ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Car Decisions - Informed Opinions Required

That could happen on any car ;)

How's it running now? Using it much over Winter?

It could happen on any car, but then most cars don't take 5 hours to take the bloody bumpers off lol!!!

Sat under a stormforce cover on the driveway, not been driven in a month. Need to get it booked in for a service and then up for sale in the new year :dapprove:

Something more practical required.

M135i and the shed
Whilst I'm sure the VX220T is a nice drive, can someone actually post a link to where all these cracking sub-£10k cars are cause all I can see are high miler, tatty examples to be honest.

Whilst I want a weekend/second car it does need to be reliable as I don't want to pitch up to the garage having not started it for two weeks only to find something wrong with it. This is the fear I have with something like an S1 or S2 Elise. My spare time is pretty limited and I want to spend my free time actually driving rather than fixing the thing so that's another consideration on to the list. :)

S3, Polo
That red VXT is lovely.

re: where are all of the £10k cars?

Ever considered that Winter is a traditionally bad time to sell a roadster (and unlikely to sell for top whack) so most savvy would-be sellers will keep the cars under wraps until Spring?

M135i and the shed
That red VXT is lovely.

re: where are all of the £10k cars?

Ever considered that Winter is a traditionally bad time to sell a roadster (and unlikely to sell for top whack) so most savvy would-be sellers will keep the cars under wraps until Spring?

Have considered that yes, but by that logic the £10k cars will then be up for £12-13k in the summer and hence unaffordable. Either way, and despite the VX being a good drive, the discussion of them is a little pointless as I'm highly unlikely to buy something that I actively dislike the look of (mainly the rear in fairness). ;)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
It could happen on any car, but then most cars don't take 5 hours to take the bloody bumpers off lol!!!
Sat under a stormforce cover on the driveway, not been driven in a month. Need to get it booked in for a service and then up for sale in the new year :dapprove:
Something more practical required.

hmmm.... keep in-touch.

as for a link for you pooh, i have one somewhere, i just need to find it,
funny you mention the S2000, i am not going to compare it at all, but i spent all of yesterday in an S2K GT, my mate (who owns it) constantly was commenting how well it does as an everyday car, space, comfort usability, it does rip but tbh it didn't blow me away......

M135i and the shed
hmmm.... keep in-touch.

as for a link for you pooh, i have one somewhere, i just need to find it,
funny you mention the S2000, i am not going to compare it at all, but i spent all of yesterday in an S2K GT, my mate (who owns it) constantly was commenting how well it does as an everyday car, space, comfort usability, it does rip but tbh it didn't blow me away......

I know what you're saying. Having driven one I think it's got so much potential but in standard trim it's missing a little something. It sounds like some of the suspension kits available can spice the chassis up a bit and make it more playful.

Despite this search being for a weekend car/toy, I do actually travel fair distances to visit friends, family and go to events so whatever I buy needs to have a blend of performance, excitement but also reliability enough to ensure that I spend more time driving it than fixing it. :)

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Discussed that one with the owner. Needs cambelt service, clutch, front bumper has damage and needs fibreglass repair, wheels need a refurb and the plaque is missing from the car even though the first owner remembers one being fitted. Ex-RUK car owned by Jeremy T. :)

Jesus. Every picture tells a story not detailed accurately elsewhere.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
I know what you're saying. Having driven one I think it's got so much potential but in standard trim it's missing a little something. It sounds like some of the suspension kits available can spice the chassis up a bit and make it more playful.

Despite this search being for a weekend car/toy, I do actually travel fair distances to visit friends, family and go to events so whatever I buy needs to have a blend of performance, excitement but also reliability enough to ensure that I spend more time driving it than fixing it. :)

His is standard apart from a 35mm drop on Buddy-club's, we done A, B-roads, motorways and town driving, it was a little bumpy in places but certainly not that un-comfortable. But as you say, it lacks something, he is looking at putting some recaro's in it and tweaking a few other bits, but ultimately he thinks he will change it up for an Exige

Have you signed up on vx220.org.uk? Lots of cars been sold recently on there around the 10k mark. There are good cars out there.

Fair enough if you don't like the looks though. Not everyone's cup of tea.

What about a chimaera? Or a boxster s?

Ad

MK2 FRS
He is normally pretty expensive... that seems good value. Shame I didnt have more notice as he is not far from the office.

Good luck, it looks awesome!!

M135i and the shed
He is normally pretty expensive... that seems good value. Shame I didnt have more notice as he is not far from the office.

Good luck, it looks awesome!!

Have agreed a price drop from the listed price so it seems like a good buy on the face of it. The detailed pics of it that he's sent look spot on so hopefully it's as good in the flesh.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
That's expensive in my opinion.
Get onto M3Cutters as there's plenty of well looked after examples on there...check the buying guide too!

Lots of expensive little problems on there, most are easy to spot/sort out.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Massively expensive!!!! Id say £2k over.

You'll take a right bath on that if you want rid in 6 months time Poobah, id be wanting an '05 for that sort of cash tbh.

£8k max for an '03 imho, especially as ull only have 9 months left on the 10year subframe 'warranty' from BMW.

M135i and the shed
Massively expensive!!!! Id say £2k over.

You'll take a right bath on that if you want rid in 6 months time Poobah, id be wanting an '05 for that sort of cash tbh.

£8k max for an '03 imho, especially as ull only have 9 months left on the 10year subframe 'warranty' from BMW.

To be honest the age isn't a concern to me. I'm more interested in the history, servicing and mileage really. Can you post up some examples you mean gents as I've not found anything of that sort of mileage and history in my budget. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places!

M135i and the shed
Cheers Dave. Figured I'd have 5 months to get this one looked at as it's not 10 years old till May. Also have some pics taken of the subframe pick up points by the garage and there's no obvious cracks.

M135i and the shed
Haha!

Thats a very rare one, A John Cooper Model with a Jack Knight 5-Speed box as standard. Cooper Sport 5.

There is a video of Paddy Hopkirk Testing one somewhere!

Awesome little car that. If I was looking for a third car I'd be sorely tempted. :)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Right, so here's what ive found:

'03 reg, Estoril, individual interior, all the 'right' good mods, 45k miles, £10,750: http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=66611
'04 reg, Silver, black leather, all the options, 70k miles, £9,950: http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=52910
'04 reg, Estoril, black leather, all the options, 80k miles, £8,899: http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/...-m3-00-06/bmw-3-series-e46-m3-smg-2004/909102
'52 reg, Silver, black leather, no nav, 47k miles, £8,950: http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/...--original-unmolested-only-47000-miles/939911
'03 reg, Imola red, black leather, no nav, 54k miles, £9,250: http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/.../e46-m3-00-06/bmw-3-series-e46-m3-2003/903289
Black with black, all options, 54k miles, £10,250: http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/...0-06/bmw-3-series-'03 reg, e46-m3-2003/926995
'54 reg, Black with black, no nav, 67k miles, £8,475: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...postcode/rg213eu/radius/1500/page/1?logcode=p
'52 reg, black with red, all options, 76k miles, £8,499: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...page/2/postcode/rg213eu/radius/1500?logcode=p
'04, silver grey, black leather, all options, 59k miles, £9,985: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...page/4/radius/1500/postcode/rg213eu?logcode=p

Out of all of them, id probably be going for the 1st estoril blue one - its got low mileage and some great modifications, which you could just take off & reduce the buy price by circa £1500 quite easily. Imho with an M3, as there are sooo many for sale, you should always try and buy one that is slightly different to all the others, so an Individual one or a CS would be my choice.

M135i and the shed
Cheers Dave, that's helpful.

I'd seen the Estoril Blue one but to be honest my absolute max budget it £10k (that's selling a kidney max) so I really can't stretch to it even though I could ultimately sell bits on. I also don't really want a modified one if I can help it. Just like them OEM if you know what I mean? :)

Ideally I don't want to be much over 60k miles on the car if I can help it. I'd seen that £8,950 52 plate silver one but sadly it's sold as I rang them about it. Was a great looking car and a cracking advert. Would have been an awesome drive back from Loch Lomond! :D

The red one I'd also seen and think it's a decent option but (and I know I'm being a massively picky tart here) but I just don't like them in red. Sad really as it seems a decent buy and it's very close to me. I'd also really like a manual rather than SMG.

The £9,985 silver 04 is again a really cracking car but it's SMG again. Am I being too picky here? I'd just got it in my head, having driven my dads E36 and E46 M3's along with his M Roadster that I wanted manual.

For comparative purposes, the black one I originally posted has been offered to me at £9,500 rather than the listed price.

Last edited:

Ad

MK2 FRS
To be honest given the difference on the private ones above and if the OP has a discount on the fox car, it makes the price look reasonable. I can't see any 05 cars with 50k for less than 10k.

M135i and the shed
As if by some strange twist of fate, I was almost run over by a VX220 Turbo at lunch time. Being driven by a total tool, it was clearly not standard but it looked epic!

I usually don't get on with them but I'd have only been mildly annoyed to be run down by something that epic. Want.

M135i and the shed
Get that red one I linked then!

Provide me with an extra £1k and I might. ;)

Seriously though, my budget is £10k firm and I'd actually like to spend nearer to £9.5k so that red one isn't going to happen unless the guy has a breakdown and absolutely has to sell it. Couple of nice ones on VX220.org including a lovely black N/A....................not that I've spent the afternoon looking. :D

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member