ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ownership of my 197 so far

Black 197
Ok so a week or so ago i posted a thread in regards to test driving a 197 and initially at first i was not impressed with the 197 and was going to keep my 182 but That evening i could not get the 197 test drive out of my head so the following day me and a fellow member HAS took the same car out again. Well the car felt much better for some reason and so on arrival back at the dealer i signed the dotted line and purchased the car.

There were mixed opinions when i posted the drive some saying the 172/182 is better, faster blah blah, to me the 172/182 was so boring that i didnt enjoy driving it no more and waiting for that 5k kick just to get moving was frustrating and expensive, The 197 i have however is spot on no flat spots as some mention and has a nice power curve and even at 5k and beyond it pulls nicely, The 197 gearbox is absolutely fantastic and makes shifting a pleasure, the exhaust note is spot on too - no need for a halfrauds special to make it look better and sound nicer, I personally didnt get climate control with my 197 but i never used it anyways in the 182 so AC will suffice, Some buy CC for that fancy screen but to me its just a gimick - cant beat warm air / cold air or window down job done and less likely something will go wrong. I'm not worried about future resale as this car will have to do me a while anyway....

I think 197GAZ said to me " A couple of weeks and your 182 will be a distant memory " - He couldnt of put it better tbh, I dont even think about my 182 and even yesterday going to the dealer to collect my CS membership card as left it in the old car i saw it and knew i had made the right choice...

People say the 197 doesnt feel as quick as a 172/182 but thats due to it being bigger but it is make no mistake.... All this i raced a 197 and raped it - 1 word " Boll*cks " is all i have to say on that... A standard 172/182 is not going to rape a standard 197 i've owned both now and i cant see it happening tbh..

The 197 is built so much better too, from the interior to the ride to the braking to the power delivery its got it all.... Sure there are plenty of 197 haters out there that think the 172/182 is the best thing since sliced bread but i wished i'd chopped my 182 in years ago.. I'm not saying the 1*2's are sh*t cars coz there not but the 197 is leagues ahead imo...

So some people asked for me to write something up to compare both cars and there you have it, Comment as you feel if you agree or not is up to you..

197 is win to me
everybody has an opinion and should express it

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
pics?

I like the write up, although if i spent £10,000 plus on a new car I would argue it was better in everyway too :)

I think for £4000 the 172/182 is a very capable and solid car and well worth the money.... given the choice I would buy the 197 for the new factor, but I dont think I could ever say the 197 is better bang for buck.

Turbo LY R27
Well said mate, i felt the same when i got my R27! Drove a 182 again and it was ok, but was much happier when i got back in the R.

I still am really impressed at the performance of it a year and a half down the line, i never felt anywhere near the same in my 182.

just wait till you get some miles on. i bought mine at 6k.

it now has 11k and feels soooooooooooooooooo much more lively, its crazy but it picks up better to start, and revs quicker too, probably sounds bull to people but it honestly feels that way.

Turbo LY R27
just wait till you get some miles on. i bought mine at 6k.

it now has 11k and feels soooooooooooooooooo much more lively, its crazy but it picks up better to start, and revs quicker too, probably sounds bull to people but it honestly feels that way.

Mate wait till it gets to 31k!! Weapon!!

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
lol was just about to say that... i am on 32.5k now...

Black 197
Aww mines a baby still at 10,060 miles... I fuc*ing love my car though, The difference its massive from my 182 - feels so solid and mechanically sound, My 182 always felt like something was gonna go wrong, I think i've made a wise choice tbh

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i sat with the cruise control on the m20 last monday at 68/70 and the computer said i was getting about 36.5 mpg...

it got a bit better from when it was brand new but tbh if it is just driven it will do high 20's.

it all depends how you drive it rally.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
to me the 172/182 was so boring that i didnt enjoy driving it no more and waiting for that 5k kick just to get moving was frustrating and expensive

I think 197GAZ said to me " A couple of weeks and your 182 will be a distant memory " - He couldnt of put it better tbh, I dont even think about my 182 and even yesterday going to the dealer to collect my CS membership card as left it in the old car i saw it and knew i had made the right choice...

People say the 197 doesnt feel as quick as a 172/182 but thats due to it being bigger but it is make no mistake.... All this i raced a 197 and raped it - 1 word " Boll*cks " is all i have to say on that... A standard 172/182 is not going to rape a standard 197 i've owned both now and i cant see it happening tbh..

Im always very curious of how people react to getting a 197 after being a 172/182 owner. The 5k kick for instance? You hardly have to wait to get it to move. Call me old fashioned (because i own a Phase 1) But there are no flatspots to speak of is there?

Its a 1998cc petrol that weighs little over a tonne. There should be no complaint about a delay in power. There is no turb-lag, there is no V-tec etc

They dont rev like motrbikes. There hot-hatches.

Also, as for the 197 being slower/faster no one can say for sure. But like you said, the 197 is bigger (160kg's heavier than a 182). Its no M3 in comparisson is it?

Black 197
Im always very curious of how people react to getting a 197 after being a 172/182 owner. The 5k kick for instance? You hardly have to wait to get it to move. Call me old fashioned (because i own a Phase 1) But there are no flatspots to speak of is there?

Its a 1998cc petrol that weighs little over a tonne. There should be no complaint about a delay in power. There is no turb-lag, there is no V-tec etc

They dont rev like motrbikes. There hot-hatches.

Also, as for the 197 being slower/faster no one can say for sure. But like you said, the 197 is bigger (160kg's heavier than a 182). Its no M3 in comparisson is it?

Nobody said it was m3 performance just having owned my 182 for 3 yrs and now my 197 i can safetly say that the 197 pulls smoother and better than my 182, Im not disputing the 172/182 at all infact i loved my 182 but like many 197 owners im sure they'll agree that the 197 is a better car in every way shape and form, There are no flat spots in the 172/182 but for real pull you got to wait for that 5k kick where as my 197 feels eager from the get go - have you driven a 197 for a taste of what it offers ??

Clio 182FF
I did toy with the idea of getting a 197 from new before I got my 182 a month back and I bet they do feel great to drive. For me I just really liked the whole MK2 shape which was a huge tipping point for me. However, if I would buy a brand new car at this very moment it would no doubt be a 197.

Black 197
I did toy with the idea of getting a 197 from new before I got my 182 a month back and I bet they do feel great to drive. For me I just really liked the whole MK2 shape which was a huge tipping point for me. However, if I would buy a brand new car at this very moment it would no doubt be a 197.

+1 on the looks at first... I hated the look of the 197 when it first came out and when looking at my 04 182 i always thought thats one day good looking car but since owning my 197 i have added the cup spoiler and from the back it looks the nuts, Love the diffuser

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Nobody said it was m3 performance just having owned my 182 for 3 yrs and now my 197 i can safetly say that the 197 pulls smoother and better than my 182, Im not disputing the 172/182 at all infact i loved my 182 but like many 197 owners im sure they'll agree that the 197 is a better car in every way shape and form, There are no flat spots in the 172/182 but for real pull you got to wait for that 5k kick where as my 197 feels eager from the get go - have you driven a 197 for a taste of what it offers ??

Two infact mate, very good cars, really enjoyed it.

The button start/keyless entry is very novel. I drove an older 06 plate one then a 57' plate one with some of the revisions with regard to the gearbox iirc?

We managed to get the 197 for almost 3 hours without the burden of a salesman blubbering shite in your ear so it was intresting to compare.

Without doubt it feels very nice inside and very planted with maybe not as much roll through the bends as a 1*2. The seating position is improved aswell, as for performance id say there pretty evenly matched. Im actually confident to say that if you put them both (My 172) and a 197 on a track there would be very little in it due to the weight deficit and the fact it has only 25bhp to compensate. Im just speculating but i do think theres nothing in it.

Its all about what you prefer, as they say life would be boring if we all liked the same things?

Good purchase btw ;)

Clio 182FF
+1 on the looks at first... I hated the look of the 197 when it first came out and when looking at my 04 182 i always thought thats one day good looking car but since owning my 197 i have added the cup spoiler and from the back it looks the nuts, Love the diffuser

I have to say that the 197 looks have grown on me and I too love the diffuser. I also like those little ventey bits on the front wing. Maybe after I have finished my love affair with the 182 I'll be taking Miss. 197 to bed. MMMMmmmmmmMMMMmmmmmmnnnnhhh!!! :eek:

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Still not a massive fan on the looks of a 197 and the new face lift is still as controversal. Can't comment on how they drive as never driven one.

I will say one thing and that is they are QUICKER round a track than ANY 1*2. 197's rape on handling and brakes, and this is from a personal experience of chasing 197's and R27's in my ph1 172.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i really really want one only thing is my car is only really a weekend car for going out blasts with the boys in the summer and it spends most of its time in tripple figures speeds chasing other cars so the front end takes a hammering, tyres and brakes are constantly needing replaced and im not sure i can have as much fun getting my new car all stone chipped and replacing 17" tyres and brembo brakes! lol

Clio 197 08
AC will suffice, Some buy CC for that fancy screen but to me its just a gimick

Nice write up mate. Do believe i have heard these words before somewhere though! ;)
Really glad your enjoying the 197. Have had mine a year now and it still always puts a smile on my face.

Black Ph2 172
Saw a silver 197 today and just was not impressed. Straight line performance nothing in it but obviously the 197 is better built....but does that really justify the £6k extra....no. If I was spending £10k I'd buy an R32 or S3.

Black 197
Dude im going through petrol likes its going out of fashion ! Defo jucier than the 182, MPG is giving me 21.7 to the gal ! Shocking tbh but its all good fun

Very good write up mate. Having owned a 182 and just purchaed a 197 myself I must agree with all your comments! :approve:

Clio 197 08
Dude im going through petrol likes its going out of fashion ! Defo jucier than the 182, MPG is giving me 21.7 to the gal ! Shocking tbh but its all good fun

Thats a shocking MPG and your telling me you still havent even seen the shift light yet? I dont believe :rasp:

Black 197
yeah i am mate, 182 was used to go work and thats it, im itching tro go out in my 197 but have no place to go lol, Oh well saving petrol i spose... Any more knife threats today pmsl ???

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
197 is a much better car, FACT.

The brakes, the suspension, the build.... Its all better than the 182.

Clio 197 08
Lol, well you have definately got to come down this way sometime mate and i will show you what i get to enjoy! You will have to find your shift light mind!