ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nightmare trying to remove CAT / DECAT

2004 Iceburg 172
As we all know the two 10mm bolts that join the cat to the manifold are are a right pig, but I got mine up on the ramps today to swap the cat out and and ended up not changing it due to 1 of the bolts having been overtightened in the past meaning that the washer that holds the spring in place had been pushed down the unthreaded shaft of the bolt, nothing I could do would shift it so and as you'll know there aint much access to it so I'm kind of stuck now :eek:(

Haven't even put the nut back on the bolt as the washer is keeping the spring bolt tight, hoping it just snaps during daily use so I can actually get the job done.

Proper angry now like, after 3 hours on my back with rust in my eyes :dead:

Aye it's a terrible job
Only thing you'll be able to do really is see if you can get a dremmel with a cutting disc on up there and cut it off

Honestly it's just not worth the hassle - bit more noise and less power. I wouldn't decat a clio again

2004 Iceburg 172
Yeah I was thinking dremmel too or a long thin saw of some type, I'm actually putting the CAT back in as I want it back to standard.

AAS'D RB 182
actually did mine yesterday on my drive and it took me a hour from jacking it up swapping it and putting it down!! must have been my lucky day then!!!!

actually did mine yesterday on my drive and it took me a hour from jacking it up swapping it and putting it down!! must have been my lucky day then!!!!

Its not the same as a 182 cat, 1 hour on a 182 i would say is pretty slow lol

Monaco Clio 172
or if you hold a spanner on the stud from under the bonnet, get the missus to get on her back under the car and undo the nut. Simples

2004 Iceburg 172
I've given up and booked it into Maltech in Stockton, let him have the headache lol (I have pre warned him of the fun he will have)

pb ph2 172
leave the nut on loossely and hit it
or with the nuts off yank it side to side
or thirdly stop being a blouse and man up

2004 Iceburg 172
Tried all that (and more) Believe me, if I had hit it any harder it would have taken the manifold off!! I was amazed how much crowbar/hammer action it took and wouldn't shift. Despite lying underneath I could get quite a good swing at it but still no luck. Still driving round with the nut off and no sign of it shifting any time soon...