ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oh Dear... 25 Point Check

R.I.P Clio
Yo Guys,

Just got back from Renault having my bonnet clip replaced... phew...
They also did a 25 point check (it was all free thank god)

But...

It turns out that my n/s/f and o/s/r Suspension Springs are Broken :(

Also when i bought the car, I replaced the two front tires and apparently the new fronts are size 7 and the rears are size 3?! Why would the tire place make that mistake?!

It also says on the sheet...

The o/s/r wheel bearing is worn to excess (but i new bout that!)
Both ball joints are worn
Road Spring Blue/Red (What does that mean?!)

Ive got a proper service this afternoon so ill take the sheet with me...

Im just wondering how much do you guys think new springs would be?

Ive already debated on jus buying a full suspension kit to lower it since the springs need doing anyways, but ive decided against doing anything to the car now :( im jus gonna save up for a better car!

I also went into halfords to speak to a mate about suspension and when he put my reg into the halfords system it came up as a 1.6 8v whereas on moneysupermarket.com my reg showed a 1.6 16v!? so i may be paying 8 valves extra insurance grrr

Cheers

Ian

Focus TDCi
Is it an Si or an RSi Pigeon? The Si is 8v, the RSi 16v. I think the majority of 1.6's come fooked as standard due to them being the perfect sized engine for boy racers who can't afford 2 litres.

Edit: Just seen you are a fellow Si owner, it'll be 8v then.

R.I.P Clio
Is it an Si or an RSi Pigeon? The Si is 8v, the RSi 16v. I think the majority of 1.6's come fooked as standard due to them being the perfect sized engine for boy racers who can't afford 2 litres.

Edit: Just seen you are a fellow Si owner, it'll be 8v then.
Aha cheers boss!!

After getting myself another quote on moneysupermarket.com it turns out it didnt actually say how many valves are on the car it jus says 1600 cc so ill jus leave it. Im sure as long as im insured on my reg it will be the correct one!? lol

So any ideas on replacement suspension?! Prices!?

(BTW Cya on the 8th Ian! If its not completely funked lol ;))

<--- Car info edited appropriately haha

Ian

Focus TDCi
Ha, don't worry mine's a bit crippled at the moment as well. The headlights decided to stop working last week and the interior handles disintegrated along with the seat sliders stopping working. I put all of this down to my brother though.

Like you say as long as it's insured it should be ok. Thinking about it both Tesco and Renault can never even find mine on their systems, so you've managed to go one better!

Erm, springs. A set of Eibachs will cost around £130. Now I assume you're after standard springs and I don't know how much they cost. Can't imagine it will be a lot, however if it is then it might be worth replacing them all with the Eibachs anyway. I got a set for £85 second hand and depending on who you are with it shouldn't be too much to insure them (unless it's Tesco/ Direct Line!)

Oh and a new bearing fitted could be up to about £70.

R.I.P Clio
Ah right fair play

Ive got a full servie this afternnon an he said bearing will be bout £45 :)

I was originally thinking considering the springs need replacing anyways to lower the car, but id want to do it on a full suspension kit cos jus gettin lower springs putting more pressure on the stock shocks etc therefore more likely to sh*g em, leading to more cost anyways, but the cheapest full kit at halfords was Weitec at £311... so tbh im jus gonna leave it, get some stock springs, save up an beast out ma next car!

Titanium 182
springs arent that expensive from renault IIRC,

both front springs come to £40 I think but fitting will be a lot more so do it yourself.

R.I.P Clio
springs arent that expensive from renault IIRC,

both front springs come to £40 I think but fitting will be a lot more so do it yourself.
ah right cool cheers mate

i wont be doing it myself tbh got nay chance of that, ill get it done tho i know someone who wont charge too much!

cheers!

R.I.P Clio
All sorted!

Suspension boils down to renault over exagerating to try an get the monies!! the suspension is ok. I think the dude said they have lost an inch on the coil, not noticeable.

Anyways all problems are now solved and it cost £120 alltogether (inc. a tip lol)

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
All sorted!

Suspension boils down to renault over exagerating to try an get the monies!! the suspension is ok. I think the dude said they have lost an inch on the coil, not noticeable.

Anyways all problems are now solved and it cost £120 alltogether (inc. a tip lol)

Not the physical coil i hope, i think he must mean the compression of the spring is an inch shorter than standard, but that may be the Si having slightly lower springs.

I have no idea what they're talking about size 7 and size 3 tyres - go outside and read off the sidewall the size of the tyres (looks like 185/55/15, for example).

R.I.P Clio
Not the physical coil i hope, i think he must mean the compression of the spring is an inch shorter than standard, but that may be the Si having slightly lower springs.
Whatever it is he said its not something to worry about, it may come up on the MOT if the examiner is fussy!? so it cant be anything serious?!

I have no idea what they're talking about size 7 and size 3 tyres - go outside and read off the sidewall the size of the tyres (looks like 185/55/15, for example).
Neither do I m8 but its got a tick in the green on the sheet so it cant be a problem!?

EDIT: On the 25 point check sheet theres the table, an in the tyres box it looks summit like this....

And he has written in - * Rears Different Size To Fronts

(Ive had to put dots cos the spaces werent appearing grrr lol)
(The spare was N/C not checked cos my sub and amp etc in the boot blocking it... oops!)

Do you get the idea!? I Dont know what it means!!?

Last edited:
  R.I.P Clio
I think he means tread depth then.
But hes saying the tyre size?! and 3mm would be illegal right?! Surely they would have mentioned that to me, an give it an amber or red tick not green?! I dont know hmmm its a tricky one

Ill have to either...
A. ask the mechanic who sorted me service etc out today
B. ask the tyre place where i got the two new fronts from, whats the c**k up
C. ask Renault WTF they on about!

SG9 Forester STi
Oh dear, taking mine to Renault in response to that letter next week, hope I dont get a list like that!!

R.I.P Clio
Oh dear, taking mine to Renault in response to that letter next week, hope I dont get a list like that!!
I havent had me log book back in my name yet not been the 4 weeks period, i didnt want to wait for that then wait for them to realise the change then send me the letter so i jus went in an asked! it was all free!
But from this experience considering everything is now fine, ive learnt ALWAYS get a second opinion, theres a big difference between Renaults idea of "Broken Springs" compared to what seems like a bit of wear an tear?!

But hes saying the tyre size?! and 3mm would be illegal right?! Surely they would have mentioned that to me, an give it an amber or red tick not green?! I dont know hmmm its a tricky one

Ill have to either...
A. ask the mechanic who sorted me service etc out today
B. ask the tyre place where i got the two new fronts from, whats the c**k up
C. ask Renault WTF they on about!
1.6 mm is the legal limit so they are fine. If you got them changed recently then the 7mm will refer to the tread depth. It doesnt matter that much if it has bigger tyres on the front too the back its if the axle pairs are different sizes. You should be ok imo.