ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pedal Potentiometer Track Circuit 2

Breaking A 172 Replica
Does it go anywhere near the fuse/relays on the right handside as you look at the 1.2 16v engine?

Thanks

Sam

I'm guessing it will go through the white connecter that is underneath the engine relay box. I've read your problem already it's maybe worth checking under the scuttle panel on the passenger side as there is a connecter there that takes the wiring into the car. When I was having problems I noticed quite a bit of water sat in there.

Breaking A 172 Replica
Right ok thanks mate I will check that.

Has any one got a wiring diagram for this?

If so that would be excellent. It is a CC.0 fault by the way which means there is a short circuit to earth somewhere.

Am I right in thinking this is consistent with TidyClios hypothesis that water may be the cause of the problem?

Cheers guys

Sam

Volvo S60 T5
Check the wiring to the pedal, check the wiring to the throttle body and also the wiring in the engine fuse box.
Oh and also the wiring connector on the bukhead.
Its also well worth checking the engine wiring loom especially new the ecu and the security cover cuts into the wires and shorts them out.

Breaking A 172 Replica
Thanks for that Mike.

Can you tell me exactly which fuse effects this circuit?

Anyone got a wiring diagram?

Does this circuit go from the pedal to the throttle body yes?

Thanks

Sam

Breaking A 172 Replica
Tried to book it into Renault. They are saying it will be 2 hours labour at a minimum which is over £100 for a shorted circuit!

Anyone got a wiring diagram? Anyone know which fuse/relay effects this circuit?

Cheers

Sam

172 cup'd extreme
12wire.JPG

This is usally the fault on the 1.2 16v pre 04 the metal surround isnt secure and it chaffs through the wires and creates a short.

Last edited:
  Breaking A 172 Replica
Right ok.

Would that affect the Pedal Potentiometer track circuit 2?

Thats what is showing up as being wrong...?

Thanks

Sam

The wiring diagram even if I were to post it woulnd't help there not that easy to use not as clear as they might hope to be.

As Jon said check that box just follow the lines from your pedal check for shorts in that fuse box under the bonnet and check the condition of all the earths you have.

Breaking A 172 Replica
I have spent a good few hours on it this afternoon stripping all the stuff around it away (windscreen wipers, various panels etc..)

The battery keeps going flat - I am guessing this is because there is a short somewhere? The fault came back as CC.0 which means it is earthing so could this be responsible (apologies, I am shite with electrics)?

There is no ECU box around the terminals Jon posted and the wires look fine.

There is a fair bit of oil around the fuse box area - this isn't a good enough conductor to course a short is it?

Thanks

Sam

I have spent a good few hours on it this afternoon stripping all the stuff around it away (windscreen wipers, various panels etc..)

The battery keeps going flat - I am guessing this is because there is a short somewhere? The fault came back as CC.0 which means it is earthing so could this be responsible (apologies, I am s**te with electrics)?

There is a fair bit of oil around the fuse box area - this isn't a good enough conductor to course a short is it?
You've got a short firstl ou need to find out where from if check the rear brake light but to me sound like somehting stronger as such draining all the power.

Breaking A 172 Replica
Right ok. It doesn't go instantly - takes about 48 hours for the battery to die.

For it to short to Earth surely a wire must be touching the metal of the car somewhere?

How would you go about trying to find where its draining from Edde?

Sam

Breaking A 172 Replica
Also...

Surely the short to earth MUST be in the pedal potentiometer track 2 circuit? Thus ruling out any chance of it being something like a brake light?

Sam

Da

Less
What draws you to the pedal circuit Sam?

*edit* just read the above posts...

Oil will not causer a short mate, it's an insulator not a conductor. Water is far more likely.

Breaking A 172 Replica
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=251095

I really need to know where the circuits whole route.

Do you think I am right in assuming that somewhere or other along the way there is a short to earth in THAT circuit?

What would a short to earth be? Must it be a live or neutral wire touching metal on the car? Or could it just be hitting a neutral from another circuit?

Anyones help will be massively appreciated.

Cheers

Sam

Da

Less
There's no 'neutrals' as such in a Clio's electrics Sam, it's a negative chassis, meaning that any points that require a 'neutral' are simply bolted to the cars framework. The -ve terminal of the battery is then connected directly to the chassis.

As for the short, it's likely to be something that's showing a trickle drain...can't really think what though. If there was a dead short it would probably take out the associated fuse.

Do you have a voltage meter?

Breaking A 172 Replica
Oh right ok I see now!

About 3 weeks ago I had a problem with the fuses/relays. They would click and only sometimes would the fuel pump prime etc...

I messed around with it for ages and saw one of the little fuses (little in size and it was a "10" or "15" (amp?)) smoke and get incredibly hot. It eventually melted itself and this would cause the car to not start quite often. As the problem I am having now happened straight after that they are probably linked? Only difference is the car wouldn't start back then, whereas it does now and back then the fuse got hot, whereas it doesn't now.

Thanks

Sam

Da

Less
Yes, they are almost definitely linked. Can you name the fuse in question or tell me what it controlled Sam?

Did the car turn over but not start or was it just dead with dash lights lit?

Breaking A 172 Replica
As you pick up the fuse board on the far right handside. It has "15" written on it. Can you find out what that controls from Dialogys?

Thanks Daz

Sam

Da

Less
Which fuse box Sam, the dash one or the one in the engine bay?

Yes I should be able to find out what it controls.

Da

Less
Not really no mate, found the pedal potetiometer but it's not really much help to be honest. Can't find DF126 anywhere! Nor can I find out what that fuse does it just lists the relays in there!

What were the symptoms of it not starting Sam?

Breaking A 172 Replica
The immoboliser wouldn't disarm when the relay/fuse boards were in a certain position. The relays would click as if there was a lose connection. Later found the fuse so assumed it was that as it had melted and the metal had turned molten making contact only in certain positions.

If you click on the link I applied earlier it says which faults came up.

Sometimes I hit the accelerator and nothing happens. Not sure if that is just to do with limp mode generally though?

Anyone got a wiring diagram so I can trace the wires behind the bulkhead?

Thanks

Sam

Da

Less
df125 refers to the ignition computer and it suggests checking the supplies and earths to it.

Just found df126... 2 mins and I'l lsee what it says.

Da

Less
It suggests changing the pedal sensor if the fault persists Sam.

INJECTION
Fault finding -Interpretation of faults 17
DF126 PRESENT OR STORED
PEDAL POTENTIOMETER TRACK 2 CIRCU
IT

CC.0 : Short circuit to earth
CC.1 : Short circuit to +12 V

NOTES
Priority in the event of a combination of faults:
–Deal first with faults DF219 Throttle potentiometer reference voltage and DF220
Pressure sensor reference voltage if they are present or stored.
Conditions for applying the fault finding strategy to the fault stored:
The fault is declared present after:
–switching on the ignition and pressing the accelerator pedal.
Special notes:
The accelerator pedal position sensor is located on the bulkhead below the brake servo.
There is no need to program no load and full load position recognition.
Check the connection and condition of the pedal potentiometer connector.
Change the connector if necessary.
Make sure that the accelerator pedal moves the potentiometer correctly (from the minimum end stop to the maximum end stop).
Connect the bornier in place of the computer and check the insulation,continuity and absence of
interference resistance of the connections:
Computer connector A track K1 Track 1 of the pedal potentiometer track 2
Computer connector A track F1 Track 3 of the pedal potentiometer track 2
Computer connector A track B4 Track 5 of the pedal potentiometer track 2
Repair if necessary.
Check for the presence of a 5 V supply on track 3 of the potentiometer.
If there is no supply,change the injection computer
AFTER REPAIR
Clear the fault memory.
Follow the instructions to confirm repair.
Deal with any other possible faults.

Hope this is of some help mate :)

Last edited:
  Breaking A 172 Replica
Where exactly is the ignition computer based?

The car has always been bad in the wet (often goes into limp mode) but this could be rectified by sticking my foot to the floor and reigniting the engine whilst in motion, but would go limp the next time I took my foot of the gas).

A few months ago a Renault Technician cleaned the terminals that Jon posted a pic of and said there was excess silicone in there. Checked that but all looks well and good.

Thanks

Sam

P.S. its weird DF126 doesn't show?

Breaking A 172 Replica
Ok.

I am going to swap my pedal on this car with my pedal on the other car. I guess the pedal sensor is in the pedal assembly?

Thanks

Breaking A 172 Replica
Right ok.

How big is it? Is it a simple unscrew and remove electrical connection or do I have to bleed the brakes etc?

Cheers

Sam

Da

Less
I have no idea tbh, but from reading the description above, as it's a sensor it will be purely electrical and will have nothing to with the brake servo.