ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

People who have retrofitted Xenons to a non FF 1*2....

Freetrack&Monaco 172
Guys (and gals) I'm looking to fit my Cup with standard Xenons from a FF 172/182.

I know I'll need the washer system and auto leveling to be legal, but I'd like to know exactly which parts I will need. I'm hoping someone can give me an idea of what is needed.

There is mention of a level sensor on the rear beam, what is this and how is it fitted? Do I have route the electrical connections i.e. to the xenon headlights themselves or an intermediatry box from this 'sensor'? Does my cup have it pre fitted but not connected?

Secondly, will my Cup washer bottle take the new feeds to the headlight washers (extra pump?) or will I need a complete setup from a FF 1*2? i.e. new washer bottle, washers and plumbing in between?

Any help would be great!

Cheers, Rob

SchwepTek™
I have done this, however, I only put fake washer jets in as it was a bit of a pain to mess about with for little gain and also I have heard that they leak alot.

As for the auto adjusters, again I just use the manual adjusters that came with my cup lights, however, if you find out how to wire up the auto-adjusters I'd be very interested.

172 cup'd extreme
A full fat 172 has a different bottle with 2 pumps which are controlled by 2 relays and the UCH. The level sensor sits on the rear beam and links to the motors via the UCH. Your cup wont have any of these connections or sensors on it, to get them all working your looking at a new UCH plus programming and part engine compartment wiring loom from a FF 172.
If you want the wiring diagram send me an email.

Da

Less
The auto adjuster mod has been done, I've seen it on here years ago.

Rob, this is the thread where I did the washer jet conversion to my 1.2 Clio.

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
If you can get a couple of complete units, they plug right in no problem. I currently have them on my Cup, and can adjust them individually using the adjuster on each headlamp, or both at the same time using the level controls underneath the steering wheel. I didn't have to mod anything to do any of this, just plug and play.

Come MOT, I'm going to chance it. If not, It's a half hour job to swap them over.

Freetrack&Monaco 172
If you can get a couple of complete units, they plug right in no problem. I currently have them on my Cup, and can adjust them individually using the adjuster on each headlamp, or both at the same time using the level controls underneath the steering wheel. I didn't have to mod anything to do any of this, just plug and play.

Come MOT, I'm going to chance it. If not, It's a half hour job to swap them over.

Hmm, seems like a hell of a lot of effort now I think about it, might just do this^ and not fit washers or autoleveling.......what do you guys reckon....worth the risk?

Thanks for all the help btw!

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
Yeah definitely! You don't need the other things. Just plug them in, and if you have a twitchy arse, remove them prior to your MOT. I can guarantee than 99% of people who have retrofitted xenons here have done the same.

The auto leveling is only really working when you have a load in the back (I have my xenons pointing low down anyway) and the washer system is a complete waste of time as they're bad for leaking and parts falling off. Just wash your car regularly, lol.

Ditto... same thing over here :D Just put 6000k bulbs in too.. look amazing.

BMW M135i
Don't worry about the leveling and washers just change them for the MOT if you don't want to chance it, you need a higher version of UCH to control the auto leveling or the washers (can't remember which) which your cup won't have so no point faffing with it. Couldn't do either without access to a clip computer anyway.

Ph1 172 + Combo van
IIRC Amy on here had a set fitted and they passed the mot fine with no washer jets or levelling.

LY 182
the uch are all the same you just need dealer level diagnostics to enable/disable things....

you would have to wire the level sensor direct to the uch and thats it.. as the leveling motors are already connected to the uch

same with the washer pump for them, except im fairly sure the wirings already there you just have to plug in an extra relay on top of the uch and again enable it in the uch...

although its not worth it

LY 182
bump as i wanna read this when not busy
press the favourite button??

and no it wouldn't be any easier to get hid's what so ever headlights still have to come out (unless you have baby hands) they look crap as you dont have projecter lenses and you still wouldnt have washers

Freetrack&Monaco 172
Bit chavvy compared to factory Xenons :)

Hence why I wanted to fit factory not HIDs......

I'll start hunting for a pair to fit then and if needed will put back my dual optics come MOT time next February.......may just leave them in when I send it to my friendly MOT station and see whether its a prob....

Will be interesting to hear how Dansta got on!

t3 corolla 116bhp
i got my MOT done a week or 2 ago and had xenons fitted to a non-rs. no problems whatsoever.

ok guys update...
Car failed MOT... BUT.... not due to Xenons... just a tyre.

So all is good... Xenon's passed. :D

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
My Cup passed with flying colours last Thursday, not even an advisory. No problems with Xenons :)

172 Race Car
Not read the thread, just scanned through to see if Dr Rollo from the full fat poilce had been in.

He hasnt. Looks like we got away with this one

Amy

UR R26, Hyundai IX35
IIRC Amy on here had a set fitted and they passed the mot fine with no washer jets or levelling.

Well done, Alex.
Just whacked in a set of xenons, they're levelled with my manual cup set up, MOT guys never said a word about them, they were spot on level and he didn't say anything about washers...i've got CC'd washer blanks.

fad

Clio 182 FF
Just read through some of this thread and was wondering why do you need the washer jets with the Xenons? I am thinking of blanking them off on my FF as they look cheap and nasty!

Amy

UR R26, Hyundai IX35
^^ My bf did this to his, mind you the proper renault blanks are neigh on £80.
They say that you have to have the washers if you've got xenons to pass your MOT, cause if they get dirty it distorts the light?
Mahdunno, b****cks tbh. My car's never dirty long enough and the headlights never are!

fad

Clio 182 FF
Cheers I take it thats Davey Jack? I remember his Corsa that was also very nice!

Will get a price for the blanking caps at my own risk lol!

Clio 182FF
@ Schweppy "I have heard that they leak alot."

Try leak ALL THE DAMN TIME!!!! My car crys :)

The washers are a pain in the arse!