ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need help on a engine swap!

Renault clio
Hi. I have a Renault Clio with an 1.4 engine and I wanna put an 1.6 engine into it would the 1.4 ECU be ok with the 1.6 engine I'm putting in. The 1.6 has an power steering pump would I be able to fit my pulley since I don't have an power steering pump. Cheers

monaco 172
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but you would need the ecu from the 1.6 as the map will be completely different .

Also with the power steering pump unless a power steering delete kit is ablvailable for the 1.6 I think you will have to leave the pump where it is. Assuming yours runs epas if there's no pump on your 1.4 engine.

But to be quite honest, it sounds like an awful lot of work to gain a couple of hp when a 172 can be had for less than a grand and will look much better and be faster than a 1.6 converted 1.4

Renault clio
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but you would need the ecu from the 1.6 as the map will be completely different .

Also with the power steering pump unless a power steering delete kit is ablvailable for the 1.6 I think you will have to leave the pump where it is. Assuming yours runs epas if there's no pump on your 1.4 engine.

But to be quite honest, it sounds like an awful lot of work to gain a couple of hp when a 172 can be had for less than a grand and will look much better and be faster than a 1.6 converted 1.4

Thanks for the reply mate since my engine is blown I wanted to put a 1.6 so before I went and bought it I wanted to make sure if my same ECU 1.4 would work for the 1.6 and yes mine runs with epas and you're right about it I might be the a 172 donor in the future I'll stick with the 1.4 for now get another engine thanks for your help mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
I am sorry but my opinion is this. When a car is that old and not desirebale (1.4 ) when engin goes bang, it’s usually scarp metal. For the money it will cost you to source new engine and do a swap (even if you did all the work yourself) you may as well buy a new car instead. Sell for parts, save that £200 odd quid on a new engine. Say you have 600-700 now. Buy another 1.4... unless it’s a sentimental attachment kinda thing. But either way, don’t go for 1.6. Just fit a 2.0. Plenty around for dirt cheap. Sorry just my 2p

Renault clio
I am sorry but my opinion is this. When a car is that old and not desirebale (1.4 ) when engin goes bang, it’s usually scarp metal. For the money it will cost you to source new engine and do a swap (even if you did all the work yourself) you may as well buy a new car instead. Sell for parts, save that £200 odd quid on a new engine. Say you have 600-700 now. Buy another 1.4... unless it’s a sentimental attachment kinda thing. But either way, don’t go for 1.6. Just fit a 2.0. Plenty around for dirt cheap. Sorry just my 2p

Have the car for 8 years now can't get rid of it haha and you're right I'll stick with the 1.4 and in the future I'll get a 2.0 engine in. Thanks for the advice mate