ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New iPhone this October??

Status
Not open for further replies.
  M2 Comp
Re: iPhone 5 this October??

I'm pretty much certain it'll be better than my current 4S, if they were taking orders now, I'd probably order without even seeing it too!

I use my phone in some form, at least every half hour so it'll be money well spent

I'm with you on that one. The contract on my '4 runs out later this year and I wouldn't even consider anything other than an iPhone tbh. :eek:

I just recall the rather lacklustre reception the 4S had.

If CS is an accurate barometer of public opinion then the reason for that was nothing more than it not looking different to the 4. Which tbh they should have seen coming given the 3G to 3Gs move. The reason many even cited as their cause of disappointment was that the difference would not be obvious to friends etc viewing the phone. To me if your primary reason to upgrade is some for of petty oneupmanship or bragging rather than the functionality of the phone then you are, frankly, a complete cretin.

And if 'lackluster' meant it broke all sales records for a phone and is the best selling phone on the planet, I think Apple would be happy with another version repeating that.

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member

Revels/Tom may be able to answer this question (I hope!)...

The upgraded processor in the 4S....do you have any idea what the capabilities of it are? If I'm right, it's the same processor as in the iPad? Does this mean that it could potentially run the new iPhone a lot faster than the 4S, or would a new processor have to be used? As, apart from the case design, I don't see what more they could do to make the hardware any better, bar a bigger screen or different camera. I have no issues with the speed of my 4S at all.

A5x in the new iPad. A5 in the iPhone 4S.

Speed is only really noticeable when you go back. The original/3G/3GS/4 all feel fine when you're using them and have nothing better. But then when the new one appears and you use it, having to go back and then you realise that it seems super slow.

A6 chip seems logical. Better battery. Improved camera. Standard stuff.

Never had any signal issues with my 4. Then again I don't hold it like a f**king spastic.

CBR1000RR Fireblade

Speed is only really noticeable when you go back. The original/3G/3GS/4 all feel fine when you're using them and have nothing better. But then when the new one appears and you use it, having to go back and then you realise that it seems super slow.

I keep doing this, I have been using Amy's 4s then gone back to using my 4. I can really see the speed difference, my 4 seems very slow in comparison..

Never had any signal issues with my 4. Then again I don't hold it like a f**king spastic.

Same, mine is still here running faultlessly, looking new despite having over 18months of heavy use with no case just a skin on front and rear.

182 FF, A6 Avant

And if 'lackluster' meant it broke all sales records for a phone and is the best selling phone on the planet, I think Apple would be happy with another version repeating that.

You know what I mean. Lot's of "is that it?" I don't disagree they could just stick it in a new case with a new chip and sell them in seconds.

Don't forget the Cook factor though. Whilst I am sure they will stick to the Apple ethos, they might want to push boundaries a little. This will have had Jobs hands all over it, but he may have stepped back early enough to not have signed off final spec.

Never above 25mpg

The signal issue is there regardless but I have a bumper and it now doesn't cause issues. I noticed the joins around the antenna on the 4S were in different places. Hoping for a nice new design too.

Don't forget the Cook factor though. Whilst I am sure they will stick to the Apple ethos, they might want to push boundaries a little. This will have had Jobs hands all over it, but he may have stepped back early enough to not have signed off final spec.

If anything, it'll be the other way around. Steve was the one that pushed for changes. Ol Timbo is a lot more conservative.

I think it'll be a new screen. Not because they need to but because they want to. Apple don't follow the crowd or do what anyone else thinks they need to do.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Timbo is a numbers man. He's more concerned about component part pricing, availability and distribution times.

Thats how Apple makes its money it only sells what it thinks it can sell. Never has surplus stock.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member

I heared the dock change rumour ages ago, but I do hope they don't go ahead with it

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member

Because the current plug is everywhere (including my car lol) so you can charge your phone wherever you go. You go over a mates house ask to charge your phone, if he has any iDevice then you can charge your phone. Same goes with the thousands of docking stations out there.

If it changes and for example I buy the new one, I then need to buy a new docking station, some sort of adaptor for my car, if my mate hasn't got the new phone I can't charge my phone etc. it's a lot of hassle for something that works fine as it is. If its not broken don't fix it.

I could probably understand if it was going to be a mini or micro USB but if they're making their own new one then it's a whole new plug to contend with again.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
That would be a great addition to increase the resolution like that. Virtually 16:9 and the screen would only need to increase by just over half an inch vertically to keep the same width but new size and res which seems doable without making the phone huge.

I imagine keeping 640 pixels wide would mean existing apps could be used unscaled and just have a bit of blank screen top and bottom until they are updated to the new res.

I think a new dock connector wont make many people happy though.

Dock connector does seem a strange thing to change. There has to be a very good reason for it.

Hundreds of millions of people have various docks, connectors, stereos, cars, cables etc etc all with the 30pin plug on it.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member

Its easy to adapt.

Care to expand?

I imagine it will be a bit of a pain tbh, your taking leads or block adapters to adapt the old with the new then that takes away the ease of just dropping it in a dock at night before going to bed etc. and I can see it being a bit like it was back in the day when every mobile phone charger was different

182 FF, A6 Avant

Dock connector does seem a strange thing to change. There has to be a very good reason for it.

Hundreds of millions of people have various docks, connectors, stereos, cars, cables etc etc all with the 30pin plug on it.

Agreed. It seems an odd one to change. But... it would sell a hell of a lot of new peripherals!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Care to expand?

I imagine it will be a bit of a pain tbh, your taking leads or block adapters to adapt the old with the new then that takes away the ease of just dropping it in a dock at night before going to bed etc. and I can see it being a bit like it was back in the day when every mobile phone charger was different

Nope, other than its easy to make an adaptor.

Like the reverse of this

usb_1.jpg

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member

Nope, other than its easy to make an adaptor.

Like the reverse of this

usb_1.jpg

Yeah that's what I ment by block adaptor, I still think its a lot of hassle for change when change isn't needed

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member

No doubt there is a reason but what does the connector actually need to do in a world of wifi?

Im only speaking from my experience here so i can only go on what I use my phone for. The connector is used for charging and putting it in my dock for playing music so I can't see a need personally for it to be upgraded, unless they have something else up their sleeve of course :)

Time will tell either way, but it could put a lot of people off buying the new iStuff because they already have docking stations, chargers and other accessories that fit the current style plug

Listerine & Poledo

The dock connector has been around for years though, like, a decade or so, surely? It's done well.

You don't see too many android phones using Mini-USB inputs anymore, they've all moved to Micro USB and for good reason. Smaller ports let you minaturise the rest of the product further.

Sure, it'll boil my water if I get this new iPhone and it made all my Apple docks and leads totally redundant overnight, but as much as I wouldn't put it past them, I'd like to think Apple aren't quite that bad.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member

The dock connector has been around for years though, like, a decade or so, surely? It's done well.

You don't see too many android phones using Mini-USB inputs anymore, they've all moved to Micro USB and for good reason. Smaller ports let you minaturise the rest of the product further.

Sure, it'll boil my water if I get this new iPhone and it made all my Apple docks and leads totally redundant overnight, but as much as I wouldn't put it past them, I'd like to think Apple aren't quite that bad.

It was on my iPod mini so it's over 10 years old.

Didnt realise it was that old lol. Perhaps it is time for a change, but like you said I hope apple pull something off that's as accommodating as possible to existing products

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Well they wont, because its going to be a gradual phase however you look at it.

Clio 172
Genuine question here:

How many times have the "Internet rumours" about iPhones been true?

Cos I always see people get worked up over rumours (not here btw), then it never happens. So just wondering if mat any point, a rumour has been spot on

Once. When someone found/sold/stole an iPhone 4 prototype.

But the closer it gets, the more accurate people are/the better the info is. So 4 months ahead, it's just educated guesses.

Astra (H) VXR
Ahh I hope not they are looking to make more money by changing the dock... All old docks made slowly redundant. Apple cream it in!! Plus it just looks like a 4 with a different back...

4GS?

They are stupid if they change the dock connector, I don't know a single person who doesn't have a iPod wire kicking about, so it will be a ball ache trying to charge the bloody thing if your away from home, but there again people will buy it and will buy new chargers and leads so they will make a killing out of it

Ph2 172

I think it's highly likely that they'll go with smaller dock connector. From a users point of view, of course it would be an inconvenience, but it's typical apple. They are trying to make things smaller if possible, so that there is more space for "electronic bits!!". It's the same approach that they are always trying to take with Sim cards.

I don't think you'll see a radical redesign, it will get tidied up, and changed a little - but I don't see it being night and day different to previous iPhones.

Status
Not open for further replies.