ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 revival

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
***Content warning - PH1 abuse***

So here i am, dusting off my old cliosport.net

This car was previously part of a long thread back in 2011, https://cliosport.net/threads/strugglers-back-ph1-172-project-bit-of-a-read.614966/

The clio ended up in a garage due to financial constraints and a bit of lost interest to be honest. Then late 2021 it had to be moved. I was extremely close to selling it, but once i gave it a clean i realised i didn't really want to. It then moved around a bit to where i could find to store it, including a year sat outside my flat in SE London (see attempted theft damage) but now it has finally made its way home to the new garage my parents built.

So after sitting for over 10 years (still only on 85km) i need to work out what to do with it. Its definitely looking worse for wear but there's life in it yet i hope!
Hopefully the engine has fared OK. Cambelt is definitely needs doing. Starter is stuck, battery is kaput, brakes need rebuilding and there's general surface rust all over the shop.

I guess i will see in the coming weeks how the restoration goes. First job will be to get the engine back out and start cleaning the body up as much as i can. Let me know what you think.

245320785_10165611155780613_8093373717714484824_n.jpg

245098758_10165611155650613_3956408895991466519_n.jpg

Hoping this is just surface and will clean up ok...

245450803_10165611155815613_1851017591505492530_n.jpg

Bit of theft damage :(

20230607_105738.jpg

New home

11ee5c96-5170-4387-be3c-1b2a2cb093ed.jpg

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Ooof, that's seen better days. Will be good to see it roll back the years.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Nice, surface rust looks to just be on the rear beam and coilovers etc, check the actual chassis itself, ideally from behind the rear door cards and peer down into the inner sills

Just went back and looked at your original thread, you were really pushing on with the strip out and engine tidy up - with a bit more of a push I reckon you could get it sorted, doesn't sound like too much given the work you put in already those years ago. As Coops said - how are the inner arches and also the sills/petrol cap?

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
My first plan is to start getting bit of the body stripped ready to get the engine back out.
Removing some bodywork I'm sure will tell a better tale of how it's faired over the years, i will add down where the rear cards used to be to part of the inspection.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
So had my first little strip down today, very happy with how easily its coming apart, i was expecting a lot of swearing and snapping bolts but so far everything has been a dream. Not too much at the moment as i only had an evening but will be back next week to strip the engine bay more. Most of the things that are coming off are going in the bin, i don't really trust ,much of the cooling system so will just replace bits with aftermarket.

20230808_184522.jpg

Now for the dreaded rust - I was actually pleasantly surprised, after a little search on here it would seem that many of these mk2 are much much worse than this. Gave it a prod and it doesn't feel soft or holey. Not completely sure if i should try and get away with just putting some rust treatment on it and hope i can just halt it as it is or get the skirts off and do a thorough job. By all means let me know your thoughts :).

20230808_175238.jpg
20230808_175108.jpg

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
So had my first little strip down today, very happy with how easily its coming apart, i was expecting a lot of swearing and snapping bolts but so far everything has been a dream. Not too much at the moment as i only had an evening but will be back next week to strip the engine bay more. Most of the things that are coming off are going in the bin, i don't really trust ,much of the cooling system so will just replace bits with aftermarket.

View attachment 1655558

Now for the dreaded rust - I was actually pleasantly surprised, after a little search on here it would seem that many of these mk2 are much much worse than this. Gave it a prod and it doesn't feel soft or holey. Not completely sure if i should try and get away with just putting some rust treatment on it and hope i can just halt it as it is or get the skirts off and do a thorough job. By all means let me know your thoughts :).

View attachment 1655559View attachment 1655560
Wow, that's not bad at all. Seen loads of newer cars worse than that. Agitate the surface rust, give it a few coats of Hydrate 80 and if possible buy a can of B&H Dynax S50 and apply in all the seams and hidden areas. It creeps into all the places you can't get a brush and has anti-rust properties. Get the skirts off and repeat.

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
I dunno, my 02 plate 172 was like that from inside, you need to take the skirts off ideally by drilling out the rivets, I bet they will be packed with mud and shite! Mine needed cutting and welding. Check around the filler cap as well, same deal there with crud getting stuck on the filler neck in the arch.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
Wow, that's not bad at all. Seen loads of newer cars worse than that. Agitate the surface rust, give it a few coats of Hydrate 80 and if possible buy a can of B&H Dynax S50 and apply in all the seams and hidden areas. It creeps into all the places you can't get a brush and has anti-rust properties. Get the skirts off and repeat.
Purchased! and slopped a load down in the rear arches and under front jacking points where it looked a bit surface.

Long term plan is to get the car to a rolling shell then work on the body:
  • Cage mounts welded
  • Seat rails welded
  • handbrake opening welded
When i get to this point i will hold my breath and take the sills off :oops:. Time will tell how bad it is.

In the meantime, i picked up an engine crane to remove the engine but have found that between 10 years ago and now i have lost one of the engine hooks! damn things. So instead i basically took as much as i could off ready to remove.

Things that have now been removed:
  • Bumper
  • Headlights
  • Radiator
  • Hoses
  • Inlet
  • Exhaust
  • Aux belt ancillaries (it was only the alternator from the last build)
  • Gear selector (PMS one coming).
  • front brakes (need a rebuild kit and repaint)
Thankfully this being already pretty stripped, removing what is there has been pretty painless.
1692866353570.jpeg

And in response to the question "why are you taking the engine out". Because i want to :p. I am in no rush to get this car finished, I am planning some track days in the spring so i can take my time. It's also much easier to work on the body and the engine when they are separate and i quite enjoy these things anyway.

Picked up some KTR Jenvys, GEN90 ECU, 225 injectors and a PMS breather plate at a reasonable price.
GuJZU7umdZ0t5MadeLG7-IPfngU&_nc_ht=scontent-man2-1.jpg

and some
_nc_ohc=u1n3HNNmfNsAX_wcOdN&_nc_ht=scontent-man2-1.jpg

and some lairy CatCam 5503422s. Will need to buy some Vernier pulleys as i am told these are non-VVT versions.

Ending up with a lot of parts to get rid of, hopefully i can sell most of it and recoup some money but car being stored so far away is difficult. I may have some flash sale one weekend.
1692865999982.jpeg

And that was it for today, light faded and I had to leave. Next job is to convince my dad to get rid of that damn motorobike so i can have some more room!
1692866133612.jpeg

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Purchased! and slopped a load down in the rear arches and under front jacking points where it looked a bit surface.

Long term plan is to get the car to a rolling shell then work on the body:
  • Cage mounts welded
  • Seat rails welded
  • handbrake opening welded
When i get to this point i will hold my breath and take the sills off :oops:. Time will tell how bad it is.

In the meantime, i picked up an engine crane to remove the engine but have found that between 10 years ago and now i have lost one of the engine hooks! damn things. So instead i basically took as much as i could off ready to remove.

Things that have now been removed:
  • Bumper
  • Headlights
  • Radiator
  • Hoses
  • Inlet
  • Exhaust
  • Aux belt ancillaries (it was only the alternator from the last build)
  • Gear selector (PMS one coming).
  • front brakes (need a rebuild kit and repaint)
Thankfully this being already pretty stripped, removing what is there has been pretty painless.
View attachment 1657625

And in response to the question "why are you taking the engine out". Because i want to :p. I am in no rush to get this car finished, I am planning some track days in the spring so i can take my time. It's also much easier to work on the body and the engine when they are separate and i quite enjoy these things anyway.

Picked up some KTR Jenvys, GEN90 ECU, 225 injectors and a PMS breather plate at a reasonable price.
View attachment 1657626

and some
View attachment 1657627
and some lairy CatCam 5503422s. Will need to buy some Vernier pulleys as i am told these are non-VVT versions.

Ending up with a lot of parts to get rid of, hopefully i can sell most of it and recoup some money but car being stored so far away is difficult. I may have some flash sale one weekend.
View attachment 1657622

And that was it for today, light faded and I had to leave. Next job is to convince my dad to get rid of that damn motorobike so i can have some more room!
View attachment 1657623
I think the level and standard at which you're working requires the engine out anyway. Very satisfying to get into all the nooks and crannies knowing it's as good as you can get it. Take your time and look forward to seeing it progress.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
So spent the other weekend getting the engine out. Pretty straight forward when you've already stripped the PAS/AC and other bits off.

IMG-20230827-WA0004.jpg

Subframe definitely needs a bit of TLC at a later stage but due to space had to go straight back on after the engine came out.

20230827_164458.jpg
20230827_184556.jpg

Then went and attached the ABS controller and associated wiring:
20230828_132712.jpg

Gave the engine bay a good clean, was pretty happy again how its faired over the last 10 years.

20230828_133020.jpg

Gearbox got a good clean (don't worry, i refitted the NS shaft before going at it with a jet wash). I think i might even get away with not having to repaint it to be honest.
20230828_132658.jpg

And finally some engine pics.
20230828_171120.jpg
20230828_171152.jpg
20230828_171244.jpg
20230828_171257.jpg

Remove the spark plugs and dropped some oil down the cylinders before trying to turn it over slowly for the first time in a decade. Had an initial panic as there was a clunk and no movement of the pully, but closer inspection found that the stand was bolted hard against the flywheel. Up moving this it turned over absolutely fine :love:.

Plan now is to start building the new brake lines at the front before dropping the rear beam and stripping it down. Never made brake lines before so that should be interesting. The engine will likely stay out now until the spring, really makes the car so much easier to manoeuvre around the garage with no engine in it!

Anyway, thanks for your attention.