ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photography Chat and Questions Thread

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I've got it on my 5D3, mainly for raw video which looks amazing. It's a bit nerve wracking to install but went ok.

Remind me to give you a demo next time we see each other!

That'd be good mate :approve:

The raw video out of the mk3 does look immense, any problems with yours overheating using raw video? Seen a few reports of people saying after a while it starts to get hot and the camera locks up and freezes :S

Anyone ever used a nikon 16-35mm f4?
If i can find one at the right price i may be tempted, i hear good things and i think it could suit my needs.

Yep. That was my trusted WA lens. Cracking lens, the VR is really good too.

I recently sold it as I rarely used it, but that's mainly as I'm less active in photography these days. It's either that or the 14-24mm imho.

What about the 17-35mm f2.8? Will this work well on a DX body?
Most say the 16-35 is great on a DX body, can't find so much on the 17-35.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
The 16-35 is a great lens, I haven't used one on a DX body but obviously it wont be an accurate 16-35 on a DX body.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
If you plan on going FX then get the 16-35, if you’re staying DX I’d go for the 17-55 for the extended range and faster aperture :)

Looking at getting a lens, is this something i should be worried about?

13759755253_55b43d4309_c.jpg

Taken through the lens with the aperture wide open. Sorry about the quality, only taken with my phone, but you get the idea.

Its an old lens, so not going to be perfect but is that the amount of dirt and dust thats going to cripple the image quality?

Have you put the lens in your camera and taken an image, you'd be surprised but you can literally smash the front element and it will only show up in certain light, I can link to a great article in this.

once mounted its generally the smaller f stops such as f16 -32 that would show up dust or spots.

Very interesting. Thanks for that Brazo.

It may be worth taking a chance then.
Whats best to test the lens at? Pictures of the sky at f16?

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
I’m not sure that I’d chance a lens with so much dust, it could be quite restricting should you want to stop it down for fear of it all showing up. What lens is it? Could you not get a better copy?

Yeah shoot the sky at f16, the collective age of my lens collection has to be over 200 years old lol! Some have dust and it never shows.

Its an old 17-35mm, so always going to be a risk unless paying top price for one.

Here are some JPEGs taken with it, only the definition has been enhanced to try and make the dirt stand out more.

13779649233_17c68aa28c_c.jpg

13779675645_73f2cbf31a_c.jpg

Im guessing id be looking in the hundreds to get it cleaned.

200 years Brazo!!! You better have more than a couple of lenses.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
What make of lens is it?
I've got a Sigma 17-35 f2.8 and it seems the blades are stuck at 2.8 :(
Going to cost a hundred from sigma to get it repaired but looking on eBay, I'm not sure it's worth it.

Looks more like sensor dust than lens dust. Yeah I have more than a couple. Fave three are from the early 1980's so there's 90 years off the bat!

Here are some JPEGs taken with it, only the definition has been enhanced to try and make the dirt stand out more.

Are you sure that's not your sensor? I would be very surprised if that's lens dust, most lenses more than a year or so old will have plenty of dust in them if you really look for it, but compared to sensor dust it's incredibly unlikely you will ever notice it in real life photos.

I think it could well be sensor dust. Means that the lens may be worth the gamble.
Is there much risk in getting lenses cleaned?

But you took that with your phone.. of the lens ???

Just the lens by itself - looking through it ?!

Yes, the first is taken with my phone through the lens in question, definitely lens dust/dirt. Looking through the lens you see whet the phone picture shows.

The two pictures taken with the lens on my camera, the dust/dirt doesn't seem to show up.

It won't show up in the pics mate if you can smash the front element and not notice it it in pics a few bits of dust will be fine!

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
What's a good DSLR as a starter package? I had a 550D last year which I liked. Any good deals available/recommendations etc?

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
The latest DRTV episode - some amazing photos, and some even better gear! That flash. Wow.

Last edited by a moderator:

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
I've been looking at Speedlites too as the ones I have are not compatible with my 6D. The 430EX used price seems to be fairly high, I'm tempted to buy new.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
I've been looking at Speedlites too as the ones I have are not compatible with my 6D. The 430EX used price seems to be fairly high, I'm tempted to buy new.

I’ve just bought a 580EX off Talk Photography tonight; excellent condition, boxed w/pouch, foot etc for £150. Not bad.

430EX prices are around the £95 mark on TP, I thought that was fairly reasonable really.