ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

new engine (plus car build thread)

Sunflower Yellow Ph1 172
seeing how small that engine is wonder why it isnt used for more engine transplants, hmmm small hatchback converted to rwd, 13b engine, 500bhp :evil: take it the engine is lighter than a traditional 4 pot as well?

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
im not sure its lighter tbh, for its size its STUPIDLY heavy... the 2 end plates and the centre plate are solid iron! the rest is alloy... it weighs about 420lbs fully dressed without the gearbox... the gearbox is another 100-120lbs i would guess

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
37fc5f87.jpg

this turned up today, its a ignition amplifier, need this as the more power the engine is pushing, has a tendency to blow the spark on the plugs out... especially running water injection also...

so this makes the spark s**t loads more powerful :)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
today is a big day... the turbo arrived!

i saw the size of the box and thought OH s**t! the box was massive, on opening it.... the turbo was equally as big!! this thing is ridiculous i have seen bigger but never did i expect it to be this big never EVER lol!

it fits JUST! had some calculations done last night i should be roughly seeing 470bhp at 1 bar, and 530bhp at 1.2 bar!

P1000409.jpg

P1000410.jpg

P1000411.jpg

gonna pop and get some studs in a bit to fit it to the manifold will update once its done lol!

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
I can see you are spending all of your money on the car.... rather than decorating your house :)

Turbo looks huge!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
its being decorated hence the way the walls are... waiting for the plasterer but thanks for your input lol.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Nope not watercooled no... It's a big ass truck turbo that's been re engineered used on a fair few drag cars.... Gotta take core off and rotate everything so it fits :) but was just checking it actually fitted the engine lol!! It's basically ready to fit now! Gonna go over Monday and do a few jobs on the shell then engine over mid week to get it swung in :)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Yes very tempted almost went half bridge... The engine was ported when I got it though... It would basically cost 500 for me to go bridge at any time so will run street port for the moment, prob with bridge is it becomes a pain to drive around town it idles at 2krpm and in traffic that means very high temps and harder to drive low revs plus say goodbye to any fuel ecconomy will be looking at 10mpg if lucky

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
yeh i know, and if street dont do it for me i will go bridge or possibly j or monster port... but that is a while away yet lol!

Mustang, S13, AX GT
I've been trying to kill mine for 2 years, all that ever goes is the f**king turbos! How much was the truck turbo malice? it'll be too big to be usable on the CA I'm sure but would be worth a look for next time haha

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
lol a ca or sr or even a rb wouldnt spool it! im serious you wouldnt even get a tiny amount of boost before redline!

rotarys chuck out so much air its the only reason i can run it, this is big even for a v8 lol! most v8's run the t70 p trim which is smaller wheels than this has lol!

its a master power turbo you looking at $700 ish for it, i got it and didnt get any import duties but i had to wait over a month for it... its a similar size to a hks t51kai which is a HUGE turbo lol! tbh its more to do with the rear housing than anything, im running a t4 rear which is divided so each rotor equally spins it and its a 1.00ar i think the biggest ar i have seen people run on ca's and sr's is a 0.70ar and you wouldnt run t4, t3 would be more suitable, they do a t60 that would be ok but tbh, on a sr or ca i would run a holset, £450 will get you what you need and run 400ish bhp.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
I had a feeling the one your running would be too big for a CA if it comes off of a truck :D but Im sure the same supplier could do a more appropriate turbo without costing the £650+ for a decent turbo on the S13. I'm still just learning about turbo's, I just about understand how they work in the simple terms and how they fit on the engines lol, now I'm trying to 'learn' all the different sizes and dimensions of turbo's for all these tech specs and magical figures etc that comes up. The ar numbers and housing sizes at the moment are still completely lost on me haha. I've upgraded to a T28 for ease and that should see me happy with the CA as it should see me upto 280ish and then if the turbo and engine see me through I'll be keeping hold of all my monies for a 1UZ :)

I'm almost jealous of the know it alls on this stuff and feel like a f**king outcast on SXOC because I dont know it haha..

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
guy i am learning bits off looks at compressor flow maps the lot i dont understand any of it lol!

i would have a look at the Holset HX35 dan chapman runs one and its a beast!

gs racing in the uk sell them for £450

Mustang, S13, AX GT
The HX35 from a quick look has 1.05ar though :S It'd have a lot of lag aswell wouldn't it, reading its equivalent to a GT35R!

Can you explain how ar numbers work dude?

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
http://www.g-s-racing.com/products.html

i was looking at the hx40 which has a 14cm rear housing (for some reason holset use a measurement no one understands) and from what people could work out that equates to like a .69ar the 35 has a 12cm which if i remember right is like a .54 or something, dan chapman runs one on his silvia and loves it to bits he gets mental performance out of it...

i was trying to get a holset with a 19cm rear housing which equates to a 1.00 ar