ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Orange price rise

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Prices go up, it's called inflation, deal with it and if you don't like it cancel your contract, and if you get a massive charge for cancelling before the contract end-date then read terms & conditions before you take out any future contracts.

IMO :p

Clio 182
Who remembers the days when you would phone up to renew your contract and they would recognise your 5 years+ of loyalty and knock so much off your bill and give you one of the latest phones for free!

Now they couldnt really care if you stay or go, alot of it is to blame on the phone manufacturers though, not allowing discounts on there products.

Focus ST-3
Has anyone had a letter through the post to say your monthly bill has gone up?
Surely they cant do this out of the blue? I agreed to pay a set monthly fee over 2 years and no more...

Is it worth a moan? Or do i just accept it?

My colleague rang up querying it because he went on the website and noticed a new customer could take a new contract with more rewards for less money.. They then transferred him onto that contract maintaining his current term. So he now gets more for less money.

You don't ask, you don't get.

Clio 182
My colleague rang up querying it because he went on the website and noticed a new customer could take a new contract with more rewards for less money.. They then transferred him onto that contract maintaining his current term. So he now gets more for less money.

You don't ask, you don't get.

This is exactly why i posted this thread!! I hear too often about these sorts of things happening and 99% of us arent in the know!

If i was a new customer i know i could get more minutes/texts/data for my money.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Mine went up £1 something. Just phoned them and complained being a grumpy old git. They've reduced my tariff by a tenner a month. Result. In theory this letter has saved me money as I wasnt going to call before.

jakeg

ClioSport Club Member
  Rs Clio 172
Prices go up, it's called inflation, deal with it and if you don't like it cancel your contract, and if you get a massive charge for cancelling before the contract end-date then read terms & conditions before you take out any future contracts.

IMO :p

should they not account for inflation and any other external factors before they give you a price, with the worsening economy many of us have less disposable income, does that mean we can reduce what we pay? Yes it's all in the terms and conditions but who actually reads them?

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
should they not account for inflation and any other external factors before they give you a price, with the worsening economy many of us have less disposable income, does that mean we can reduce what we pay? Yes it's all in the terms and conditions but who actually reads them?

Its like 80p-£1 not double in price.

jakeg

ClioSport Club Member
  Rs Clio 172
Its like 80p-£1 not double in price.

True, still annoying, seem to remember them doing this at the beginning of this, or end of my last contract with them, is inflation a new idea to them?

DB.

BMW 440i

No, because if they only applied the prices to new contracts, then those people who keep contracts for 10 years, will be paying peanuts, so they need to rise them all, inline with inflation.

It's completely fair in my opinion and not worth the uproar.

The fact someone doesn't read terms and conditions is also not their problem, that's yours.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Is inflation a new idea to them?

When would you suggest they do it then?

Hypothetical scenario:
15th June - Orange puts up their standard tariff from £10 per month to £12 per month.

A customer who takes out tariff on 14th June gets a better deal than the customer who takes out deal on 16th June, but for the same identical package. That's not a good way to treat customers, nor is it a good way to do business.

Make more money by putting up the cost on 15th June for both new customers as well as existing customers. Much more fair (and profitable).

jakeg

ClioSport Club Member
  Rs Clio 172
If I have an increase of 3/4% when renewing my contract that's completely fine, that's understandable inflation, but the company telling me that 2 years on a phone contract will cost £x amount per month, then halfway through saying actually its going to cost you £x + 3% is bad for the customer,
It's probably obvious I'm no business expert but I am a customer who feels ripped off by orange, add price increases to dodgy signal, no real benefits for loyal customers, and poor benefits for existing customers (orange Wednesdays are the only thing close to a benefit offered)
i can't be the only one who thinks this is poor?

Bumder With A Buffer
No I think its poor too.

Maybe if they hadn't of wasted millions on Kevin Bacon we wouldn't have to pay this extra "£1" to pay for his "services".

I think its just the principle.

I sign upto to a contract for xx amount per month for and expect to pay that for the duration of my contract. Personally my contract has gone up %10 since taking it out 2 years ago and thats not on. I've never had a phone contract increase in all my years of owning a phone its always been 20-25 or 30 per month and thats all i've paid for the duration of the contract. I am aware its "just £3" that bills might increase but if I saw a contract that was £30 or one that was £33 I know which one I would go for.

jakeg

ClioSport Club Member
  Rs Clio 172
No I think its poor too.

Maybe if they hadn't of wasted millions on Kevin Bacon we wouldn't have to pay this extra "£1" to pay for his "services".

I think its just the principle.

I sign upto to a contract for xx amount per month for and expect to pay that for the duration of my contract. Personally my contract has gone up  since taking it out 2 years ago and thats not on. I've never had a phone contract increase in all my years of owning a phone its always been 20-25 or 30 per month and thats all i've paid for the duration of the contract. I am aware its "just £3" that bills might increase but if I saw a contract that was £30 or one that was £33 I know which one I would go for.

was starting to think it was just me lol, the Kevin bacon adverts aren't even any good

DB.

BMW 440i
No I think its poor too.

I sign upto to a contract for xx amount per month for and expect to pay that for the duration of my contract. Personally my contract has gone up  since taking it out 2 years ago and thats not on. I've never had a phone contract increase in all my years of owning a phone its always been 20-25 or 30 per month and thats all i've paid for the duration of the contract. I am aware its "just £3" that bills might increase but if I saw a contract that was £30 or one that was £33 I know which one I would go for.

So if you just kept this contract rolling, for say 10 years and just bought handsets and kept the deal going, how would they increase the price to reflect inflation?

jakeg

ClioSport Club Member
  Rs Clio 172
So if you just kept this contract rolling, for say 10 years and just bought handsets and kept the deal going, how would they increase the price to reflect inflation?

May be wrong but not sure it can be done like that, I.e contracts rolling, you take out a contract and it ends, you take out another contract, maybe the same package with any price Increases on it.

To be honest, it is getting cheaper for them to run their networks. Mobile companies rake in a s**t load of money. They've most likely paid of all of their operating hardware etc.

DB.

BMW 440i
Yes, but there prices over all their contracts will be supporting it. Did you think they spent the millions they did on the 4G network through projected figures of the 4G contracts? It has to come from everywhere.

Yes, but there prices over all their contracts will be supporting it. Did you think they spent the millions they did on the 4G network through projected figures of the 4G contracts? It has to come from everywhere.

Pretty sure they would have been saving up for years to do it matey. Money has got to come from everywhere yes but they make loads and I don't really think the need to bump 3G customers tarrifs up to do this, and it also isn't fair on those customers.

DB.

BMW 440i
It's because of inflation, so going by their word, this increase is to simply cover that.

My comment was referring to the fact that they won't 'have paid off all their operating hardware'. I've worked in finance in a huge company pal (Roll's Royce, where we regularly had £60m projects being started etc), I know how it works. They don't just put huge saving pots towards future projects, it's all budgeting, forecasting and projected figures. Not only that, they still have increasing rent rates, utilities, wages etc, etc, etc, which are going up with inflation, just like the contracts.

jakeg

ClioSport Club Member
  Rs Clio 172
It's because of inflation, so going by their word, this increase is to simply cover that.

My comment was referring to the fact that they won't 'have paid off all their operating hardware'. I've worked in finance in a huge company pal (Roll's Royce, where we regularly had £60m projects being started etc), I know how it works. They don't just put huge saving pots towards future projects, it's all budgeting, forecasting and projected figures. Not only that, they still have increasing rent rates, utilities, wages etc, etc, etc, which are going up with inflation, just like the contracts.

but surely when rolls Royce bid for a contract they give a set price to the customer including any possible inflation rise? From the 4g point, would Renault have charged an extra 1/2k for every 197 soldto go towards the design and building of the Clio 4?

DB.

BMW 440i
Prices often change within small margins and are always accepted. Unless part A suddenly went from say, £10,000 to £20,000, then it would generally be accepted.

Even prices on longstanding contracts (parts needed to build parts on an ongoing basis), they go up marginally with inflation, cost increases etc, and are accepted unless they are going up by silly %'s each year.

jakeg

ClioSport Club Member
  Rs Clio 172
Prices often change within small margins and are always accepted. Unless part A suddenly went from say, £10,000 to £20,000, then it would generally be accepted.

Even prices on longstanding contracts (parts needed to build parts on an ongoing basis), they go up marginally with inflation, cost increases etc, and are accepted unless they are going up by silly %'s each year.

maybe multi million pound business deals and phone contracts are easily comparable but point taken lol prices are going up regardless so ill stop moaning about it for now..

Bumder With A Buffer

I never keep the contract rolling I always get another 2 year or 18 month contract at the end.

I can safely say I have never got as phone contract that has been a random amount such as 33.29. Its always been 26 or 40 or 28.50 etc. What a random amount.

I don't care that its gone up I understand why it does. That doesn't mean I don't have to like I have a choice. And my choice is to cancel end of the month when my contract is up.

Bring back some decent tariffs and I may go back onto contract but until then £12 a month for the same 32 or 41 a month on contract is crap for my liking. I suspect as lot of people will be leaving orange anyway as their range of phones are rubbish for upgrades now.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Got my letter through, increase of 1.47 :(. Rang up about something else and they said have you heard about the new plan you can go on? Basically unlimited everything, 5gb of data and the bonus of no increase in contract, winner. Contract before was unlimited everything and 3gb of data.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
I never got told about that :( Seems like an odd move by them financially though.