ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nikon D600

Golf GTD Mk7
I've got the d7000 and I'm considering upgrading now.lol. Annoyingly I'm only in America until Saturday, so I miss the release date. Guide price is something like $2100 or £1995 (d800 is closer to £3k), so with the current exchange rate you can pick one up in the US for about £1600ish. Might wait until next year and see what the reviews are like once being used by people. It uses the same batteries as the d7000, but the battery grip will be different, so that's another $300+ on top annoyingly.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
I have the d800 and love it, I use it for everything, awesome camera.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
I know that Scott has the D600 now, so if he sees this he can shed some light on it. From the reviews it’s looks fantastic.

I had the pleasure of using the D600 & D7100 alongside each other.

It was a tough call, but in the end I went with the D7100 and have never looked back.

For me the D600 fell short of expectations and the D7100 just done what I wanted it to do better.

Build quality they are pretty much identical, although I did find the battery door and few other covers better on the D7100.

The D600 focus area is very small - if you shoot subjects at the side of the frame you end up doing a lot of focus and re-compose.

Speed wise - D7100 shoots more FPS, focus speed seemed pretty much identical for both.

Controls - pretty much identical.

Size and weight - D600 slightly heavier and bigger, not by much.

IQ - for me there was nothing in it up to iso 3200. D600 was better above 3200, but nothing to shot about.

The removal of the AA filter in the D7100 an improved sharpness a lot from the D7000 IMO.

If you want full frame, by all means choose the D600. Its a great starter FX camera, just don't expect it to blow you away like a D800 would.

Finally - Both the D7100 and D600 need decent glass for the best results. I'm not saying full on f2.8 glass, but a step up from the kit lenses.

The D7100 for me, is the best crop sensor camera to date. I just cant complain and the quality of images it produces.

The D600 was made for a cheaper way to FX, but I think Nikon could have improved it. The D7100 has the latest 51 point AF system, the D600 had the older 39 point focus system.

Its not a bad camera by any means, but I think the D7100 is a better camera and thats why I chose it!

"Navy" N17 TWO
I think I've ruled out the D600 - heard a lot of good reviews of the D7100 but I'm going FF with the 2nd body this time. That's the plan anyway!

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
If you’ve ruled the D600 out then you don’t have much choice new :p How about a second hand D700? Same sensor as your D3.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Yeah the smaller AF area and no AF-On button on the rear ditched it from my watch list lol.

Any issues with oil or dust anyone?

I tried 2 D600's. One had an oil spot from the start - the one i tested got dust far quicker than I had ever noticed on previous models.

Dont think there is much you can do about the oil problem, other than having a sensor clean when it happens.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
I think I've ruled out the D600 - heard a lot of good reviews of the D7100 but I'm going FF with the 2nd body this time. That's the plan anyway!

I would go d800, I can't praise mine enough. I use mine for pretty much anything, I have shot weddings, clubs, events, motorsport etc etc ..the noise handling is awesome you can shoot upwards of 3200 and its fine. I thought about the d600 and so glad I never bought one, I would of been kicking myself.

I often use a d4 a lot with the guy who I second shoot some weddings with and I would say that and the d800 side by side are two amazing bits of kit. Nikon have the top end of their range tied up to be fair with not many options other than the d4 or d800 in my eyes. My next body will be a d4 however if you can't afford the d800 go d700 and swap a function button on the back to be a AF-ON button.

The d800/d4 have plenty of extra features that the d600/d7100 don't have hence the extra price tag. If you live local enough to me by all means if you wanna meet up and have a play then go for it.

I am just about to buy a new 85mm f1.4G for mine, just trying to resist spending the money on a holiday instead lol.

Golf GTD Mk7
I had the pleasure of using the D600 & D7100 alongside each other.

It was a tough call, but in the end I went with the D7100 and have never looked back.

For me the D600 fell short of expectations and the D7100 just done what I wanted it to do better.

Build quality they are pretty much identical, although I did find the battery door and few other covers better on the D7100.

The D600 focus area is very small - if you shoot subjects at the side of the frame you end up doing a lot of focus and re-compose.

Speed wise - D7100 shoots more FPS, focus speed seemed pretty much identical for both.

Controls - pretty much identical.

Size and weight - D600 slightly heavier and bigger, not by much.

IQ - for me there was nothing in it up to iso 3200. D600 was better above 3200, but nothing to shot about.

The removal of the AA filter in the D7100 an improved sharpness a lot from the D7000 IMO.

If you want full frame, by all means choose the D600. Its a great starter FX camera, just don't expect it to blow you away like a D800 would.

Finally - Both the D7100 and D600 need decent glass for the best results. I'm not saying full on f2.8 glass, but a step up from the kit lenses.

The D7100 for me, is the best crop sensor camera to date. I just cant complain and the quality of images it produces.

The D600 was made for a cheaper way to FX, but I think Nikon could have improved it. The D7100 has the latest 51 point AF system, the D600 had the older 39 point focus system.

Its not a bad camera by any means, but I think the D7100 is a better camera and thats why I chose it!

That was my only gripe with this body to be honest. The specs look brilliant, but in the end I opted for a second hand D3. The D800 felt massive compared to the D3, especially as I like the battery grip options. The D3 is immense. Would recommend it to anyone and the ergonomics are fine. The extra weight isn't very noticable as I used to have the D7000 with battery grip and extra batter attached all the time. The only difference is the depth of the body, so the grip takes a bit of getting used to. For me it feels more comfortable in portrait mode. Accessability of buttons/functions makes it worth while also. I'm glad I opted this way.

"Navy" N17 TWO
^ I hear your shout - My main body is a D3 - yes it is awesome and doing a job with a D90 on the other shoulder it just feels odd - I know it's an awesome camera and I've never had a bother with it but I think it's time to move on up to FF as ideally I'd have the 24-70 & the 70-200 on the harness at the next wedding coming up.

I hardly use the D90 now apart from the odd macro shot here & there - different story if I had a 2nd D3 for my style of shooting. But for another few 100 pounds the D800 is going over a 2nd hand D3

I would go d800, I can't praise mine enough. I use mine for pretty much anything, I have shot weddings, clubs, events, motorsport etc etc ..the noise handling is awesome you can shoot upwards of 3200 and its fine. I thought about the d600 and so glad I never bought one, I would of been kicking myself.

I often use a d4 a lot with the guy who I second shoot some weddings with and I would say that and the d800 side by side are two amazing bits of kit. Nikon have the top end of their range tied up to be fair with not many options other than the d4 or d800 in my eyes. My next body will be a d4 however if you can't afford the d800 go d700 and swap a function button on the back to be a AF-ON button.

The d800/d4 have plenty of extra features that the d600/d7100 don't have hence the extra price tag. If you live local enough to me by all means if you wanna meet up and have a play then go for it.

I am just about to buy a new 85mm f1.4G for mine, just trying to resist spending the money on a holiday instead lol.

Matt - cheers mate :)
Although a meet up would probably cost about as much as the camera ;) lol I was in London earlier this year rocking the D3

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
lol! dumb moment of the day just realised you live across the duck pond in NI! I always wanted a d3, but thinking now d4 is the way, just soo expensive :(

What lenses do you use on your d3? I have now sold all of my crop stuff and just starting to stock my bag back up with new lenses for the d800, only thing I miss is the fast FPS for sports but that doesn't bother me to just means you have to get the shot right first time if needs be.

"Navy" N17 TWO
That's the only thing about the D800 - is it fast enough? :) lol
I normally have mine on CL think thats 5fps? Only use the higher speed for wildlife or airshows

*edit*
Lenses - I have the nikon babies 24-70 & 70-200 2.8's
60mm micro 2.8
50mm 1.4
2 Sigma's - 17-35mm 2.8-4 and the 150-500mm OS

Last edited:
  Fiesta ST-3
I tried 2 D600's. One had an oil spot from the start - the one i tested got dust far quicker than I had ever noticed on previous models.

Dont think there is much you can do about the oil problem, other than having a sensor clean when it happens.

Early models only. Oil on the sensor has been fixed in later models.

Clio182
So I shouldn't replace my D3 with a D600?? I feel a bit like a tool walking around with it... I'm not a pro but have been wanting to go FF, so when I saw one cheap I had to get it. Sold my D90 so its my only SLR now.

I feel I'll miss the pro features, but feel that the newer sensor will be better. Thoughts??

Golf GTD Mk7
it would be a waste of a change imo. You would have to get the battery grip also imo. If you put the pro body next to a d7000/d7100 and d600 with grips on the size isn't much different really.

"Navy" N17 TWO
True :)
I'm debating with myself over a 2nd D3 now or the D800 - I'd take the D800 when traveling light and still have the option of video (if I had the D800 that is)

Golf GTD Mk7
What's the difference in price between a used d3 and a d800? It's around 500 plus pound here.

Roughly £1500 for d3, £2200ish for d3s and £1900 body only for d800. Battery grip on top obviously. All second hand prices

"Navy" N17 TWO
Has anyone used the D600 or D800 with the MB-D12 grip?

Just re-thinking about that 4 fps for capturing the action!

D600 is 5.5fps with or without grip.

D7100 is 6, and 7 in the strange crop mode.

D800 is only one that goes up with a grip.

The let down on both the D7100 and D600 is the buffer size in RAW, so remember that if you want it for lots of sports in RAW.

I have no doubt that there will be a D600s or something along those lines soon. That will be the one to look out for IMO.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
I use the d800 with the grip, I have no issue with the FPS for action and using the grip does increase it. My d300s was fast with with the grip on at 9ps and I never really used it to real loads of shots off with in one go, i would rather take one or two instead of machine gunning it and getting one correct and filling up cards.

Features built in to the d800, if used properly enable you to get that shot first time without shooting in high burst mode in my opinion. 3d tracking when focusing is amazing for sport, Like I said earlier in the thread I have shot sports also using the d4 and its no different to shooting with the d800 even if the D4 has a stupid fast FPS.

however it all depends on your style of shooting, I normally go for a single shot or a couple max. For exsmple Motorsport, i turn on 3d tracking, AF-C, set up Auto ISO so the camera decides the ISO dependant on your shutter speed and metering options, which you can set to a max ISO sensitivity and shutter speed and then fire away. I also shoot in fufull manual mode.

Hope the above helps and make some sense it is silly o'clock in the morning.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Sounds like its just sold it for me then :)

Is the 3D tracking in the newer bodies much different from the likes of the D3?

I use the D7100 much like Matt uses the D800.

I mainly shoot single shot with 3D tracking for equestrian.