ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 172 - Suspicious?

Volvo C30 R - T5
Having sold my 182 around 6 months ago due to the arrival of a company car I now have the itch to buy another Clio for weekend use. I've been scouting around for some Ph1's and have come across a slightly less than average example which I plan to get up to scratch over the winter months - the main attraction being that I've managed to confirm a very reasonable price for it.

There are some bodywork issues which I can pass across to my panel beating mate, a slight oil leak which can be taken care of and reams of receipts including Cambelt, Water pump, services etc. The only thing putting me off taking this car away this weekend is the fact that there is no V5 present. The guy is saying that he has sent it off due to a recent change in address. I have done a HPI check and all seems good.

Does anybody have any experience this?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Just put £100 deposit on it and tell him to call you when the V5 turns up?

If he never calls, you've only lost £100 as opposed to losing £1000 or whatever.

Think of this scenario...

The owner is on holiday, thief breaks into house and steals keys and car. Finds wads of paperwork in the glovebox and decides to sell the car, saying he's lost the V5.

Buyer HPI's it and its come up clear because the owner is downing c**ktails in Marbella and hasn't reported it stolen.

Owner comes back, reports it stolen, you lose your car AND your money, HPI won't honour the guarantee because it wasn't reported stolen at the time of check.

Fcuked.

It sounds far fetched but it happens. A lot.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Maybe call the DVLA and Police to see if the story stands up or if its been reported as stolen?

172 PH1
People do loose things sometimes, I'm a nightmare for it. If he's only sent it off for a change of address the logbook will be back with in 2 weeks.

Don't presume the worst. Just use your noggin.

Volvo C30 R - T5
Spoke with seller again this morning Re: V5 - he's reluctant to tell me when he is expecting the docs back from the DVLA and I cant be bothered to sit on hold to those guys for half an hour only for them to tell me they cant give me any info! What seemed like a good little winter project looks like more trouble than it's worth.

Cheers for advice all.

1.2 clio
I drove my old 106 gti away with no v5 it's just prove of owner ship. If your really concerned you have done a hpi that's all clear call up the dvla to see if the car really is his?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Yep, just ask for a written receipt from the guy... I do it with all my cars.

"I, joe bloggs sold this heap if s**t (registration X123ABC) to jason bloggs on 12.3.13 for the princely sum of £300"

If the seller cant write then produce your own and force him to scribe an "X" at tr bottom.

172 cup
I think the deposit idea is the best and safest. did the seller say he was willing to wait to the V5 arrives to sell it?

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
leave it. have u seen the flame red ph1 in the for sale section, low miles, looks pretty mint and a bargain £1000.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Theres loads of bargains to be had. Ive just paid £850 for this:

3ura4y2y.jpg

clio 182 cup
Ive sold and bought cars without v5s, if he has other paperwork for it and your collecting from his house and done all the checks then can't see the problem. Buy the car go to the post office apply for a v5 or wait to see if he gets it (3 weeks max). If he fails to send the v5 he'll get a fine for not sending it off if you have to apply as he hasnt sent it.

As said v5 doesnt prove you own it, if thats the case ive got a few old v5s lying around the house so id be going collecting lol