ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photography Chat and Questions Thread

Merc A class
Just purchased a 1Dmkiii and a Sigma 50mm 1.4 today, looking forward to trying them out!

on the look out for a 70-200 2.8 now!

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
Just purchased a 1Dmkiii and a Sigma 50mm 1.4 today, looking forward to trying them out!

on the look out for a 70-200 2.8 now!

I tried a 70-200 2.8 last weekend, awesome stuff. I'm quite impressed :)

I'm feeling the X100 love at the moment.

I need my a77 for motorsport and wide angle stuff when we go travelling, so that's staying regardless, but as I was approaching a 35mm 1.4 purchase anyway I wonder if the money would be better used on an X100. As we're travelling later this year the thought of a 35mm that is always good to go without changing lens on my a77 is very appealing.

With the latest firmware are they ok focusing in fairly dim light (a restaurant, for example)? I loved my 35mm when I had Canon FF gear, it rarely left the 5D, so it would get a lot of use, but mostly indoor or for evening walkabouts I imagine.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve got the single suction cup version of that for my little action camera, it is rated to 1.3kg though and does support my full camera, I wouldn’t put it on a car though. This one will probably be fine because it’s the double version.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
I own a single cup version of that, the head on it is metal and it feels really solid, I only use it for an action cam but it’s rated up to 1.3kg, so this should hold a lot more, it has held my D7000 (I was hovering below it with my hand just incase) and it felt quite secure, so this version should be fine.

Dynamique 1.2 16v
Going to the south of France next week for 3 days so will try and get some good pictures of the beach/sunset/maybe some street stuff too! Weather permitting haha if not, just be inside the pub drinking cherry beer.

Edited because iPhone posted it too soon!

Yep as above, house insurance will do the trick. I specified the total value of items I take away with me, and also the most expensive single item. Only added about a tenner to our annual premium despite £3k cover with a £1k limit per item.

Golf GTD Mk7
I'm going on holiday in a few weeks time and want to take my DSLR - Where is the best place to get some insurance from just in case anything happens?

How expensive is the gear? Home insurance usually has a personal possession cover up to £1500 as standard.

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
I'm thinking of buying a Canon 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM. Do you have any experience with this lens? I read that it works very well between f5.6-f11 on APS-C (in this aperture range its optical quality is enough close to the quality of 70-200 f/4 L USM) and its AF is very fast. It's fairly cheap now, I could buy it for approx. 50 pounds. I would give it a try. Any opinions?

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
For all of you Nikon shooters I’ve got all of my gear for sale in the ‘other for sale’ section. D7000, Sigma 50 F1.4, Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6, Sigma 100-300 F4. I’m making the jump to Canon in the form of a 5D Mark II second hand, that’s if I get all of the money from my gear. I am going to be left with just the 5D and a 50 F1.4 but I’m willing to compromise for a while to have such an awesome camera. I need a quick sale to get the 5D before a trip to london in early July.

Wouldn't a D600 be a better choice mate? Prices are really coming down, 5d mk2 is barely an improvement on the d7000 in ISO, only half a stop and 2 stops less dynamic range than your current camera.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Well I decided on the 5D due to having used one, I love the images it produces and they do have a rather distinctive look to them. Also, I know people who shoot Canon that while I’m raising funds for my own lenses can lend me lenses from time to time for motorsport etc, and seems as I’d have to sell most of my gear to fund it anyway I might as well go all the way and jump ship seems as I planned on doing that long term - Canon’s lens lineup seems to have a nicer range than the Nikons, although that could strike up some controversy.

Strictly speaking the D600 is a better camera per say. But the 5D seems a safe choice seems as I’ve used one and loved it, plus I do prefer the big pro body ergonomics to the semi-spo bodies. But anyway, I think it’ll be a worthwhile upgrade, the main downside at the moment is that I’ll only be able to afford a 50mm F1.4 to go with it, which isn’t too bad seems as it’s my favourite lens at the moment.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
It's looking hopeful, thanks for the post on Facebook too! It's a great help, I had a guy message me about the 50 but the price was too high, unfortunately I can't budge on price due to the amount I need for the 5D :/

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
The 10-20 is only 2 months old, and the 50 is 10 months old. So they’re in pretty good condition apart from the odd very tiny signs of use that I’m only listing as a sort of disclaimer if I get a very particular buyer, that’s how small the marks/signs of wear are.

White APE
I'm off for a few days at the start of July and have got a few nights booked up near Kirkby Stephen between the Lake District and Yorkshire dales.

Can anybody recommend some good photo spots around the lakes etc? I'm sure I've seen some great shots from some piers up that way.

Cheers

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah it could be a challenge and make me think about the image more. Besides, long term I’ll be back on my feet with my lenses with a nice full frame sensor behind them! Thanks, Brazo :)

Golf GTD Mk7
Wouldn't a D600 be a better choice mate? Prices are really coming down, 5d mk2 is barely an improvement on the d7000 in ISO, only half a stop and 2 stops less dynamic range than your current camera.

Toyed around with this myself, but ended up skipping the d600 and getting a mint D3 instead (was going to get the D3s, but for the extra £1000 I couldn't justify it and the difference aren't that great imo). OMG the pics are amazing by comparison to DX. My gear is also on ebay :)

My Fuji XF 55-200mm (which is near impossible to source at the moment) has gone missing courtesy of Parcelforce. Posted yesterday by WEX, apparently delivered at lunchtime today and signed for by myself (although the sig they've supplied is illegible). I was at work all day today, no card in door, none of the neighbours have it. Gutted! I know it will get sorted eventually, but I had so much planned with it this weekend.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
The new camera is set to arrive on wednesday, so I need a sale on my 50mm F1.4 in order to fund a 50 for the 5D, I’m having to borrow one for a few days to try it out as it stands. So all you Nikon shooters or people who know Nikon shooters get in touch for a fantastic fast 50 :)

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
My new camera arrived today, and I already love it, despite not even having a lens for it yet (that'll be Saturday). The big pro body ergonomics are really refreshing after the D7000's smaller grip, it just feels incredibly comfortable to hold and the grip moulds to your hand nicely. The controls are gradually becoming second nature, especially after using JamesBryan's 5D Mark II every so often, so all in all I'm very happy and I have absolutely no regrets in making the move, even despite sacrificing 3 lenses and having 1 now. I can't wait to get shooting with it. I'm off to London at the start of July so that'll be a nice first proper trip it's used on :)

Hrmmm another 5D convert who shoots sports/action shots... I'll be interested to see how your next btcc/clio cup turns out

I really want a 5D but everyone kept telling me the AF would bug the hell out of me doing action stuff. It doesn't seem to be the case though lol

Hrmmm another 5D convert who shoots sports/action shots... I'll be interested to see how your next btcc/clio cup turns out

I really want a 5D but everyone kept telling me the AF would bug the hell out of me doing action stuff. It doesn't seem to be the case though lol

I shot motorsport with the original 5D no problems, not sure what the issue is to be honest, it didn't feel noticeably slower than any other body I've owned. Lack of reach was a bit of a bugger, mind.

Far too much emphasis on these things imo.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
James uses his for motorsport and it’s fine, the AF on the 5D2 is easily a match for my D7000 in practise, I think people who are used to ultra-fast pro action orientated cameras lose some perspective in camera reviews etc, the 5D2’s AF is made out to be a lot worse than it is.

Yeah most of the forums say the 5D Mark II misses too many shots because it only has one cross focus point doesn't it

I know my 7D was insane, you could pretty much let it choose focus points, and 99% of panning shots were pin sharp. But I kinda like the idea at having to work for it a bit more

Getting a 70-300L in a few months and I have a huge craving to swap my body in for a 5D Mark II now they've come down in price a bit.

Niall - yeah I think I'm gonna have to borrow my mates and see what it's like. I know the 5D is s**t in low light but the outdoor sunny action shots I've seen from people like James have been fine.