ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need a remap or not on a pipercross viper

Inferno 225
Just got on and have been reading that they slow the car dwn or is that a load if bs or will I need a remap wiv the viper on ?

lecky

ALY

Focus RS & Clio 172
The OE airbox has came out best in many tests of filters on the 172 & 182.
Open filters draw too much hot (not dense) air in which kills the power output and the enclosed filters only really move the bhp and torque lines around on the rolling road graphs rather than aid either area.
Taking the price of a panel filter in an OE box against an enclosed after market, the standard set up comes up trumps.

p.s. Remap not needed for a filter. Filter, exhaust and head work/cams etc absolutely.

ALY

Focus RS & Clio 172
I don't think you've read the last line properly. If you are changing the cams and getting work done on the cylinder head to aid the flow of gasses in addition to changing the breathing on the outside of the engine, like the air intake and the exhaust gas exit then yes you would need to have the car mapped to get the best out of it.

On a normally aspirated engine just changing the air intake isn't grounds for getting the car mapped, the results are negligible.

RB 182 195bhp
Generic after market air filters are always terrible, they pick up hot air, and if you go through a puddle it'll gulp in water and hydraulic your engine so destroy it. Renault spend years and thousands developing the sport air box, to give best efficiency, and your going to throw a £60 piece of rubbish on. Remap won't help either, as a remap doesnt make it take in cold air, just alters air/ fuel ratio's and ignition. Put the standard one back on!

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
Generic after market air filters are always terrible, they pick up hot air, and if you go through a puddle it'll gulp in water and hydraulic your engine so destroy it. Renault spend years and thousands developing the sport air box, to give best efficiency, and your going to throw a £60 piece of rubbish on. Remap won't help either, as a remap doesnt make it take in cold air, just alters air/ fuel ratio's and ignition. Put the standard one back on!

Yet the Espace V6 airbox gives an improvement but they didn't use it in the clios? I get your point totally, and just think that it's french logic all over, before I get flamed.

Listerine & Poledo
Renault spend years and thousands developing the sport air box, to give best efficiency etc.......Put the standard one back on!

Same could equally be said for the suspension but, as the average CS user will leap to saying

"Yer, but it's not designed for gangbanging bad boyz lik me, check out dis slammage y0!"

If you want your Clio to sound even more like a tractor, you get that viper in your engine bay fella, any performance difference will be so minor you will never know. In fact, because its louder you'll be convinced its quicker, whatever happens.

On topic - no, no remap needed.

Last edited:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Yet the Espace V6 airbox gives an improvement but they didn't use it in the clios? I get your point totally, and just think that it's french logic all over, before I get flamed.

lets keep in mind though that the ph1s did use a similar airbox and it was changed for the ph2, however the ph2 box is a little quieter making the engine a bit more efficient (apparently!!) so although the espace airbox is better for maximum power the ph2 box is a good compromise for power/economy/drivability, which is also another factor the manufacturer has to consider.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
lets keep in mind though that the ph1s did use a similar airbox and it was changed for the ph2, however the ph2 box is a little quieter making the engine a bit more efficient (apparently!!) so although the espace airbox is better for maximum power the ph2 box is a good compromise for power/economy/drivability, which is also another factor the manufacturer has to consider.

Indeed, manufacturers put power fairly low down on the list of priorities when developing a car, especially on newer cars, most of the "improvements" on the later F4R are there for emissions etc, not for performance.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Espace airbag makes 2bhp peak power gain and loses the same ammount on the bottom end.

From experience of testing a few different filters, the ITG maxogen is the best air filter to use with a standard inlet and it gives a good torque gain in the mid-range.

RB 182 195bhp
Same could equally be said for the suspension but, as the average CS user will leap to saying

"Yer, but it's not designed for gangbanging bad boyz lik me, check out dis slammage y0!"

If you want your Clio to sound even more like a tractor, you get that viper in your engine bay fella, any performance difference will be so minor you will never know. In fact, because its louder you'll be convinced its quicker, whatever happens.

On topic - no, no remap needed.

The same could be said, however when it comes to suspension most customers want their new car to ride pretty well and be able to go over speed bumps etc. someone who wants to do track days 7 years down the line might not care, hence altering the suspension to lose these practicalities but gain in aspects they see as important like out and out handling. That's why cars such as Mini Cooper s gp's, with coil overs as standard, or lotus Elise's with a track focused edge sell in much smaller numbers.