ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

[PC] Legend of Grimrock II

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I've put over a dozen hours into this old-skool dungeon-crawler already - and it's much, much better than its predecessor.

The first game, imo - was too difficult for the sake of it. Some of the puzzles were so difficult as to be totally abstract and bizarre - that it made progress tiresome and actually quite boring. As all good sequels should do - they improve on the original concept - adding more content and gameplay to the overall package.

That's not to say that LoG2 is a pushover. Newcomers to the genre might be put off with how brutal the game can be at times. You start the game with four washed-up prisoners on a beach and you have a stick as your sole piece of equipment. That's it. Nothing else.

What it does offer (and brilliantly, imo) is the situation where a point in the game is a little too difficult - which you can leave, complete another area of the map - and then come back to. It's done in such a way that is very reminiscent of the old Amiga RPG type games and I can fully believe that the developers wanted to capture that essence of FTL's Dungeon Master as best they could.

The screenshots don't really do the game much justice - it's actually beautiful to look at in a pseudo 3D way. And while movement is restricted to the four directions and strafing - the mouse can be used to look in full 360 view.

2014-10-31_00002_zps16fdccc3.jpg

2014-11-01_00001_zps8927a5bf.jpg

2014-11-01_00003_zps06d77edd.jpg

2014-11-01_00002_zps3c7e268a.jpg

If you're after an RPG with more substance to it than shiny appearance (Skyrim - I'm pointing at you here) - then LoG2 is a great alternative. It's something you can pickup - have a quick 20mins on and then save. Alternatively, you can put hours into it at anyone time. It's rewarding and egg's you on to just get that Heavy Weapon skill increased by one point - or clear out that cellar of zombies to reach the treasure at the back.

Definitely recommended.....

Last edited:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Interesting... and you mentioned FTL's Dungeon Master. That's no bad thing at all.

It's well worth it Andy - if you notice the wizard dude that I have in the lower left corner has the spell runes open. You can click on them to make different combinations of spells (like in Dungeon Master) and similarly, you can mix ingredients to make potions. The only think that's slightly different to DM in that respect, is that you don't have to be lugging empty glass vials around with you to create the potion. :smile:

There's also a food aspect in it - just like DM - where constant action or casting spells will deteriorate your food 'level'. It's not that much an issue though as food is plentiful - even jumping into a river lets you click on fish that swim by.

D.

Nothing at the mo :(
I've seen you playing this on Steam Darren for a while and always thought about getting it. Might see how much it is and buy it

Evo 5 RS
Mate. I bought the original and gave up on level 3. Could have looked on the Tube but would rather have put bleach in my eyes, and played something else instead lol

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Mate. I bought the original and gave up on level 3. Could have looked on the Tube but would rather have put bleach in my eyes, and played something else instead lol
It's really tricky at times - frustratingly so. I'm totally stuck at a point that I'm currently saved at but I'm reluctant to Google the answers.

The second game is a massive improvement over the first. There are sections of proper genius in this game, very reminiscent of the feelings I had with the classic Dungeon Master (as mentioned) but also of the Ultima Underworld games.

If they make a third instalment, I hope they retain the pseudo-2D view. It really adds to the retro feel of the game.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I put a few hours into this last night as I decided to have a night off :) It's really enjoyable. And yes, it's tough! I wish there were more inventory slots available though; I'm reluctant to drop anything in case I decide it might be useful later on. I'll need to designate areas of maps as storage / cache areas. I think I've made the job more difficult by creating my own heroes and not really giving much thought to their stats / abilities! :tonguewink:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I put a few hours into this last night as I decided to have a night off :smile: It's really enjoyable. And yes, it's tough! I wish there were more inventory slots available though; I'm reluctant to drop anything in case I decide it might be useful later on. I'll need to designate areas of maps as storage / cache areas. I think I've made the job more difficult by creating my own heroes and not really giving much thought to their stats / abilities! :tonguewink:

Very tough. At times you can't see the answer when it's staring you right in the face!

The hero selection is a tricky one - but I love the fact that you can create four completely distinct characters that all have their own pros and cons. Have you got to the 'frog' section yet where they can take your weapons off you with their tongues!? b******s they are....

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Have you got to the 'frog' section yet where they can take your weapons off you with their tongues!? b******s they are....
No mate - I've not come across any 'frogs' yet. I've just completed Meditation Spire and the area around there; which took me AGES as my characters are only around Level 5 and the floating ice elemental things (and green blob things) could literally wipe my entire group out with a few hits! It took a lot of patience and moving around whilst trying not to get pinned into corners and dead-ends! I got there eventually though :) I'm actually being quite... sad / slow... about the way I play the game. I'm literally scanning every single wall as I go along in case there are any hidden switches! Progress may be slow... :tonguewink:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Aaaargh, this game is brutal at times! I seem to have run into my first "oh heck, what now" moment. In the cemetery the groups of zombies are lethal in packs and Herder's Den... jeez, not sure how on earth I'm going to get through that yet! I decided to have a couple of hours on it last night when the missus had gone to bed and the next thing I know it's 4am. Oops.