ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

No fault claim increased my premium

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Flol @ Dan! Says it all.

Maybe Insurance should be paid for by our taxes? It's a right iirc..

Not at all but those with a good claims history shouldn't be made to suffer...

This is the entire reason why there’s so many fraudulent claims and the reason why there’s a lot of people that don't insure their cars at their home address (therefore invalidating their insurance meaning you and I have to pick up the tab when they have an accident).

Statistics allow for generalisations. Should Insurance companies be allowed to hike premiums based on the colour of your skin?

I may be more of a risk based on where I live, my age etc but the fact remains that I havent claimed yet pay more than person X who lives in an A rated postcode, has claimed multiple times and leaves their car at an F rated postcode everyday where they work.

How can a colour of skin increase your chances of a claim? It can't.

You haven't yet. Yet being the key word. If Doris lives in an A rated postcode and has claimed a lot, her insurance will be more. That doesn't mean yours should be lower.

If you want to pay less, then get a lower insurance grouped car and move.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
How can a colour of skin increase your chances of a claim? It can't.

You haven't yet. Yet being the key word. If Doris lives in an A rated postcode and has claimed a lot, her insurance will be more. That doesn't mean yours should be lower.

If you want to pay less, then get a lower insurance grouped car and move.

In the same way being male "supposedly" increases your chance of a crash...

That’s my point thought, it's all rubbish in the same why you can't assume the colour of your skin or your gender makes you more likely to be involved in an accident (this is regarded as discrimination hence why the rules have now changed).

You missed the key point I was making regarding Doris "she leaves her car in an F rated postcode everyday where she works". As her car will spend 50% of its time in an F rated postcode surely this should be taken into account?

Simple fact remains that car insurance has spiraled out of control. How can it cost me 8 times as little to insure my house and its contents (which incidentally cover me for a lot more than my car is worth or “most” crashes is likely to incur)!? The simple reason being because every man and his dog aren't making fraudulent claims against their home. Once the fraudulent claim side of things is sorted then premiums will undoubtedly.

As I stated in another thread its not car crime or accidents that make Manchester so expensive it’s the fraudulent claims side of things. Unfortunately there is little I or my neighbour can do to resolve this…

Trophy #387
You can go the police and ask for crash/theft statistics for certain types of cars, and you can phone up your insurance company and say "Clio thefts have decreased this year so why has my premium gone up?" and they'll say "In your area clio thefts have gone up".. It's bullshit, we know it and they know it, but you can't access that information.

It is bullshit, but we all have to go through it... It's just a s**t side of life... Unfortunately many of us get dry bummed because of other people's poor driving and claims.

Because there's been millions of crashes over the years and they have all the details about it. When women crash they reverse into a post or someone in a car park. Men barrel roll 18 times into a field. How many of your female friends/family have crashed at high speed? Or when they crash are they slow nudges? Then what about your male friends?

It is taken into account isn't it? I'm sure mine asked me where mines marked during the day. But most crime happens at night anyway. Again, another statistic.

Yup. Fraud and snow have increased costs massively.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Because there's been millions of crashes over the years and they have all the details about it. When women crash they reverse into a post or someone in a car park. Men barrel roll 18 times into a field. How many of your female friends/family have crashed at high speed? Or when they crash are they slow nudges? Then what about your male friends?

It is taken into account isn't it? I'm sure mine asked me where mines marked during the day. But most crime happens at night anyway. Again, another statistic.

Yup. Fraud and snow have increased costs massively.

Nope it doesn’t ask you to provide the postcode of where the car will be kept during the working week.

Oh I agree that it may be likely that men cause more costly accidents (I've not seen any statistics proving this mind), however, you can't tarnish every male with the same brush. Insurance companies just used to use this as an excuse to hike up every policy taken out by a male to cover the deficit caused by fraudulent claims (thankfully this is now deemed discrimination hence the rule change).

I do less than 5k a year, work from home and my car is parked day and night in a garage. My insurance would be half if I insured it at my mums, worked in MCR city center (parking in the street during the day) and did 15k a year.

You can't but they have to base it on something.

You can't base it on how you sound on the phone or if you can construct a sentence without 'innit', as that's not logical.

All insurances are based on risk. If I phoned up now and got a quote for flood damage, I fully expect my quote to be higher than any quote you received. Unless something drastic happens my house isn't going to flood. The sea would need to raise another 100ft. But still, I'd be more at risk than you, because I'm on and island and 50 yards from the beach.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
You can't but they have to base it on something.

You can't base it on how you sound on the phone or if you can construct a sentence without 'innit', as that's not logical.

All insurances are based on risk. If I phoned up now and got a quote for flood damage, I fully expect my quote to be higher than any quote you received. Unless something drastic happens my house isn't going to flood. The sea would need to raise another 100ft. But still, I'd be more at risk than you, because I'm on and island and 50 yards from the beach.

Of course but the difference in quotes will no doubt be relative to the risk. I'd always expect car insurance to be greater if you live in a city, however the difference is unreasonable. The same can unfortunately be said for newly qualified drivers.