ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Odd letter from Renault

Clio 172 Cup
Clio and Megane related post.

I used to have a Megane Renaultsport 175 (Diesel Model) before i got my Clio Cup and sold it to my Dad.

Got a letter though the post the other day saying the Megane is due to have it's Cambelt changed. Thought i better let my dad know the news he has got to pay for that to be done. So went round parents house but when i was round there i started thinking i swear it has a chain rather than a belt on it. Did a bit of googling and it does have a chain. So dad rang renault and questioned it saying the car has a chain not a belt and the guy he spoke to said yes on all diesels the letter gets automatically generated and sent out but to ignore it.

That got me thinking though what happened if someone who didn't have a clue about their engines rang up to book it in for a cambelt change when it didn't need it, would renault tell them it doesn't need it doing or just have the car in and bill them for other work.

I also got another letter through this morning about my Clio saying it needs to have its bonnet catch checked but when i first brought the car i rang them straight away to check it had been looked at and they said it had. Just rang them now and again another person has told me it is an automated letter. Just seems Renault have a very poor systems in place for this type of thing.

Suzuki Ignis Sport
I couldn't see them fobbing you off telling you they've fitted a belt to a chain driven engine tbh!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Common thing, my mum got a cambelt reminder for her chain driven Polo once.

It was written off in 2009. But even if it was still on the road, what use is it 5 years later?

They do them in runs every few years, you can't expect them to send a reminder every time a car changes owner, that's an admin nightmare. Although it should probably be more often than once every 5 years. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last one now though, the cars are getting old now.

Passat
The bonnet catch letter is a good one to send out. As the car changes hands it informs a new owner of a common issue they need to address. Ok, every 5 years isn't great - but I think it's worth them doing it.

I don't understand them sending out cambelt letters that aren't car-specific. That does seen really odd. And if anyone's getting a cambelt warning, shouldn't it be Clio drivers?

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
I would get your Dad to play along and use this to see if your dealer throws straight dice.

Get the old man to go in with the letter and to attempt to book it in. If they do - take it in on the prescribed day and see what it is they say. Then once you have an estimate and it booked in and they say they have the parts - that's when to launch.

If they are a good dealer, they'll tell you immediately what RUK did. Automatic letters though are awful.