ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

OEM Trophy steering wheel re-trimmed.

MINI-R32-integrale
Although my car has only covered 26K miles the steering wheel was showing signs of wear and TBH felt a little cheap.

I wanted to keep my original steering wheel in my Trophy as not only did I want to keep the cruise control functions, but also the air-bag as many insurance companies are not keen on there removal.

I then had a look around and didn't find many companies who are either keen, or have experience to re-trim steering wheels, but found http://www.gibsontrimming.com/ who are based down in Chandlers Ford probably about 100miles away from me, so all correspondence was done by email and phone, but he still managed to get pretty much what I asked for, namely a fine grain black leather to try and match the finish on the front Recaro's, with red stitching and red band at TDC. I bought a dog rough 2nd hand wheel which had burst thumb grips and the leather look covering was tired.

It's not going to be to everyone's taste but it is wonderful to use now, thicker, much more tactile, and feels like it is a much higher quality steering wheel. Yes there is a slight colour difference between airbag and leather, but in many ways this reflects the black/grey of the Recaro's and means it still matches the dash, and although Gibson can recover airbags with special perforated leather, I left OEM to keep the wheel looking factory to the uninitiated.

It cost £175 which I thought was very reasonable against Renault's £250+ for a cruise control replacement steering wheel, and even against a new MOMO Tuner £125ish plus boss at £35ish it's not much more for IMO a more refined look.

As I hadn't seen this done before I was going in blind, and maybe changes could be made, ie keeping the thumb grips seperate by buying the carbon or GRP ones, but as with anything made to order, the options are pretty much endless. He did say that if a few folk approached him to do any more now that he has worked on one he would offer some discounts, but that would be purely down to individuals to discuss with him.

I also got my gear gaitor done at same time just as an add on.

120109001.jpg

120109002.jpg

120109003.jpg

120109004.jpg

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I had the same gearknob in my Trophy. Looks very good, perhaps a bit overkill with the dash trim. Would look better gloss black with a red stripe IMO.

MINI-R32-integrale
I had the same gearknob in my Trophy. Looks very good, perhaps a bit overkill with the dash trim. Would look better gloss black with a red stripe IMO.

They came that colour, the only other Trophy i have seen was the same so I never knew until joining owners club that they were not like that from new :D

But I did add something to them to match what I did with the back of the car.

CatsandClio033.jpg

CatsandClio031.jpg

CatsandClio028.jpg

A ANIMAL
Finish looks good, i just think the thumbgrips look awful underneath. But as you say, going in blind wtf are you supposed to do!!

A ANIMAL
They came that colour, the only other Trophy i have seen was the same so I never knew until joining owners club that they were not like that from new :D

But I did add something to them to match what I did with the back of the car.

My dash strips are red and i have done the dials and wheel plaque too :eek:

MINI-R32-integrale
Finish looks good, i just think the thumbgrips look awful underneath. But as you say, going in blind wtf are you supposed to do!!

Yeah and to be fair the wheel I supplied was in terrible condition, it really was very poor with the grips having holes in them and falling to bits, I think he had to glue them together to try and get a single piece. Gibson was not impressed with the wheel at all saying something along the lines of "it has some crap plastic covering over the fake leather giving a horrible finish, and what on earth are these rubber grip things meant to be??" but if the starting point is better than it could be done differently, but when trying something new modifications can always be done on subsequent wheels.

What may be nice is getting the carbon grips from the group buy and then getting wheel re-trimmed with those being added, but then that would be an added cost though still comes in under buying a new wheel.

I like G&B's work (she used to be on here) It'lloks nice, love the stitching ! I'm not keen on the red marker bit though, too rallyesque for me.

My old man had his one done ages ago by someone local, they did a nice job, his is jusat plain though (no coloured stitching like yours)

MINI-R32-integrale
I take it you posted the wheel to them and had them post it back?

Yes, I bought a 2nd hand wheel, posted that down and he posted back (took about 10days in total IIRC) this meant I didn't need to take my car off the road. this also gave me option that if I really didn't like it, or wanted to do another slightly differently I could use my original wheel which has undamaged thumb grips and is in good overall condition reflected in its 26K usage.

They can do pretty much anything really, for example if you had a blue or yellow car say you could have the stiching in those colours, if you look at this link it shows a BMW steering wheel with multicolour stiching in the M Sport colours

http://www.gibsontrimming.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=100&pos=5

The finished product does look awesome, think I'll keep an eye out for a cheap knackered RS wheel to send down to them. How much extra did the gear gaitor cost if you don't mind me asking?

RS 182 TROPHY (T4 PHY)
The boot of your motor looks the nuts how did you remove the badges are they just stuck on or is there holes left when you took them off?? I like that idea looks the nuts :D

RS 182 TROPHY (T4 PHY)
BOOT LOOKS IMMENSE FELLA... HOW DU GET THOSE BADGES OFF THEY JUST STUCK ON OR DEY LEAVE HOLES BEHIND??

IV NOT SEEN THAT DONE BEFORE...LOOKS MINT

DECKO

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Looks really great, I see what people are saying bout being able to see the thumb grips but like you said its the 1st one. I don't think it would look good with the carbon inserts and leather wheel. Personally I think if the wheel was stripped back a bit to make it a little thinner, then the everything was smoothed before the leather was applied. Think it would look really amazing then. Might get one done for my cup when I can afford it!

MINI-R32-integrale
The boot of your motor looks the nuts how did you remove the badges are they just stuck on or is there holes left when you took them off?? I like that idea looks the nuts :D

Thank you.

I really didn't like the fact that there were four different type faces used on the various badges on the car, one for "Renault", one for "Sport", then "Clio" and of course "Trophy" in fact you could say that the 2.0L 16V is yet another type face, it's a bit untidy.

I therefore got my g/f to copy the Trophy typeface and between us made up the "RS" and "CLIO" in the Trophy typeface. The "RS CLIO" is the same length as the Trophy badge so makes the rear more symmetrical. Emma then made them up at her work www.dread.cc who also do the pistonheads stuff etc which she did most of the designs for.

I'm toying with idea of removing the bullets, smoothing them off, painting black and then making up op 2.0L 16V badges in same typeface to make it all the same, and I also like idea of maybe carbon steering wheel badge with RS on it instead of Renaultsport to tie it all together.

As for the original badges, the Renault Sport ones are just stuck on, hairdryer to heat up and they come off very easy, the Clio badge has two holes on tailgate which all I did was fibreglass behind and fill before using some touch up and cutting it all back with some compound as the badge covers them, this gave me option if I didn't like to return to original very easily, but now I know I like it may get the holes done properly next year, ie small plate welded behind and tailgate resprayed so its perfectly smooth.

Last edited:

Mickb

ClioSport Club Member
  van low and 1.6 16v
175 to get it trimed is good id say. if they can make it more oem then its fun of win

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Ah so it finally arrived then looks pretty ace.. much better than the standard rubbish anyway..

Gear gaitor looks cool as well :cool:

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
I might give these guys a call... I was going to try D:Class for a trim on my Wheel.

I wonder if where the Thumb Grips go, if it would look neater if the outline of the Grips was Stitched, rather than just covering them?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Looks good that! For me i would have had the red band stitched only.......Got me thinking about my Cup one now! Also have a spare 106 GTI wheel i could do with getting done! Hmmmmmmm

MINI-R32-integrale
Renault have gone even further with the steering wheel in the Twingo Gordini, which may or may not give some ideas to owners looking to refresh there tired wheel knowing the manufacturer has done something similar themselves ie the Racing Blue 182's.

To quote Renault press blurb;

The same Gordini spirit continues inside thanks to:
  • Renaultsport seats with extra lateral support, with blue and black Gordini-embossed leather upholstery
  • blue leather door panel inserts
  • blue and black leather-covered steering wheel with two white stripes to indicate the centre point
  • blue gearlever gaiter and Gordini-badged gearlever knob
  • blue rev-counter with white surround
  • leather-trimmed dashboard cowl
Renault_Twingo_RS_Gordini_interior_01.jpg

The last bit about the leather trimmed dash board cowl has been something I had thought of in the Trophy, getting a spare dash and getting the cowl done in same black leather as the steering wheel with red stiching, many cars have something similar, Fiat 500Abarth springs to mind as it has an excellent quality interior.

Looking at picture of the 500Abarth you can see the way its thumb grips are, this is something that could work on the Clio wheel, plus you can see the cowl behind it which ties in nicely.

fiat-500-abarth-interior.jpg

Last edited: