ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Petrol for V6

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

So I ran the 172 on Optimax. V6 book says 95 or 98 RON, but 98 "preferred". What are the rest of you running on?

Renault Laguna Coupe

V6 book says whaaaaat? Mine says 97! I usually stick any old supermarket rubbish in mine unless its a special occasion.

tiTTy & SV650

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 14 March 2005

V6 book says whaaaaat? Mine says 97! I usually stick any old supermarket rubbish in mine unless its a special occasion.
good on you, Im a religious 95RON user in my 182, frowned upon by many.

Skoda Fabia vRS

if you can afford a V6 you can afford to put proper petrol in it, run it on Optimax

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

95 or Sainsburys 97 in my Cup. 51,000 miles on still going strong... the day it needs race fuel I might consider upgrading to 98RON.... ;)

V

v6Max

I used to use Optimax and then I brought a data-logger to use on track-days. I can find absolutely no difference between Optimax, Sainsburys 97 or BP 95 to be honest in terms of performance. So the claim that Optimax is "performance enhancing" doesnt seem to hold true for my specific experience.

I get slightly better fuel economy with the Sainsburys stuff - but we are only talking about small amounts.

Optimax degrades as well - it leaves the refinery as 98 but the octane rating can and does reduce during storage.

The only thing that does seem to be true (according to the Evo tests) is its cleanliness.

well whatever you put in, it will only give you 250 miles max to a full tank, unless you cruise the motorway all day at 60mph.

Petrol shouldnt really degrade. Theres nothing in the mixture fore the hydrocarbons to react with. The only possibility i could think of is if small hydrocarbons (not good to burn anyway) join physically, not chemically to make larger hydrocrabons which actually give more enegergy when burnt.

98RON at the refinery should mean 98RON at the pump.

use Optimax where available, otherwise other "premium" grades (which are generally 97 RON rather than 98 of Optimax) - need to go to Germany and fill up on their 100 RON rocket fuel though !!!

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

Right ... I didnt buy the V6 to be miserly about petrol so Optimax it is.

Currently running on Sainsburys SUL since, despite the computer saying I had 60 miles to go, the fuel gauge was reading empty when I got it home yesterday.

Which leads to the next question ... what are the dynamics of the fuel gauge on the V6? Linear? Stays high for ever and then plummets like a stone? When it hits the bottom you can drive for 1 mile ... 20 miles?

Quote: Originally posted by specialK on 15 March 2005

use Optimax where available, otherwise other "premium" grades (which are generally 97 RON rather than 98 of Optimax) - need to go to Germany and fill up on their 100 RON rocket fuel though !!!

Kathy can you take a tanker with you and bring us all some back please? ;):D

Simon.

Andy - fuel guage - yes, stays reasonably sensible down to about 1/4 - then hits the bottom like a stone!!!

light comes on at about 40 (ish) and I have driven probably at least 20 once the light is on, but only in emergency - wouldnt like to say you definitely could !!!

Simon - hmmmm - I sense a business opportunity here .... :cool:

Went over 30 miles in the Mk1 vee with the fuel light on. Never had a chance in the Mk2 as I terminated its life too early!!

clio v6

optimax + millers octane booster... bout £ 4.50 per bottle does 2 tank fulls.

noticeable difference in power and better fuel consumption... pays for itself..

Forester Sti, SC Clio V6,

The standard ecu is mapped to run on slurry so I wouldnt worry to much!!!

Optimax and others make a slighlty bigger bang but will only really increase power with some ignition advance to take advantage.

Get a chip, go Optimax - otherwise buy more beer!

clio v6

Quote: Originally posted by Mike T on 15 March 2005

Optimax and others make a slighlty bigger bang but will only really increase power with some ignition advance to take advantage.

very true mike...lol mine is chipped!!

Quote: Originally posted by clarkiev6 on 15 March 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Mike T on 15 March 2005

very true mike...lol mine is chipped!!
was it worth spending like 500 quid for 4-6 bhp ?? then paying through the nose to run it on suff thatll make maybe 0.5% difference ?

clio v6

i gained 12 hp for £250 +vat.... i think it was abit pricey yes..

i like the better mid range torque i gained the most..

[Edited by clarkiev6 on 15 March 2005 at 11:06pm]

i gained 12 hp for £250 +vat.... i think it was abit pricey yes..

i like the better mid range torque i gained the most..

[Edited by clarkiev6 on 15 March 2005 at 11:06pm]
did it up the limiter ? seems as if there is a lot more at 7k but ECU is already cutting back fuel at that point .. sorry for the hijack

clio v6

thats ok mate... the most gain was at 6750 rpm... noticeable on the graph print out..

fully synthetic oil helped as well less friction . it was smoother at 7500 rpm.

E91 M Sport

fully synthetic oil helped as well less friction . it was smoother at 7500 rpm.
I thought the limiter was set to 7150 though?

Where did you get it chipped? Would you notice a big difference if you went back to standard, do you have any mods?

Quote: Originally posted by Andy D on 15 March 2005

Which leads to the next question ... what are the dynamics of the fuel gauge on the V6? Linear? Stays high for ever and then plummets like a stone? When it hits the bottom you can drive for 1 mile ... 20 miles?
As soon as i have left the petrol station the gauge starts going down, after 70 miles it is halfway. Get 280 miles out of a tank though

[Edited by Pinhead on 15 March 2005 at 11:20pm]

Quote: Originally posted by Pinhead on 15 March 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Andy D on 15 March 2005

when the needle hits zero .. there is still a comfortable 70 miles left in it .. but when the yellow light comes on ..make a bee line for some fuel .. reckon mine has got about 5 miles MAX when orange is on !!

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

The last bit really does drop like a stone :confused: Reckon I used the last sixth of the tank driving the 15 miles from Metallic Blacks ... was flatlined by the time I got home. However, no light on yet and computer is still saying 70 miles. Its about 10 miles until I can get to the Shell garage to fill up to the brim with Optimax.