ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Passat 170 Sport TDI vs clio 182

VW Passat 170 sport
anyone fancie a go , Just had it chipped to 205bhp but i reckon the 182 would leave me due to weight but it would be interesting.. anyone had a go with a german diesel?

Nothing in it tbh.

I was in my Seat Leon which was stage 1 and rolled 205bhp/301lbft

Not sure if its a 172 or a 182...didn't see the back of it ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
  320d
anyone fancie a go , Just had it chipped to 205bhp but i reckon the 182 would leave me due to weight but it would be interesting.. anyone had a go with a german diesel?

LOL at offering people drag races in a diesel Passat. I'd stick to the school run mate.

53 Clio's & counting
If it helps this is a standard 170 Passat.

th_MOV00581.jpg

RS 182 CUP
clios arent built to drag race, a clio will do you on decent roads and annihilate you on track

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Those Passats are blooming quick, kept up with me some parts of the windy roads down in the SW

Dodgy one
My neighbour tried it on yesterday on the way into town up the dual carriageway. His is a standard 170 highline, i just kept pulling away from him, they are quick ive drove a few 170s they have anice kick but its not nice enough lol

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Any modern diesel with a chip once rolling seems to be pretty hard to get past in the Clio. Any VAG with a 2.0 TDI engine seems rapido. Some girl at work just has a 2.0 TDI A3 and from 60 I think it would pull on the Clio as it gets to 100 seemlessly. It's also annoying that they do it from such low revs meaning you always get caught out in the real world too.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Any modern diesel with a chip once rolling seems to be pretty hard to get past in the Clio. Any VAG with a 2.0 TDI engine seems rapido. Some girl at work just has a 2.0 TDI A3 and from 60 I think it would pull on the Clio as it gets to 100 seemlessly. It's also annoying that they do it from such low revs meaning you always get caught out in the real world too.

Two boys in my work have them, from a fairly empty dual carriageway, neither of them can pass me (182)

Ones a black edition thing, the same engine i presume, much to their annoyance.

Remapped diesels are brilliant good Mpg, Bhp, and loads of torque.

That clio in the FR vid did not get a great start.

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
having done 20k in a mapped 215bhp 343lbft Meg RS i can honestly say that 'performance' diesels will never ever eclipse petrols regardless of maps, chips etc.

The driving experience just isnt there and the pig iron nose will always cause handling issues.

focus st3
clio 182 with rs192 exhaust and 57i filter vs boyfriends golf gttdi 170 bhp 300 lb torque remapped. standing start the clio is faster, as it may have less torque but is hell of alot lighter rolling start the golf leaves it until the clio gets into its high rev range then reels it in.problem with diesel remapping is getting the power down to the ground. where as the clio always grips and goes, the golf likes lighting up the tyres if you launch it.Add a couple of corners into the equation cos no one in the real races in straight lines then see what the score is

thanks Pete for the above......................but I want to win!!!!!! :( my car is more shiny..........and looks better cos i'm in it lol

182 trophy
have had a go with an audi a3 s-line 2.0 tdi on the dual cabbage way, he started in front and i managed to pull past at a fairly steady rate. quite fast cars though.

Clio 172 RS2
"Ask any racer. Any real racer. It don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning's winning."

Fast Five due up soon!

Do it Fast... do it Furious! ;)

RS 182 CUP
raced a mates mapped 1.9 tdi golf the other day, was all over him, thought itd be quicker tbh

clio v6 ph1 230
anyone tried to chase one on say an over taking manouvre. i.e sitting behind a lorry doing 40 upto to say 70. soo much torque with the oil burner.

320d
The 170 is a good engine to be fair. My mates got a golf gtd with it in, pulls well with the dsg box keeping it in the boil.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Can't imagine the engine to be that fast in such a big car, pulls well in my dads Scirocco though so maybe.

A Clio 182 couldn't keep up with my dads Alfa 159 Diesel (2.4 JTDM 210bhp). Especially top end. That was on a dual carriageway though.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
fast diesels are a good laugh for 10 minutes then the novalty wears off and you just sit in 6th and get good MPG! i was coming home from knockhill the other day in mine and was carrying massive speed through the twisty roads, in a 172 id be havving a hoot, but i didnt even get remotely excited in the diesel! as chic said the driving experiance will never be as good as a petrol!

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I had a 140 as a hire car. It wasn't very good.

Where the 170 Leon would hit 115, the 140 struggled to hit 90. Diffferent kettle of fash.

Struggled to hit 90MPH in a 140TDI? There are three possibilities here:

1. The car was fucked
2. It wasn't a 140
3. You're lying

I have a 140 and it reaches 90 with ease and continues to pull all the way to top end without much effort.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
As above, my mate had a 140 Jetta and we took it to 1.2 leptons with ease.

I can't imagine it being able to keep with a ClioSport though, my old 1.8 Astra used to leave it!

Think you guys picked that up wrong.

Over a set distance from point A to point B the 170 would hit 115 and the 140 would be at 90.

182 FF
Ive got a golf mk4 gt tdi 150 remapped to 190 bhp as well as the clio and i wouldn t have thought there s much between them in a straight line, the golf has effortless power and is suprisingly good off the mark but the clio is the more fun car to drive!