ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Phase 1 VS Phase 2... GO!

172 berg, Fabia VRS
Id only have a ph1 in titanium personally, they just look really nice but ph2s look good in any colour plus have a more refined feel ( if you can say that about a clio :/ )

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
It's all about personal preferance. I owned a phase 1 for two years and it was great and relatively rare. If I was to get another clio it would be a phase 2.

Phase1 for me had a phase2 but prefer both the looks and drive of the Phase 1. Also feels a bit quicker too :p

Would like to try a cup though

1.2 16v
Much prefer the Ph2, Ph1 just doesn't cut it for me... i love the lines and pointlyness of the ph2 lights etc :) awesome. Although, mine WOULD look good if they didn't look so crap (Has the whole yellow spider web effect litterally all over each light, gutted!)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'm a Ph1 purist.

Give me a standard Ph1 over a Ph2 any day.

This!

Ph2, yes they look a bit nicer from the inside, but the exterior and the cable throttle both trump the ph2.

Its just a shame there are no nice ph1's left anymore. Most have had paint or poorly maintained or 11 owners. :(

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I constantly change my mind on this.

I preferred my 182 to the ph1 although the front end on the Ph1 is much nicer IMO.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Ph2s look more aggressive and fresher but I think i prefer the looks of the ph1s :eek:

Ph2 interior is better.

Ph1 with ph2 cup spoiler, rear lights and interior ;)

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
I can't stand the look of phase 1s, they look so old and dated. IMO of course. Phase 2s look a lot more fresh.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
This debate will allways go- ph1 owners prefer them over the 182 and the vice versa, 9 times out of ten that is.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Not as much as which car next though eh mate... ; )

I've had both. Next one will be another phs 2 or Cup. Unless I stumble across a bargain phase 1.

Lol, fair one. Makes for entertaining reading im sure :)

I'm in the process of considering buying a new Clio as my phase 1 is getting tired tbh.

is it poss to swop the phase 1 front with a 182 or is it major pain ?

Thinking buy a bumped one might be a idea but clios don't seem to take front ends that well lol

225 Cup & Williams
I prefer the Ph1 personally. I owned a 182 Trophy after the Ph1 and still prefer the Ph1 in every way. Biggest thing was the cable throttle I loved it, It was so much better than the fbw on the trophy.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
This!

Ph2, yes they look a bit nicer from the inside, but the exterior and the cable throttle both trump the ph2.

Its just a shame there are no nice ph1's left anymore. Most have had paint or poorly maintained or 11 owners. :(

I must be one of the lucky ones then, im the 3rd owner and its done 45k (39k 3 years ago when i bought it) my cars loved and looked after as im an ex Aston Martin mechanic for 12 years :)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Phase 1's are rawer to drive in my experience.

I've had a 182 with Cup packs and two Phase 1 172's.

I much prefer the Phase 1's. Throttle cable and smaller wheels with good tyres makes it feel like you're driving a mans chariot. They do everything well. The only problem i have had with all my Clio's is they make me drive too fast LOL.

I've owned both Ph1 & 2. I prefer the Ph1 now.

As Danny says, they feel "rawer" to drive, plus they're hard as nails. I still wouldn't say no to an RB 182 though. :eek:

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Got a ph1 at the mo still feels good and goes well.
Do find it noise that a 182 though.
I like the looks too.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I really miss the looks of my Phs2 Monaco. Then again, I love the look of my iceberg Phs1.

It's like Sophie's choice

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Both have pros and cons

Ph1s have a cable throttle, the front ends have character and they come in sunflower

Ph2s have a nicer interior, better rear lights, look more modern, have a better rear bumper, come in ly, rb and cr... Can have 2 poo shoots and the cup packs look great as standard

If it were me choosing I'd have a ph1.5 in sunflower or a ff ly182

133/225/CLS AMG
I like them both to be honest. I think the Phase II 172 has aged better though and still looks relatively fresh even now.

That said the Phase I 172 looks it's age inside and out but I like the understated feel of it. The 172 MKII is subtle as is but MKI is even more likely to be underestimated by average idiot in his 1.2 Corsa! lol

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I like parts of both, and none of this mix matching either, just pure phase 1 or pure 182 for me, only phase 2 172 i'd have is a cup, don't like the standard trim ones at all.

having said that if I could put the cable throttle onto the 182 i'd be happy, that's the main difference in feel between the two imo in terms of driving experience (my 182 is on 15's) but then I spose i'd loose the cruise control and I like the toys in the 182 over the phase 1....dammit

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
This!

Not true, there are still nice ones left, Steve at r-sports cars and myself can confirm this ;)

Evo
Currently owning both a ph-quick, whoops I mean ph1 and ph2 I prefer everything about the ph1. Dashboard, seats, steering wheel, looks, performance.

They're just a little bland from the rear end for my liking.