ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Not a great start to 200 ownership, looking at upgrades to sort the throttle

Clio V6, Clio 200
I've owned my 200 cup for about 3 weeks now and so far have not bonded well with it. Coming from a previous history of turbo'd cars, Ive found it gutless lowdown and on top of this the throttle is driving me round the bend! Hesitation and kangarooing both from cold and hot. (Ive read this is a common problem from cold, which I could understand and probably live with) but when I drove the car the full length of the M1 from Leeds to London last week (most definately hot by this point) I came off the motorway onto a roundabout and nearly got wiped out by a truck because the car would not bloody pull away cleanly! Its been run on Vpower and Momentum 99 since I got it, so it cant be due to cr*p fuel.

Its going into the dealers this week to sort a loud knocking noise from the rear but I'm guessing they wont find anything wrong with the throttle (as everyone tells me... they all do that sir! ....emissions control, fly by wire throttle etc, etc... yeah but the car is frigging dangerous to drive like this!)

So I've been looking at other options prior to getting rid of the car (sounds drastic but as it is, I hate the car that much). Ive seen KTR do a remap for a couple of hundred quid, but Im also tempted at shelling out for the Cam upgrade and remap. Has anyone else had this done, and would recommend it? I like the sound of a couple more ponies and a bit more torque low down, and if it solves the throttle problem, Id pay double for it!

Remap wise, is there anywhere in the North (yorkshire area) that can do the remap? Id love to use Ktec, but they are in Dorset and Im in Leeds. So not ideal. Id obviously make the trip for the cam upgrade if required.

Cheers
Dan

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
Is there a chance there could be issues with the plugs/leads/coil pack to explain hesitation?

When they're hot I've never experienced Kangaroo'ing, and the hesitation is max 0.5 seconds on mine (but it's a 182 so could be different?)

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Wonder if it has the latest software on it. what plate is it.
My boss had one we reprogrammed it it was fine.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
Don't take this the wrong way, but it could just be a change in driving style is needed. I went from a turbo diesel to my 197 and it took me a few weeks to change the way I drove it.

I would get exactly the same symptoms with it dying when pulling off etc, I've found it just needs a few more revs and it's fine.

I could be completely wrong of course and it may have something wrong with it.

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
Sounds as though it drives like a 1.2 corsa twinport. Plenty of revving to get going.

Hope you sort this.

Don't take this the wrong way, but it could just be a change in driving style is needed. I went from a turbo diesel to my 197 and it took me a few weeks to change the way I drove it.

I would get exactly the same symptoms with it dying when pulling off etc, I've found it just needs a few more revs and it's fine.

I can echo this from experience. Took barely any revs to get my heavy MK4 1.8T Golf rolling but even after nearly 3 months of owning it, I still sometimes bog the Clio down.

Plus I never got the full performance from the Clio at first as I was used to changing gear at 5,500RPM with my Golf which is just over the point the Clio really comes to life.

They do require you to adjust your driving style in a big way.

2012 Clio RS200 A&D
I seem to be one of the rare folks who doesn't suffer from any of the problems that people told me I would experience. I get no hesitation, no kangaroo - nothing. Given that the car is new, I'm trying to stay under 3500/4000 rpm, too for a few hundred miles.

I've come from a B200 Turbo Mercedes, and haven't had to adjust my driving style other than acknowledging an obvious lack of torque down low. I warm the engine up for 3/4 minutes before taking off each time, and it's ready like clockwork.

Sounds to me like you've got a problem that needs attention. Any chance of catching up with someone else and comparing back to back?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
If you do decide to go for the map, get cams, a panel filter, an exhaust and a ported throttle body at the same time. May as well make it breathe better while you're getting the cams :)

Or just rev the tits off it lol

This, if you didn't give it enough revs, you have to ease back off the throttle if you want to smooth out a standing start.

^rev the tits off it

If you don't mind looking a tool everywhere, this is the best solution.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I've found throttle control is everything when the engine's just been fired up.

Give it any kind of prod and you're off, bouncing down the road. Gently tickle it though, and you can pull away smoothly without issue.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
am i the only one who finds it retarded to get a remap to "cure" a fault that isnt the normal behaviour of the car? at least try adjusting your driving style or compairing another car to rule its not you first! lol