ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New MBP's Soon.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
15" i5, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD.

No bother if you want a new one mate, since you know what I'm buying if I sell it. lol

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
TBH, more than that. :eek:

It's a month old and I have the original receipt/box/everything. Receipt shows nearly £1700, so I'd be looking for around £1400-1500 for it.

Ah nae problem.

TBH it sounds like its over spec'd for me anyways. I'd rather buy a MBA and a new Zeppelin Air! LOL

Mondeo ST220
5d5a5efb.jpg

827e3f58.jpg

LY 182
Oh maaaaan. Justin I'd sell you my base spec 13" MBP if I had the monies to upgrade to these newer models. Sadly I don't think I will. :(

Monaro VXR
Definitely. None of this matte silver border sh*t.

If it's as you say, I'll trade my 15" down to a new 13" and pocket the change.

Quite excited!

You use Adobe software often right? I would hang on to what you have. The fact they take advantage of the CUDA architecture in the GPU means that the Adobe software can offload a lot on to the GPU itself, GPU's now do a lot of general processing as well. Which is much faster than the CPU. These new ones with the intel CPU's and GPU mean they could potentially be quite a bit slower for you. As you lose CUDA support as it's an Nvidia only thing. Unless they put an ATI GPU in the 13" as well. Then direct compute would help out.

Which is why I am surprised Apple are just putting out the Intel 3000 series GPU which is the one integrated into the new CPU's. It is s**t, intel integrated has always been s**t and will likely continue to be s**t for a while yet.

Lack of a discrete GPU to me is a deal breaker as they are used too much now in normal applications to speed up everything. Certain tasks in CS5 take around 1/4 of the time as a result of the GPU.

Good news is QUAD CORE 17"' systems. I think one of those will be getting bought in a month or 2. The 2.2 quad cores turbo boost to 3.3ghz so should match the older i7 dual cores for apps that don't support more than 2 threads.

Last edited:
  Monaro VXR
Dont say s**t like that! You will put me off upgrading!

The 15" and 17" have a proper GPU as well, the 13.3" specs I saw posted earlier don't.

Most people buy the 13" for portability only not doing work on, so not as much of an issue on them. I was just worried they weren't going to put a decent GPU in the 15 and 17" models. But they have put a brand new 6*** series in them which is a fairly good GPU. Loss of CUDA support but Direct Compute performance will be comparable anyway so nothing to worry about there.

Just the 13" that is a little lacking in oomph, which is sort of understandable.

With the 17" expect it's graphical performance to be comparable or better than the 27" iMac.

Last edited:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
You use Adobe software often right? I would hang on to what you have. The fact they take advantage of the CUDA architecture in the GPU means that the Adobe software can offload a lot on to the GPU itself, GPU's now do a lot of general processing as well. Which is much faster than the CPU. These new ones with the intel CPU's and GPU mean they could potentially be quite a bit slower for you. As you lose CUDA support as it's an Nvidia only thing. Unless they put an ATI GPU in the 13" as well. Then direct compute would help out.

Which is why I am surprised Apple are just putting out the Intel 3000 series GPU which is the one integrated into the new CPU's. It is s**t, intel integrated has always been s**t and will likely continue to be s**t for a while yet.

Lack of a discrete GPU to me is a deal breaker as they are used too much now in normal applications to speed up everything. Certain tasks in CS5 take around 1/4 of the time as a result of the GPU.

Good news is QUAD CORE 17"' systems. I think one of those will be getting bought in a month or 2. The 2.2 quad cores turbo boost to 3.3ghz so should match the older i7 dual cores for apps that don't support more than 2 threads.

13" is more of a consumer product. Thats why i have one.

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
Sweet y0. Id be swapping for another 15" so fingers crossed they spec um right!

I think there is scope for the lower end to get more power and be more expensive.

The portable 'All I do is facebook and email' requirements for people is now filled by the iPad.

The 15" and 17" have a proper GPU as well, the 13.3" specs I saw posted earlier don't.

Most people buy the 13" for portability only not doing work on, so not as much of an issue on them. I was just worried they weren't going to put a decent GPU in the 15 and 17" models. But they have put a brand new 6*** series in them which is a fairly good GPU. Loss of CUDA support but Direct Compute performance will be comparable anyway so nothing to worry about there.

Just the 13" that is a little lacking in oomph, which is sort of understandable.

With the 17" expect it's graphical performance to be comparable or better than the 27" iMac.

So which of the 13" would you go for? Air/Pro?

Monaro VXR
So which of the 13" would you go for? Air/Pro?

That's an easy one. Pro for me every time.

The 13" really isn't that big so the extra portability isn't a big deal. The fact the MBP has a better system spec means I would go straight for that. I carry my 13" around most of the time anyway. But I want to upgrade to a 17" been waiting for the new ones to come out. My Current 13" is similar spec wise to the Air and I find it too slow now with certain things. Thing is I am more of a power user so for me faster CPU and GPU is a good thing, everyone is different. An air might be perfectly fine for your needs.

Considering leaving it until Lion appears before I buy though, going to be 2 months before I am able to get one realistically. Might as well wait an extra 2 months or so for Lion to launch. Also lets me find out if the new ones suffer from any teething issues.

Not really if you need to store your photos, music, apps, etc somewhere?

You can't sync your iPad to iPad can you?

True but I think a lot of people will have access to another computer. Maybe that's just my geeky world.

As for Air/MBP..

I'd go MBP purely because I think the black bits by the screen look better than the thinness of the Air.

If the new Pros have a silver bit around the screen, get an Air.

Well it's pretty much confirmed that the new major features are:

Quad Core processors
AMD graphics
Light Peak or Thunderbolt

As a result, I am not gutted in the slightest that I bought my MBP in December. Which is a relief, as I was worried that I would miss out on a big new update!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
f**k me thunderbolt is well fast.

Up yours USB3! now we know why intel couldnt be bothered to add USB 3 support to all its s**t.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Also a shame they decided to stay with such low res displays on the 13".

Considering the power of the i7 13"...

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
LOL, yeah im cool.

But its nice to know that mine still "looks" new.

That's an easy one. Pro for me every time.

The 13" really isn't that big so the extra portability isn't a big deal. The fact the MBP has a better system spec means I would go straight for that. I carry my 13" around most of the time anyway. But I want to upgrade to a 17" been waiting for the new ones to come out. My Current 13" is similar spec wise to the Air and I find it too slow now with certain things. Thing is I am more of a power user so for me faster CPU and GPU is a good thing, everyone is different. An air might be perfectly fine for your needs.

Considering leaving it until Lion appears before I buy though, going to be 2 months before I am able to get one realistically. Might as well wait an extra 2 months or so for Lion to launch. Also lets me find out if the new ones suffer from any teething issues.

Interesting cheers. The Air was tempting me as it has the SSD that everyone seems to rave about, though the Pro has the backlit KB and CD drive..

LOL. I probably go for the Pro. I presume it would be better for photo editing (probably the most extensive thing I do!)