ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New PC help

ST1050, 320d
how much do you think it would cost to build a decent pc? Doesn't need to be too hi tec but I don't want it to be crap either haha

BMW E46 330i Touring
I'd recommend building your own if you're mildly competent, it's easy. Even if you buy a half decent base unit, there will always be short cuts taken to bring the cost down. Your
PC will only be as good as it's weakest component...

ST1050, 320d
I'd consider myself mildy competant lol. What parts would I need then? Case, motherboard, harddrive, graphics and sound cards, RAM, help me out here haha then I can look at how much this is going to cost...

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Think of the Pyramid Rule when building a PC. The core three components (in terms of real-world perfromance) will be CPU, motherboard and memory. As Ads 172 says, skimp on one of these and the other two suffer.

You could argue that there is a fourth element to this in the graphics card. But unless you're chucking a fair few £hundred into the PC pot, I wouldn't worry about this too much.

D.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Agree, people always w**k over the latest GFX but they upgrade so often that the truth is that you can get a fairly cheap card (older model, not budget brand) that will do the job for casual gaming.

There's better people than me on here for specc'ing up a system but I'll have a look for you when I get home. It's oddly fun putting together baskets on Ebuyer!

ST1050, 320d
ah cheers mate, I've had a little read up and I think I know what I'm doing. The only thing is I don't know which components are the best for the price really

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
i built a PC, about a year ago, possibly more. got all the bits from eBuyer, apart from the RAM, which i bought direct from Crucial (same price)

AMD Phenom 2.6 Quad - £120
ASUS M2N-SLI mobo - £50
Nvidia 9500 GT 1Gb Graphics - £60
Sony DVD/CD/everything (SATAII) - £15
Piano Black Case - £20
Good Quality, Quiet PSU - £40 (cant remember make)
500 GB SATAII HDD - £70
4GB Crucial RAM - £cant rememeber

cost me £420 altogether. runs all the latest games on full graphics. might have been some other bits i missed. prices are rough from what i remember. will all be cheaper now.

ah cheers mate, I've had a little read up and I think I know what I'm doing. The only thing is I don't know which components are the best for the price really

i started with the Mobo, as it was on offer, then matched everything to it :)

Last edited:
  BMW E46 330i Touring
Sorry, haven't had a chance to look at it tonight.

Tell you what's easier... go to the www.overclockers.co.uk forums and join up on there. Post a "spec me..." thread in the General Hardware forum with requirements and a budget and they'll post up various baskets of stuff that'll do the job.

Then, go and buy it from ebuyer or somewhere cheaper!

ST1050, 320d
while im waiting for my overclockers account to validate, what do you experts think on this spec? obviously i want to play blu ray on it and want it to display on my 32" tv so it needs hdmi outputs

pc.jpg

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I just put together a new system, my needs were different to yours as I needed a high speed system but not for gaming (hence the cheapo gfx card). Not on that list is a high end 128GB SSD. I would 100% recommend going SSD over hard drives for anything other than archiving/storage.

orderr.jpg

I also didn't need a case and psu as I already have high end modular psu's