ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Noisy dephaser pully

How can you tell when it's on its way out ?
Ive just picked up an 04 182 and it's noisy on tick over like its low on oil and Tappety but rev it to 1300 rpm and it goes and sounds as quiet as a mouse
does this sound right or is it something else

i have just done my cambelt & dephaser on my 182 and now i have a real light tapping noise at idle that i never noticed before i did the work. it doesn't do it all the time. i need to have a listen in the engine bay when it does it but i think it might be the charcoal canister solenoid that i can hear at idle (when i'm not on idle the engine noise takes over/it stops and i can no longer hear any tapping noise) it might be worth just checking that before making any expensive commitments.

my engine was probably making the noise before i did the cambelt i just probably never noticed it.

when a dephaser is bad/going it usually sounds like a diesel from what i have read

GSXR + KDX220
Rattley!! More so when its upto temp! Mine is pretty quiet when its first started in the morning.

Rattley!! More so when its upto temp! Mine is pretty quiet when its first started in the morning.

Yeah mine was quiet as a mouse this morning but sounded like it was low on oil by the time I got to work. It only does it on idle, rev it to 1300 rpm and it goes away

Any further thoughts

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah mine was quiet as a mouse this morning but sounded like it was low on oil by the time I got to work. It only does it on idle, rev it to 1300 rpm and it goes away

Any further thoughts

I cant see anyone having any thoughts other than "your dephasor has had it", what you are saying is a pretty much perfect description of what they go like.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
on a side note and whilst dephasers are under discussion, are they the same across all MK2 RS engines, phase 1 172, phase 2 and 182?

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
i have just done my cambelt & dephaser on my 182 and now i have a real light tapping noise at idle that i never noticed before i did the work. it doesn't do it all the time. i need to have a listen in the engine bay when it does it but i think it might be the charcoal canister solenoid that i can hear at idle (when i'm not on idle the engine noise takes over/it stops and i can no longer hear any tapping noise) it might be worth just checking that before making any expensive commitments.

my engine was probably making the noise before i did the cambelt i just probably never noticed it.

when a dephaser is bad/going it usually sounds like a diesel from what i have read

Check the fuel rail heat shield, i thought my dephaser was getting worse (is rattling anyway) but it was just being added to by a rattle from the heat shield! I ended up with a slightly less rattly Clio!