ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 Flamer project

Hi all!

This is my first Clio project, so go easy on me.

Took a punt on Ebay a month or so ago at this Phase 1 in Flame Red with 85k on the clock; seems to be a good little car! In the short time I've had it all I've done is whack a set of AP coilovers on it and changed the oil and filter. Got a bucket seat and harness laying around that I'll be throwing in too once I've got hold of an appropriate subframe.

Other than that, plans are to machine polish it and generally tidy up the bodywork; probably stick a set of Speedline 2118's to replace the (ruined) F1's currently on it, Sabelt wheel as the current one is peeling horrendously, perhaps a cage and a hefty diet once the Summer comes!

Few photos of it whilst at home over Christmas:

IMG_1570_zpsd0c1624e.jpg

IMG_1573_zps2cb93c8f.jpg

IMG_1576_zpsae1c47e6.jpg

An also one with my brother's Cup.

IMG_1575_zpsa36e6aa7.jpg

Haven't updated this in a while! Progress has been fairly slow and steady, no big changes as of yet really, just been renewing things as and when they need it! I'm still resisting the urge to rip the interior out and turn it into a track ****.
Wheels are still in dire need of a refurb which hopefully will be booked in next pay day, so long as I can find a company that'll do a good job on them; if anyone could point me in the right direction in the Midlands that'd be brilliant!
Future plans wise I'd like to have the front end repainted as the bumper an bonnet are pretty stonechipped as you would expect from a 12 year old car. Would also like a cup spoiler, RARB and a RS tuner remap.

A few photos (excuse my crap camera skills)

P1010420.jpg

P1010414.jpg
Showing how bad the wheels are!
P1010426.jpg

P1010415.jpg

P1010421.jpg

P1010419.jpg

Been due an update for some time, cars had a few bits and bobs done;

Paint corrected
Brakes
Driveshafts
Exhaust mounts
Engine mounts (going to have to replace again with vibratechnics as they're knocking again after no time at all)
Geometry setup (Tracking/ camber/ ride height)
Rainsport 3's all round.
Carbon Motordrive driver's seat

A while ago an idiot pulled out on me on a roundabout whilst I was on the way to work. I tried to stop in time but unfortunately we made contact and the resulting damage occurred:

2klssm.jpg

Believe it or not, the guy in the other car is not accepting fault and is saying I should've stopped in time to let him onto the roundabout (I know, you couldn't make it up!) And so, the insurance dispute continues. Luckily the damage is superficial and I got away with a buggered headlamp, wing and a scuff to my N/S front wheel. After a couple of months I'd decided I'd had enough of my Insurance company and decided to fix it myself temporarily till it can go to the bodyshop for a full front end respray in the summer;

Onto the rebuild;

599837_556793181078284_1726791600_n.jpg

1467318_561786217245647_236638997_n.jpg

1459901_557256131031989_1408021317_n.jpg

1450885_558204174270518_2035417859_n.jpg

1505618_568413403249595_375124932_n.jpg

All done, pleased with the result. The finish is actually better than the factory job haha, the paint match is very close but is slightly noticeable in some lights; so will be off to the bodyshop in the near future (will finally have the wheels refurbed then too!)

1488882_566836720073930_122822862_n.jpg

And some other photos along the way :)

1383968_534445013313101_782042091_n.jpg

1380502_524380174319585_1400049668_n.jpg

Attachments

• 1380502_524380174319585_1400049668_n.jpg
    1380502_524380174319585_1400049668_n.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 78
Looking good. Love a good ph1. If you get a chance could you show a pic of how you mounted the seat belt pretensioner onto the seat/sidemount? I'd like to do this in mine, but I'm not sure how.

Thanks for the all the kind words :)

Looking good. Love a good ph1. If you get a chance could you show a pic of how you mounted the seat belt pretensioner onto the seat/sidemount? I'd like to do this in mine, but I'm not sure how.

It's a Cobra x-low mount, I've nicked a pic I found on google here, it's the tab with the bolt through it.

photo.jpg

Paint job looks great considering it was a rattle can job! Good work.

What is lurking in the garage under all that stuff? :)

Thanks mate, took a good two weeks to get it to an acceptable standard. It's my Dad's Lotus Elan +2 Project, awaiting his retirement to get it finished!

Looks spot on, thought this was going back to standard and being sold a while back?

@DannyR hands off!

Yeah that was the intention, I took the seats out to sell and then a couple of days later had the accident. I was on the brink of totally splitting the car but didn't have the heart to do it. Since then I've found it's got a bodged cambelt job (mmm tipex) and now it has the slightly different coloured wing so I wouldn't be happy selling it knowing these things are wrong with it. I'm gonna have to fork out a wedge to have it all sorted so I may as well keep it now.

1424439_544800515610884_958550374_n.jpg

Where did you get the colour coat from, rattle cans ?

Sorry, forgot to reply to this! These ones mate, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Holts-Car...ssories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item27dd4395ad

Don't get me wrong, it ain't perfect but for 16 quid delivered (about 1/2 price of same amount of halfrauds pre-mix) and a few hours of your time, you can't go wrong for a temp-fix. A lot of people turn their noses up at rattle cans but with the right prep, conditions for spraying and a machine polisher you can get a half decent finish.

Read this thread twice today. I love it.

I want a Ph1 Flamer beside my Ph2 rep.

Cheers chap :) Funny you should say that, I'd love a Phase 2 in flame red to match it haha!

Not much gone on with this recently, just keeping on top of servicing and keeping it clean etc, Nothing exciting. My insurance have finally settled my claim and I've just sent off the quote from the bodyshop for confirmation so hopefully in the next couple of months it will be back to good as new (they better not bloody write it off!). Getting myself a new car next month as I've just started a job 30 miles away, so the Clio will be relieved of daily duties and eventually come off the road for winter and a small rebuild after seeing some of the silly clean Ph1 projects on here (you're all bad influences!).

Had a day with nothing to do yesterday so just gave it a quick decontamination with iron-x/ tardis/ clay, then single stage polish with Menzerna compound and finished with chemical guys wax.

A year of crap build up being removed:

2vj3695.jpg

All done:

2qdu9w3.jpg

Attachments

• 2qdu9w3.jpg
    2qdu9w3.jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 45

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Don't break it.

That will sell easy, there is a guy after a ph1 on here.

See this is my predicament, I've still not taken it to a bodyshop to have it repaired, so the wing is still a mis-match. The timing is out (well, I presume it is as I found tipex on the pulleys, although it doesn't feel any slower than my brother's cup), the wheels need refurbishing. Still think it's worth anything?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
See this is my predicament, I've still not taken it to a bodyshop to have it repaired, so the wing is still a mis-match. The timing is out (well, I presume it is as I found tipex on the pulleys, although it doesn't feel any slower than my brother's cup), the wheels need refurbishing. Still think it's worth anything?

Yes, it still looks like a great car.

Most PH1s need something or another doing, no such thing as a perfect PH1.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member

If I was in the market for a Ph1 172 it wouldn't put me off TBH.