ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nick172Cups 4th RenaultSport Clio 172 Cup

Nick172Cups 4[SUP]th[/SUP] RenaultSport Clio 172 Cup

After not getting on with the Monaco 172 I had purchased a couple of months back, I was offered this by a good mate John who’s on here. A lovely cup with 76k on the clock in pretty good condition, always serviced and maintained so it seemed the ideal car to get to hopefully settle with as my daily.

From the moment I turned the key I knew this one was a peach of a RS, having had 9 in recent years you can most definitely get in them and know which ones are dogs and which ones have been looked after/well put together. The drive home was sublime, so much tighter to drive and put a big smile on my face.

IMG_6701_zpsb6e4cd0e.jpg

IMG_6702_zps7da62592.jpg

IMG_6703_zpse0b96b20.jpg

IMG_6704_zpse10baf9b.jpg

So the spec the car came to me...

Matte black turinis with Continental Conti-Sports all round with 5+mm tread

FK Konigsport Coilovers
K-Tec Stealth with decat
RSTuner remap with ‘revised’ pop and bangs
JMS V6 airbox
172 leather and alcantara interior
Matte black diamonds, bullets and badges with yellow detail
TRS tow strap in yellow

The car is in reasonably good condition, a few little scuffs and marks here and there and unfortunately a rear quarter dent which you’ll see in the pictures once i’ve cleaned it. I’m hoping that a paintless dent removal guy will be able to work his magic and i’ll replace other scuffed panels in time.

So last weekend I eventually started tinkering, the plan was to remove some bits not to my tastes and add some parts I had in the shed. Here’s my ‘to do’ list....lol

Remove all black bullets, diamonds and badges

Remove excess stickers/badges
Remove tinted side repeaters
Remove decat
Paint/refurb wheels silver
Paint/refurb callipers black/silver
Fit 172 cat
Fit xenons
Fit alcantara A-pillars and handbrake surround
Remove dents/replace panels for better condition items.

I wanted to remove all the matte black and yellow parts on the car and replace them with the standard silver parts, luckily John plastidipped these so I simply (not so simple) had to peel the stuff off and refit rather than buying all new parts. After a bit of faffing about it was all sorted, I also swapped the tinted side repeaters for clear ones as well as all the excess stickers like the tow and extra 172cup badges.

Next on the list was to fit some 172 xenons I had in the shed, so up the car went onto axle stands to remove the bumper. Whilst there I removed the arch liners as they had holes in as the foglights weren’t there, and removed the undertray as these are the ‘standard’ things I when getting a new clio. I also fitted some Magnecore blue leads spare in the shed.

IMG_6705_zps0e6699e6.jpg

IMG_6706_zps4cfe1652.jpg

IMG_6710_zps7c6b2f66.jpg

IMG_6714_zpsa0d4a9c6.jpg

IMG_6715_zps364b9a79.jpg

IMG_6716_zpsad825c10.jpg

IMG_6707_zpsb21d264a.jpg

Then started a little bit of interior fettling by adding the alcanatara bits I had from the old Monaco 172, with the rest of the alcantara interior it fits in nicely and makes the c**kpit a better place to be. Also fitted an Isofix bar and the steel spare wheel until I can get a spare fifth cup turini.

IMG_6717_zpse92fec5c.jpg

IMG_6718_zpsf6b991ee.jpg

IMG_6719_zps3409a519.jpg

IMG_6720_zps83f3d40f.jpg

IMG_6721_zps5ab7a3af.jpg

Last but not least I gave the Cup its first quick clean, snowfoamed, shampoo’d and dried with AG rapid detailer. Looking lovely in the sun if I do say so myself, once the wheels/callipers are sorted it would even better!

IMG_6722_zps38033a07.jpg

IMG_6723_zpsb5329f04.jpg

IMG_6724_zps12ac31c0.jpg

IMG_6728_zps1fe70b3a.jpg

Pictures of the dent... :(

IMG_6725_zpsfcce1356.jpg

IMG_6726_zps93d67ebf.jpg

IMG_6727_zps6cbdb2fa.jpg

Cheers
Nick

Cheers mate, by all means pop over whenever I'm doing some bits to the car. Not a great deal planned mechanicalwise apart from putting back to near standard, but would be good to get some pics of the cars!

I do have an issue with mk2 Clio RS' in general, though Cups mainly due to them being the best of the mk2 bunch! ;)

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Cheers mate, by all means pop over whenever I'm doing some bits to the car. Not a great deal planned mechanicalwise apart from putting back to near standard, but would be good to get some pics of the cars!

I do have an issue with mk2 Clio RS' in general, though Cups mainly due to them being the best of the mk2 bunch! ;)

Text me when you're doing some stuff and i'll swing by :)

LOL - as you well know, I've spent the last 5 months basically making mine Cup spec. So I can't argue with that....

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
The racecar? He still has it Pete. See photo number two and four. I do worry about you and Hunter, I know you're getting old and all that but you still need to see to race :)

Unless you both just use 'the force'.

Jay - For once I'm actually so happy with a car that I can overlook the the marks on the bodywork! Doesn't mean I won't be getting them sorted though, probably won't be a reshell though. ;)

Pete - I've already had an offer for Cup #3 from a well known competitor in the TARC Pete, tbh it will be for sale soon but I'm just in the process of prepping it for sale.

Nick

With the good weather, brighter evenings and pending sale of the FK Konigsports I thought I'd dig out the old Bilsteins from the shed to clean them up and adjust them for this Cup. I also purchased a Whiteline a few weeks back that needed a spruce up...

adatu4eq.jpg

3apajata.jpg

Bilsteins dismantled, adjuster threads wire brushed and then doused in WD40. I started on rubbing down the Whiteline but still a bit to go before its ready for paint.

u2asudyq.jpg

Only had an hour this evening so not a lot else done, added a couple more doses of WD40 to the threads so fingers crossed they'll move smoothly when I try to adjust them!

Nick

Clio 172 Monaco blue
Hi nick, have sent you a pm, but am after some brakes, tyres and suspension, if you have any up in the shed or somewhere ;-) I need a few bits doing to mine if your free for an hour to look over mine?

Bit more done to the coilovers today, after soaking the threads/adjusters on the fronts without much effort they freed off and removed them.

a2a2ary9.jpg

Then popped to a mates to use his bench sanding thing to clean the threads up, the picture really doesn't show it but there's a big difference! Lol

vu3y5e7u.jpg

Then back home to set about making sure they don't go all minging again... Thoroughly greased all the threads then wound the adjusters up and down so they are really free, set them to the height I hope will look right and then pallet wrapped the threads über tight after another helping of grease. Cable tied either end also prevent any movement etc.

py2umy2a.jpg

Then hopefully Saturday afternoon/evening ill set about cleaning all the springs, mounts and other fixing before putting them altogether and onto the cup.

Fingers crossed it'll sit high enough as I'm not wanting mega lows!

Nick

UPDATE -

So in between sorting my Trackcup up to be sold and minting up the Budgie and I's minter 32k Ph1, I've managed to get some work done on the daily. FK Konigsports sold and subsequently the Bilsteins sold a week later so the car went onto good condition Ph1 suspension. As much as it looks like a 4x4 the ride is lovely and handles just right also for the roads round here!

Sold the K-Tec stealth and decat and went back to a standard cat and brand new cat-back genuine exhaust from Renault, with new mounts and fixings. Again another fantastic move, going from the boomy stealth to a mouse quiet drive has been very pleasant! No ringing ears after a long drive and can now chat to mates/missus (ex now) without shouting! lol On the topic of exhausts I popped in to see Cub. on the way back from Castle Combe to read the RSTuner on the car as going back to standard cat/exhaust with a gay pops and bangs remap wont do it any favours, so he read it and now I just have to wait to meet up again so he can load a 98ron cal file.

IMG_6753_zps68edc7bd.jpg

Then a couple of weeks back I did a swap of interiors with JPD172, my FF 182 interior for his standard Cup set so another move back to the it being standard.

IMG_6749_zps8257bd5f.jpg

IMG_6754_zps7437342e.jpg

IMG_6750_zps7c2ff668.jpg

I also carried on stripping apart and cleaning up my Whiteline ARB, preparing it for paint and new fixings so it'll look nice once it's fitted to the car. Nearly finished, just need to pop into my local nut and bolt place for some stainless bits to connect it all together.

IMG_6755_zpse38c73fc.jpg

Just as I was about to get the turinis powdercoated, I was offered a set of good condition 172 Cup fitment turinis in Trophy anthracite for a good price. So got these changed over and now the car looks a million times better, has turned it from a sheddy chav Cup to a much more respectable looking car! Cheers Jamie86 :)

IMG_1813_zpsb50ed49a.jpg

So here's some shocking pictures as it stands, needs a clean inside and out but pretty good progress for something that I'm not wanting to spend too much money on!

IMG_6776_zps734b26e5.jpg

IMG_6766_zps1c540008.jpg

Nick

I want your wheels! Shame I missed these for sale!

Looking good with the improvements!

What wheels? I do have a set of turinis for sale still if that's what you're after.

@Nick172Cup don't fit stainless steel bolts if it's under any load sailor boy. They're like cheese mate and stretch.

Wondered what you was on about at first but got you now! lol What type of bolts is best for it battyman? ;)

Petrol Blue 182.
You know what would look amazing on this? 182 wheels. Get rid of those paltry Turinis.

I may have a one owner set of 182 wheels shortly if you're interested? After all you owe me 30p

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
How much was the Genuine exhaust from renault? I want to go quiet and feel thats the best way to do it. They are rare as anything second hand.

So, a bit of an update. Pretty much driven/ragged this round for months and the thing is still going strong, so on my day off I thought I'd give it a little tlc...

aa5ed20cee722c3d660f6c7e39859817.jpg

b75459cbb480d579c85703528222bb4e.jpg

Changed the aux belt, oil and filter plus fitted in the standard airbox with a new air filter. So is now mouse quiet and good for another 12-18months!

I had ummed and arred about selling it on and getting something different, however the fact it's been quite a reliable/loyal car makes me want to keep it and tidy it up a bit. The 3 182 wheels and steel wheel do need getting rid of, as I sold the turinis to @couzens on here so I'm on the hunt for some silver wheels of some sort to smarten it up. Be it Oz F1's or 2118's, something that stays in keeping with roughly how it's looks as standard.

I also have some Eibach Prolines and a Whiteline ARB sat in the shed so should a nice set of wheels come into my possession soon, I'll get these all fitted up. Coupled with a set of new shocks and camber shims from the shed, that will make it quite a pleasant/spritely car again.

Also worked out how much the car owes me since initial purchase/tax/insurance to buying/selling bits for the car including all the bits still in the shed not fitted, a pretty reasonable £624.43! You definitely can't find a better car for that money!

Cheers
Nick

Last edited:
So eventually got some wheels sorted for the car! Thanks to Chip and @Budgie who combined sorting my out with a good set of Oz F1's and a full set of Michelin PE2's with over 5mm of tread on them, looks and feels a million times better now!

f1a395e39384e143c9db1960804ee0eb.jpg

e9099df5eba61e160685c50d478c1e84.jpg

0f71ebea097aeb655e37b3865c571858.jpg

7c929ac3cffbd75112669208d3718a05.jpg

Also went to the Tempest Rally near Aldershot a few weekends back, I think I made a good effort in getting it dirty! :)

320cc48ccb628572aa12cb93aee7f6ef.jpg

MOT this weekend, fingers crossed for a pass with no issues!

Nick

Iain C - Never be content with just one clio! Glad the Billies are holding up well!

Yeah still here guys, mainly just to update this thread. Been ridiculously busy with everything recently to be spending real time on cars.

I'll be about next year for some car stuff hopefully!

Nick