planning on one as my next lens :)
Ah cool. MPB photographic by any chance? Any more good used websites out there?

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
If you have an APS-C Canon body and would not / could not spend too much money on lens, I cannot recommend enough the Canon 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM. Sometimes it appears on ebay under £100 (after 2 months of hunting I bought mine for £50 only, that was bargain :D). It's truly superb lens for this price, very sharp between f/5.6-11 under 150 mm and the AF (USM type) is very-very quick (slightly quicker than 70-200 f/4 L).

There are often 2 or 3 examples of each of the lenses mentioned on TP Classifieds.
Usually reasonable money too.
I love my 55-250 - even on a battered old 550D, I get some incredibly sharp shots with it!

Dan...

ClioSport Club Member
Can anyone tell me how the hell you update your buddy icon on the new Flickr?

When I go to the (what I think is the right section of the website) all i see is this:

From what I can tell there is nothing to click on. I'm on iPad btw if that makes a difference?

Italian 3.2 V6
Danjenks.. Its the same on my iPad.. Gives no option to change it :( I thought it might be as I'm not a paid member :S

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Might work. If not you go to "My Account" or click on your buddy icon to get to it. Then where you see your buddy icon, over to the right is Edit, then choose a new icon from your computer/ flickr pic

From what I remember, you need to go to the old flickr.com (at the bottom of the screen), I couldn't do it with the new style layout

http://www.flickr.com/iconbuilder/?from=personal

Dan...

ClioSport Club Member
Might work. If not you go to "My Account" or click on your buddy icon to get to it. Then where you see your buddy icon, over to the right is Edit, then choose a new icon from your computer/ flickr pic

From what I remember, you need to go to the old flickr.com (at the bottom of the screen), I couldn't do it with the new style layout

http://www.flickr.com/iconbuilder/?from=personal

I've just tried by using the link you pasted and I think I can do it now so thanks :)

Italian 3.2 V6
1000D is up for sale :quiet: will be looking to buy a x100 this week on eBay!

Went to go look at a x100s today (there bigger than what I expected) but i loved it. Almost bought it there & then but decided to be sensible and buy the x100 first, to see how I get on with that seeing as there so much cheaper! then later on in the year go all out and get the x100s with wider lens.

So if anyone is interested in a beginners camera give me a shout!

Italian 3.2 V6
Making some cheeky offers as we speak for the X100! Is there anything I need to be aware of with these, like questions I should ask that arnt obvious :S

Also Some have filters, hoods etc included.. Any specific accesories which are a must for the X100?

RB 182 Cup
http://www.fujixspot.com/forum.php

I don't know of any problems with it, I've got the X10 and they had issues with their sensor, but they used different sensors anyway.

I love my X10 and would love and X100. They are just amazing to use, they feel so good in your hands and take great photos too, and whilst irrelevant to the image quality etc just look amazing!

Making some cheeky offers as we speak for the X100! Is there anything I need to be aware of with these, like questions I should ask that arnt obvious :S

Also Some have filters, hoods etc included.. Any specific accesories which are a must for the X100?

Serial numbers beginning 12 and 13 (and some 14) including one of the letters A, L, M or N are known to have/develop the sticky aperture blade (SAB) issue. I think there was a 3% failure rate but worth bearing in mind.

http://www.fujix-forum.com/ is a great forum/resource.

As for accessories, it's personal preference but a shutter release button might be of interest, I have one on my X100 and X-E1, wouldn't be without them. A strap of some kind is worth investigating, I love my Footprint wrist strap.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I keep the fuji uv filter on 99% of the time. If u scratch the lens its game over and theres not much protection without. Ive also got a 49mm cpl and the lens hood, which ive never actually used.

Italian 3.2 V6
Well I have bought one! an offer was accepted before you guys replied. £420 posted 1st class! He had plenty of good pictures of the condition of it and it looks spot on too! Comes with an additional 2spare battary's and a memory card, aswell as Charger, cables n & boxed etc. I should have it for when I get back home on Friday! :) can't wait tbh!

..Serieal number includes a 'N' though :( !!!

il look into accessories this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Right I'm getting to the point where practice isn't enough anymore. I really need some tips white balance being one of them, I really can't sort my night shots out

9171228500_5255ff744d_b.jpg

Thames by scrooge89, on Flickr

9171228864_dbb4f866e0_b.jpg

Queen Elizabeth by scrooge89, on Flickr

A nice bit of constructive criticism is need I think :)

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I need to sort a proper bit of editing software tbh, I haven't edited a thing yet. I tried all the different WB settings, starting with auto then to tungsten, still had that horrible orangeness :(

Golf GTD Mk7
download a cracked copy of lightrooms mate. Works brilliantly and is relatively user friendly. Have you played with the metering settings also? WB will be affected by this due to the reference point. The second picture for example has two different colour lights, so this will affect the over all image.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I haven't mate, I've never touched the metering settings.

I'll try lightroom as i've heard a few good things about it.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
You don't even need a cracked copy tbh. Just find a copy and then look on YouTube for a serial. They all work as it doesn't connect to the net to check it unlike the other adobe programmes.
Loads of tutorials on there too but it is pretty easy to pick up.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
WB looks better on there mate.
With LR you'll have a picker too so if you know something on your picture is white (road sign for example) it will change the settings to suit and you can just tweak them then.
Remember to shoot in RAW as you will also have all of the camera options, if you shoot JPEG then you'll have "As shot" or auto.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Yep I changed my camera to Raw L, didn't realise it kept a jpeg and a raw image. Thanks :) I think I just need to get a lot more practise in now

Second attempt looks loads better dude.

Like everyone says, RAW + Lightroom and you're away.

It's really simple once in lightroom. Colour pick something that should be white and the software does the rest. Then you can adjust temp anyway, if you're unhappy with the result. :)

Anyone have any suggestions to any books, magazines or videos to help me use my camera better? Its a D3200 with a 18-55mm and 55-200 lens iirc. I want to be able to take pictures and look at them to understand where im going wrong.