ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

offered a race

ph2 172 ff
my mate has a golf gt tdi 150 and he wants to see whch is quicker my 172 or his golf i said to him he d spank me because of the amount of torque his car has but am not sure what do you lot reckon??? thanks

clio sport cup
nope. you will be fine, escpailly form a rolling start. i have done this a few times off a roundabout onto a dual carrageway..

ValverInBits
he will probably do you from a rolling start. 50+
Off the line the diesels are so w**k. I sometimes wonder if it would be faster to start them off in 2nd gear, 1st is so so pointless without a revvy engine.

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
^^ agree with what inferno says ^^

Plus if the 150 GT TDi's anything like my 130 GT TDi golf it'll be fast(ish) in a straight line then roll over and play dead at the first sniff of a bend

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
You should spank the golfs wee arse mate, torque? oh aye loads more, and loads more weight aswell its a good 300kg's heavier than you are.

The 180 turbo does 0-60 in 7.6s and thats still a good 220-280kg's heavier.

I had an altercation with a new 197bhp FSI and we were neck and neck right upto about 95, i deemed it a bit too dangerous but then how fast is too fast?

R32's are the only golfs worth a second glance...

ph2 172 ff
woop cant wait he thinks he will win aswell he used to have a valver and bought the golf because it was more reliable but imo the clio is a hell of a lot more fun :D

53 Clio's & counting
right i work for vw matey and iv had alot of experience with both, i used to have a valver and tbh when rolling there wasnt much of a difference but my 172 is faster, if he gets on the gas first though i think he wont be far off from 30-about 70, then you should pass

there pretty good though the 150's alot of diffrence between a 130 and 150

Clio 182.
my mate has a golf gt tdi 150 and he wants to see whch is quicker my 172 or his golf i said to him he d spank me because of the amount of torque his car has but am not sure what do you lot reckon??? thanks

Im not one for racing generally, but some guy in one of these annoyed me and i pretty much destroyed it in my 182. That was from standing.

Clio 200
i owned a tdi 150 on a rolling so i wouldnt worry if it was stock, my mate has just bought a golf v5 an wants a wee play dont think it should be much trouble either

Suzuki Swift Sport
The only time it would catch you out would be when your out of the power band, the golfs pull welll from very low down! but def not quicker than the 172!

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5

Book a track day/evening at Donington, he will soon see why diesel is for economy:quiet:

Golf 7R

*sighs* Dear oh dear!

insignia
you wont have a problem unless the golf is remapped. At the minute Ive got a Seat Ibiza Fr with a bosch remap to 180bhp and i got to say it makes the 182 'feel' slow.

All that torque will be useful for 20mph-at-a-time sprints, but add some corners or a longer straight and a 172 will be significantly quicker.

172Cup, Golf Gti 1.8T
you wont have a problem unless the golf is remapped. At the minute Ive got a Seat Ibiza Fr with a bosch remap to 180bhp and i got to say it makes the 182 'feel' slow.

Modded V Stock don't count ;)

I would have been confident in my old Vts against one of these Golfs never mind a 172.

Nippy white cup
I'm sorry but I don't think there will be any spanking involved (unless it is the usual CS spanking). From a standing start you will defo be quicker but from a roll I certainly wouldn't take anything for granted...The golf is obviously a lot heavier but with the power (probably nearer 160bhp typically) being not massively different but the torque is obviously much more

Chris

172 cup
I'm surprised! My mate has just bought a GT TDI and I was worried it would be nearly as quick as my 172 cup. 150 bhp in a TDI, I thought it would be rapid. Not been in it yet but It'll let you know when I do. I suppose weight is the big difference...

BMW F21 125d
I raced a V6 4 Motion over the weekend, their 204bhp IIRC, and I had the edge, they were on the power quicker, but i still managed to pull alongside and edge past, was a good race though, I could have carried so much more speed out of the roundabout and made a fool of the V6 but the Mrs was with me!

80MPG BEEZA
lol@this thread

may aswell turn it into a petrol vs diesel arguement

does it really matter?

you could just put both cars round a track and see who is quickest, i'd say the clio will be quicker but by how much? a few seconds i think most people could live having a car a couple of seconds slower, then theirs the whole story of driver ability.... etc etc life goes on