ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New car - 2017 golf gtd

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
How are you getting on with this mate any problems what is current miles and mpg like ?? Considering one myself .

Any updates on the car Mcaff? How’s it running in?

Sorry not been on here in a while, have around 11500 miles on the car now not without a few issues.

The car went in for a squeak while using cruise control, turned out to be a stone stuck behind the disc. However they diagnosed a noise on startup that meant the car needed a new modified flywheel. it seemingly also needed a new clutch plate.

Other issues are more due to my driving and the state of the winter roads, I've killed 5 front tyres 4 being the passenger side front and one drivers side. also buckled 2 wheels.

Other than that I see about 40mpg witch is less than I expected. it performs pretty well although I can't help feel I would have enjoyed a Golf R more.

Its a good big bus but I can't wait to get rid of it.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Sorry not been on here in a while, have around 11500 miles on the car now not without a few issues.

The car went in for a squeak while using cruise control, turned out to be a stone stuck behind the disc. However they diagnosed a noise on startup that meant the car needed a new modified flywheel. it seemingly also needed a new clutch plate.

Other issues are more due to my driving and the state of the winter roads, I've killed 5 front tyres 4 being the passenger side front and one drivers side. also buckled 2 wheels.

Other than that I see about 40mpg witch is less than I expected. it performs pretty well although I can't help feel I would have enjoyed a Golf R more.

Its a good big bus but I can't wait to get rid of it.

Sorry to hear that mate ! 40 mpg ! What sort of driving is that all town work stop start ?

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry to hear that mate ! 40 mpg ! What sort of driving is that all town work stop start ?

Total mix, I used to take my van home from work but now that I've moved house I do a short 8 mile commute most mornings. that brings it down I recon.

Weekends and evenings can be anything from stop start around town and short blasts on the motorway.

It pretty much gets driven every way you wouldn't want to drive a diesel.

GP2
Told you they're not great on fuel, ours is on 11k too and still no better. I went Nottingham to York and back the other day, 75mph cruise control and still only got 48mpg. Her 120d was miles better than that!

Does your fan kick in loads?

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Told you they're not great on fuel, ours is on 11k too and still no better. I went Nottingham to York and back the other day, 75mph cruise control and still only got 48mpg. Her 120d was miles better than that!

Yeah its not great is it, still cheaper to run than a petrol so can't complain.

If I've been driving for a few hours it will kick in but thats not very often maybe once every 2 weeks, I mostly do short half hour drives.

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2

f**k the Mrs’ 330d does that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Im guessing the map it has is different to the one it was intended to have pre the emissions scandal ?

I will be honest mate I'm not in the know, however that was back in 2015 and I'm sure the defeat device they had in the 09 - 15 cars was just to fool the testing system that read the emissions, I could be totally wrong.

If you are asking if its slow.. a golf R would walk away from it, a 1.4tsi golf wouldn't.

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
No don't mean that, couple of friends had the new map from Vw on their cars and they drive terrible since

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
No don't mean that, couple of friends had the new map from Vw on their cars and they drive terrible since

Ah right I see, I've nothing to compare it to it drives the same since I've picked it up (excluding the problems). it drives a whole lot better than my 61 plate 200k mile transit and in some situations it cruises better than the mrs Abarth lol

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
I think they look really nice, shame you haven't gelled with it a bit more.

I love how it looks and to be honest its a really nice place to be while driving, the problem I think was I had my heart set on an R and it was just too long to wait at the time so settled for this. Coupled with all the small issues I've had I don't recon I will be in a VW any time soon after this.

The other main thing.. I ignored what everyone said about 19s and they where all right the ride is pretty shocking, loads of road noise and have cost me a deposit for another car replacing them and the tyres since the roads are so bad. They do look the business though.

If I have this for another winter I will possibly seek a set of 18s for it.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
I love how it looks and to be honest its a really nice place to be while driving, the problem I think was I had my heart set on an R and it was just too long to wait at the time so settled for this. Coupled with all the small issues I've had I don't recon I will be in a VW any time soon after this.

The other main thing.. I ignored what everyone said about 19s and they where all right the ride is pretty shocking, loads of road noise and have cost me a deposit for another car replacing them and the tyres since the roads are so bad. They do look the business though.

If I have this for another winter I will possibly seek a set of 18s for it.

Wheels make it imo .

Guy in work had 15 plate gtd with dsg and chopped in in less than a month of having it.

Didn't gel with it and the mpg was crap. Which most dervs are unless you just do motorway munching.

Our galaxy is a sitting on 35.5 mpg mixed driving and the meg 225 is at 27.6. I know which one I prefer driving for the small price of economy the sheer fun of petrol turbo makes up for it.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Despite what people will say, you would absolutely be getting less MPG in either a GTI or R.

I like the GTD. Lovely package.

You would yes but the gti would not be as far away as you would think .
I have tested both on demo same work route 40 miles about 4-5 mpg in it .

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Guy in work had 15 plate gtd with dsg and chopped in in less than a month of having it.

Didn't gel with it and the mpg was crap. Which most dervs are unless you just do motorway munching.

Our galaxy is a sitting on 35.5 mpg mixed driving and the meg 225 is at 27.6. I know which one I prefer driving for the small price of economy the sheer fun of petrol turbo makes up for it.

That's over 25% more miles per £ on the galaxy. Sure if you only spend £1000 a year on fuel that won't seem like a big deal but if you're spending £5000 a year then it might be a bit less appealing.

BMW M4; S1000 RR

I expect the difference would be bigger than that long term. A single 40 mile test on different days is hardly conclusive.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
I expect the difference would be bigger than that long term. A single 40 mile test on different days is hardly conclusive.

Exactly same route there and back 3 days running 40 miles each way ,same journey times , same times of day .so I would say it's pretty accurate both cars had less approx 6k on them too .
I was expecting the difference to be greater too. New facelift performance pack has 7 speed dsg.

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Despite what people will say, you would absolutely be getting less MPG in either a GTI or R.

I like the GTD. Lovely package.

The difference isn’t when normal driving, I can take this a blast over some lovely Scottish backroads every weekend and still see 30+ mpg and won’t drop below that, I simply couldn’t do that in a GTI.

Not to mention the GTI’s god awful red decals inside and out. Stick kick myself for not waiting for an R every time I look at my car though so I guess the fuel debate is irrelevant.

M2 Competition
Updating as I checked the other day... Average mpg on mine is 51 so far... mix of A and b-road blasts and pootling around, with a few longer motorway journeys on cruise. DSG box mk 7.5.

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Updating as I checked the other day... Average mpg on mine is 51 far... mix of A and b-road blasts and pootling around, with a few longer motorway journeys on cruise. DSG box mk 7.5.

Just seen this, ive never seen 50mpg I've done about 14k miles now and average about 38 - 42 at the very most.

Was in the VW dealer today LUSTING after the new Golf R, hopefully I can make the man maths work out come next April when this goes back...