ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Non starter after being stood?

2002 Clio 172
My 172 has been stood for about a month and before then has had fairly minimal use. The battery was flat and knackered so I replaced that today. On the key it turns over for about 5 seconds but then stops and never fires. I've put some fuel in to eliminate that one but still no firing. Any suggestions as to what it could be?

'06 MK3 Clio 1.4L
Might be worth giving it a full service (all filters inc fuel filter, oil, spark plugs) and test the coils too!

2002 Clio 172
The issue is someone is coming to collect the car this afternoon as it is sold! Didn't really want to be throwing money at it. I can't understand how it worked a month ago and now all of a sudden doesn't :-/

In my experience if having a solid red light it's always been a voltage problem, if you can the get a pair jump leads connected to your car and another or a battery booster with plenty if charge should work and then try it

2002 Clio 172
Thanks guys. The buyer has been and is a really top guy, spent ages trying to fix it but to no avail. I'll try the jump leads tomorrow, it's really odd because the starter turns over and then just stops before it would naturally fire. I'm not sure what that is all about!

2002 Clio 172
No mate, still no further forward. Gonna give it another go today but ran the battery flat trying so need it jumping off my other car / booster pack.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Does the fuel pump prime? I would take all the relays out under the bonnet, give them a quick tap and ensure they are not corroded then try it. Also if it was immobiliser i don't think it would turn over, but just in case there is a procedure to re-set it on here. Its something like, turn key to ignition on and hold door lock button for 10 seconds. But you need to confirm that.

2002 Clio 172
Thanks for the replies lads. We got the car runnig eventually and the new owner has driven it away. Basically it was a 5a fuse in the relay box causing the problems! We buggared about all afternoon and tried these as a last resort. Replaced and it fired straight up.