ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New PC... Recommend me some games!

1eight2
Bit the bullet and ordered a brand new Dell desktop last night. I know I could have got a better deal self build etc but this has everything I need with the room to upgrade.

Any gaming recommendations straight out the box? I've been out the pc gaming scene since Battlefield 2...

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Again, depends what you're after?

• Company of Heroes
  • PlanetSide 2
  • The Witcher 2 : Enhanced Edition (currently £7.49 on Steam)
  • XCOM
  • DiRT3
  • Defense Grid, etc....

D.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Wouldn't it have been cheaper and better to build a PC from scratch or is the Dell PC ready prep'd for games like BF3, Skyrim etc? I know some graphic cards struggle with those games, certainly on ultra details. Infact, I believe only 4 or 5 graphic cards can actually display those games on full settings.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Counter Strike, no doubt.

Game never gets old, and to be honest, the favoured one is 1.6.

I find Source and Condition: Zero pretty weak.

Have a ridiculous number of games i never get to play but over the past year ive always fallen back on these when i have the time:

Multiplayer:
Battlefield 3
Day Z

Single player:
Skyrim
Far Cry 3

Whats the specs on your new Dell out of interest?

C1 VTR (Company Car)
TRACKMANIA 2 - CANYON

The end.
You will get so much playtime out of this. It's so addictive. Only £15.99 too.

Team Fortress 2 is just a pure fun game!

and I get srs when I play Promod on CoD4 haha

but just for looks and graphics, Skyrim is good with the texture packs, Far cry 3 is stunning, BF3 is just awesome with the details and size.

:)

DCi
Wouldn't it have been cheaper and better to build a PC from scratch or is the Dell PC ready prep'd for games like BF3, Skyrim etc? I know some graphic cards struggle with those games, certainly on ultra details. Infact, I believe only 4 or 5 graphic cards can actually display those games on full settings.

I think there might be a bit of savings but not as much as there used to be - building your own really works if you are carrying things like the screen over (and OS perhaps ;))

But generally I think the margins have come down a lot these days.

1eight2
Thanks for the ideas guys , I've ordered

Far cry 3
Skyrim
Bf3
Rollercoaster tycoon 3 (old favourite)

Whats the specs on your new Dell out of interest?

A basic overview - £666
Intel i7 3.4ghz 8mb
8gb ram
2tb hdd
32gb SSD
GeForce 1gb GT640 (plan to upgrade)
Blu-ray drive
windows 8 pro

How will that run most games? Plan to use it for cad/revit/photoshop mostly

Good game choice :approve:

It really will depend on what graphics card you upgrade to. A gt640 is pretty much an entry level card and wont be able to handle those games well.

Any ideas on what PSU the computer has or what PCIE connections are available from it?

Last edited:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the ideas guys , I've ordered

Far cry 3
Skyrim
Bf3
Rollercoaster tycoon 3 (old favourite)

A basic overview - £666
Intel i7 3.4ghz 8mb
8gb ram
2tb hdd
32gb SSD
GeForce 1gb GT640 (plan to upgrade)
Blu-ray drive
windows 8 pro

As Semtax mentions - a lot will depend on your PSU and what connections are there for it. If you're using the above a lot, I'd recommend picking up a cheap Quadro card off eBay as it will help significantly in any form of rendering. If you use it in addition to your GT640, you can have the Quadro running the Physx function on any games that support it.

But again, as Semtax says, that GT640 will be pushed to run anything half decent.

D.

See now that's what makes prebuilt computers funny these days - they all come with i7's.

For anything but CAD/Photoshop/etc you don't need an i7, as an i5 is actually quicker in single-threaded apps (most games are included in this), but they still choose to add them in (instead of upgrading the GPU which is what they should be doing!). And while there isn't that much margin on prebuilt vs homebuilt anymore (or so you think), you are paying for lower quality components that actually have quite a high difference in price if you were to spec them. A pet hate of mine are prebuilds for the pure fact they're always cheap-ass power supplies, destined to blow up in an instant.

And as above, if you're doing CAD, you really need a Quadro card.