ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New MBP's Soon.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I was looking into this yesterday, and from what I gather if you buy from education store they have 3 years warranty by default. The Apple care only adds telephone support :S. Therefore its not really worth the coin for telephone support as you can just pop into a Genius Bar.

Or have I got it completley wrong?

Yep, buying online through the education store online effectively gives you Applecare minus the telephone support for free.

Super meh! For some reason I was half expecting NEW models. Maybe a design change or something. Perhaps some more glass. Super HD panels. Maybe like a giant clamshell iPhone 4. Anything to make me part with two large and replace my 17".

I only use it for CS and p**n, so I shall skip these and wait for the next models. Apart from slightly shiny keys (I bash them hard remember), mine still looks brand new anyway. Not a mark anywhere on it. f**k paying £2k for a better graphics card and processor that don't get used. The general OS speed limitation for most users these days is the HDD, and considering the SSD option is nearly £900...FRO! Also PMSL at £200 for an extra 100Mhz from an already blazing processor. That would be £3k for a machine that looks and performs (for what I use it for) exactly the same.

NEIN! This update clearly isn't aimed at upgraders. More at adopters IMO. I'm waiting for the 17" clamshell iPhone 4 style machines with Retina 2, next year.

Meh it's no worse than on any other keyboard, and at least the quality is better than most anyway. Plus the light still shines through.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
;) i Have one for Djay.

DJ-M-ISO-CC_Full_A.gif

Fiat Panda 100hp
Anyone buy one of the new ones from PC World online when they advertised it wrong? They put the £1500 MBP as £1300. My Brother bought one and they've called him today to confirm the order and shipping etc.

A silver one
Anyone buy one of the new ones from PC World online when they advertised it wrong? They put the £1500 MBP as £1300. My Brother bought one and they've called him today to confirm the order and shipping etc.

He's had a bargain there. The price has gone up to £1549 now.

£1300 is better than education discount.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Only thing I'm disappointed with is no res bump on the 13 to match the Air, otherwise spec bump is rather nice.

Is it worth upgrading to the new MBP.

Reason I ask is that I had mine delivered on the 14th, called Apple today as I was pretty miffed that they have upgraded so soon after mine being ordered, and they said I can have a free upgrade and until to Wednesday to decide! Which is very nice of them. I currently have basic spec i5 MPB, only extra is High Res screen. So basically is it worth it? I think so myself, but wanted to ask on here as there are a lot of Mac experts who would say whether to or not.

Is it worth upgrading to the new MBP.

Reason I ask is that I had mine delivered on the 14th, called Apple today as I was pretty miffed that they have upgraded so soon after mine being ordered, and they said I can have a free upgrade and until to Wednesday to decide! Which is very nice of them. I currently have basic spec i5 MPB, only extra is High Res screen. So basically is it worth it? I think so myself, but wanted to ask on here as there are a lot of Mac experts who would say whether to or not.

Most stupidest question of the day award goes too...

Of course you should swap it.

Ha, thank you both.

Kinda guessed it was obvious after I asked. And Revels, I'm glad I have won an award today ;).

Even if you don't need the difference, you get the new thunderbolt thing, which makes Tom jealous and it means should you ever want to sell it, it's worth more.

Bus w**ker
1.25GBps duplex transfer speed, how could it not catch on?! LaCie will be dropping their external HDD in Summer, everyone else will be playing catch up.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
It's already caught on as it's really just PCI express with some fancy external interface technology.

Hardware vendors producing PCI express hardware need only to add the thunderbolt interface chip to their existing hardware and boom, it's already supported. No other changes, no extra drivers, no extra royalties.

Monaro VXR
yeah, because spinny disks are just that fast ;)

The interface is also there to replace display port, SSD's can already outperform SATA3. You can pick up PCIe based SSD drives that can top 1.4GBps, can't integrate them into a regular drive as there is nothing other than PCIe that can handle that kind of bandwidth really. The fact is, a faster bus is needed in the professional market.

dk

911 GTS Cab
whats wrong with the current display port?

and SSDs are too expensive for anything other than small boot disks at the moment, its just ahead of its time i guess at the moment. Which is better than having the devices but with nothing to connect them to....

Its like fabric manufacturers, they brought out 8gb fibre channel 2 years ago, and 2 years later sans are still running at 4gb/s as they can't saturate the bandwidth anyway, 16gb FC is around the corner but theres nothing actually there to use it.

Monaro VXR
The current display port hasn't changed.

Well it has, sort of. Simply put for everyone to understand it, it is plumbed into the GPU and PCI-E lanes. So that one port can now handle hooking up a hard drive, or something else or it can handle a monitor. Or both at the same time.